1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

When did you start caring about how you dressed?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jason.wu.05.09, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jason.wu.05.09

jason.wu.05.09 Well-Known Member

Most of us, I believe, probably didn't worry that much about how we dressed when we were younger. But when did you really start paying attention to your wardrobe?

For me, I'd say it was when I was in college.

2. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

3. kgmessier

kgmessier Well-Known Member

Everyone wants to look good, right? I suppose I didn't start paying serious attention to my wardrobe till a couple months ago. Late to the party, you could say.

4. nytek

nytek Well-Known Member

5. Exit English

Exit English Well-Known Member

I think I always cared, I just sucked at knowing what actually looked nice until a few years ago.

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

Everyone wants to look good, right? I suppose I didn't start paying serious attention to my wardrobe till a couple months ago. Late to the party, you could say.

Yes, I was rather late to it was well, to my shame. I'd say it was a couple years ago now for me.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Started caring: about fifteen or sixteen. That equalled wearing vineyard vines, polo, etc.

Really started caring: about twenty. That means investing in 'real' shoes, suits, etc. It all started with reading about interview attire on StyleForum... And then I got really hooked.

8. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Around Age 4. At this time it had to do with "Cowboy Suits"
    and "Soldier Suits" ( World War II, etc.)

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

10. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

for suits- towards the end of law school when the need arose

everything else- when my gf wanted me to look better

11. tshaw

tshaw Well-Known Member

When I left the 'priest/brotherhood', left my black robes behind and then had to find something 'suit'able to wear. [​IMG]

T

12. Brennus

Brennus Member

when i lost 36 Kilo's, needed a complete new wardrobe, did some googling and came across styleforum.net

13. petr

petr Active Member

14. Fat-tie-knot

Fat-tie-knot Well-Known Member

Around 14 when I went to highschool. Important distinction is 'care' about dressing well versus actually dressing well.

15. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Well-Known Member

During my Master's degree. Though it wasn't until I started my PhD that I really tried to "dress like a grown up" and save the jeans and faded t-shirts for lounging about home or quick trips to the store.

16. Guy-Montag

Guy-Montag Well-Known Member

114 F in the summer, 40-75 F in the winter.

I'd worked as a fashion photographer's assistant for a bit, so I knew what high fashion looked like, but it'd been jeans and a t-shirt from college till recently. New job, wearing khaki's and a polo as the standard IT uniform. Then they asked the IT staff to start wearing dress shirts and I thought "Hah. Two can play that game."

It was just a joke at first, but the compliments were so nice that it stuck.

Now it's pocket squares, vests, boutonnieres, pocket watches, and some really nice looking ties.

People really do treat you differently when you dress nice. Everyone says 'Sir', which is nice, a bit weird and slightly amusing.

17. anon

anon Well-Known Member

During my Master's degree. Though it wasn't until I started my PhD that I really tried to "dress like a grown up" and save the jeans and faded t-shirts for lounging about home or quick trips to the store.
    same here. then i found sf and really started caring

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I don't remember the age, but it's been most of my life. My parents kept me and my siblings dressed well, and my dad and his brothers taught me basics at an early age.

19. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

20. cotton

cotton Member

After losing a significant amount of weight and transferring to a new office for work. Prior to this I was a loser and dressed the part. Was still wearing shit I had worn in high school, picked out by my mother.