1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

When did you start caring about how you dressed?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jason.wu.05.09, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

When I was 18...so about two years ago. One day I was like okay it's time to dress nice. A simple good search land me in SF. Thanks to sf...I got hook into two other expensive hobbies [​IMG]...watches and cigars.

2. jason.wu.05.09

jason.wu.05.09 Well-Known Member

That is quite an amazing odyssey, NewYorkRanger. I definitely enjoy buying new stuff, but I'm not sure if I could go through that many cycles without going crazy!

3. Dudufrias

Dudufrias Well-Known Member

I think I always cared, I just sucked at knowing what actually looked nice until a few years ago.

Exactly the same here.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Since I was a Boy of Lint.
    I was dressed in a little suit & tie for Sunday school & church service, and I liked it.
    The girls liked it too. That got me hooked.

5. Schpacko

Schpacko Well-Known Member

funnily enugh, i really started caring about my clothes right after i quit smoking. I dont know if its just a coincidence or if i needed a substitute that made me feel "cool" or some psychological stuff like that [​IMG]

Maybe it was just because i had more money to spend after stopping to smoke 30 cigarettes a day.

6. clockwise

clockwise Well-Known Member

24th April 2010. Styleforum made me care. Thanks.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

funnily enugh, i really started caring about my clothes right after i quit smoking. I dont know if its just a coincidence or if i needed a substitute that made me feel "cool" or some psychological stuff like that [​IMG]

Maybe it was just because i had more money to spend after stopping to smoke 30 cigarettes a day.

That's interesting, after I started dressing well I wanted to start smoking because I think it would look bad-ass. I began caring about dressing when I was a freshman in college in 2003, however I didn't really know what I was doing, and didn't have an eye for quality, and didn't really refine my style for years later. So, it took many years and a lot of money spent. Then of course there was the 100 pound weight loss that cost me even more money...

8. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

I didn't really start looking into it until I went to work in London in the square mile and realized I was completely outclassed at work. My baggy Hugo Boss or lesser suits weren't cutting it. I also lost ~30lbs when my tenure there was up so I came back thinking the weight would come back. And while I waited for that to stabilize, I investigated SF and AAAC for a good year before I was confident my weight was set and started collecting.

It also coincided with a promotion at work and my initiative to instill professionalism in my new department.

9. zenga

zenga Well-Known Member

I believe I started paying attention to how I was dressed at the age of 10.

10. Scoundrel

Scoundrel Well-Known Member

At risk of sounding cliche: midway though college, about ten years ago. In one's youth seems like a normal time to become conscious of one's appearance.

11. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

52...was tired of looking like a rural Texas teacher.

O, snap

12. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

June 19, 2009. Had a severe heart attack while at the amusement park with my son. While recuperating, I found that I couldn’t do my usual intellectual heavy-lifting book-reading and I’ve never been a fan of television, so I looked into my library for some light, frothy reading and found a copy of Alan Flusser’s Dressing the Man that I had bought (and soon forgot) after seeing a copy in Brooks Brothers a couple of years back. All of a sudden, I cared! Lights went off! Mysteries were revealed! After reading that book cover to cover and mentioning it to one of my better-dressed office colleagues (one who secretly thought me something akin to a proletarian potato farmer given my past habits of dress), I was directed to the discussion boards and Will Boehlke’s “A Suitable Wardrobe.” Well, I had to read each and every one of his archived posts, bought more books, found more blogs, and off to the races I went.

Today, I am just shy of 40 pounds lighter thanks to a disciplined diet and regular exercise and I am in need of a completely new wardrobe. The new ties are pretty much in place. I will begin my bespoken adventure this summer.

13. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

From age 6 till age 17. I took a break from dressing well from age 17 - till now.

14. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Well-Known Member

Today! I lost 38 lbs and have always gotten by just buying cheap clothes and wearing sweaters. Unfortunately I'm already 24 and need to buy everything...joined this forum for help!

15. iotan

iotan Well-Known Member

Late middle school. Started noticing the ladies and figured that dressing better couldn't hurt with them. On the flip side my style interest over the years has made me more critical of the ladies who themselves are not great dressers (although honestly, other assets and positive traits can easily override that deficiency).

16. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

In post #32 of this thread, I noted that I didn't care then and don't care now.

After reading subsequent posts in this thread, however, I now do care.

In fact, I care so much that I am on the verge of tears.

Thank you, thread.

- B

17. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

In post #32 of this thread, I noted that I didn't care then and don't care now.

After reading subsequent posts in this thread, however, I now do care.

In fact, I care so much that I am on the verge of tears.

Thank you, thread.

- B

This thread was your road to Damascus Vox...

18. goldenbraid

goldenbraid Well-Known Member

when i was about 8 or 9 and my mom tried to dress me in a pink turtleneck with animals printed on it. it was then that i started to care. from then on i dressed myself.

19. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

when i was about 8 or 9 and my mom tried to dress me in a pink turtleneck with animals printed on it. it was then that i started to care. from then on i dressed myself.

She was fed up dressing you up and she did it on purpose...

A pink turtleneck with animal print on it...That was harsh and I was a kid during the seventies...

20. ProfessorShak

ProfessorShak Well-Known Member

I always cared but didn't REALLY know better until I got my first office job, and even then, It took the president calling me out and me asking how I looked to make me aware that I knew jack squat about how to dress and what makes good quality clothes. 3 yrs ago, when I first heard of Allen Edmonds and saw the price, I swore I would never be caught in them. I now have 5 pairs [​IMG]

PS - I thank SF for the sales threads which allowed me such luxury without pissing off the misses or the bank [​IMG]