1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What's your weakness?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Aug 9, 2003.

1. JurassicJon

JurassicJon Active Member

Wow...considering I am a lot younger than most of you (18), my list will look quite different from what most of you have replied:

Sneakers: I don't wear them that often, but for some reason I am attracted to sneakers. Though they don't cost that much (my most expensive is a pair of America's Cup Pradas, which were about $200 more than my next most expensive pair), it's kinda' a waste of money considering I wear sneakers like once a month. I usually wear Birkenstock clogs or my Tod's drivers...so, yeah...I guess I have a sneaker fetish or something...

Jeans: Now this is my true passion. I wear jeans almost every day and I just can't get enough of them. I have jeans by Levi's, Diesel, and Lucky, and own 5-10 pairs from each company. I'm currently looking to expand my collection, hence the "designer demin" post I made a couple of days ago...

Watches: While I don't have a huge collection, I do own a Tag Huer Monaco (a replica of the one Steve McQueen wore in Le Mans) and an Omega Seamaster. Not much but considering I'm only 18...

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Well-Known Member

A newbie in NYC here.  Can you tell me where these stores are?  The other I know.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Anything beautiful that has been crafted by hand.

4. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Mine's cologne... I dont have alot of $ to spend on big super high-quality clothes, but I just love cologne...

That and great deals... I love it when i find a nice peice of clothing for suuuuper cheap, and fits me...

Combine those two, cologne for great deals, gives me an even bigger rush... Recently I got the small-size bottles of NEW YORK by KENNETH COLE and LATITUDE LONGITUDE by NAUTICA (i know its old, but its still great) for $19.99 CAD.

5. Joe G

Joe G Well-Known Member

In the summer of 02, the Viennese department store E. Braun & Co (across from the Stephansdom anchoring Graben) cleared out all of their merchandise in order to facilitate a complete redesign. The prices were absolutely unbelievable. Think Kiton and Brioni ties all marked between e25 and e35, Brioni jackets for e400 (sadly, none in my size), Ferragamo trainers for e40. Needless to say, nothing good lasted long.

Unfortunately, I went back in September when it was done, and the store's a bit of a hellhole now. Whereas before they had all manner of wonderful stuff, from Kiton, Brioni, and Ferragamo to well-edited selections of Valentino and Dolce & Gabbana, and a staff composed of long-time associates with serious knowledge they've turned into just another me-too Zegna/Armani Collezioni dump with white leather all over the place and a younger, more ignorant staff dressed in cookie-cutter boxy Zegna affairs.

Peace,

JG

6. thc

thc Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Lattanzi and Tanino Crisci stores as well.
    A newbie in NYC here. Â Can you tell me where these stores are? Â The other I know.
    They're both on Madison. Tanino, which makes great leather goods in addition to shoes is around 68th, i think. Lattanzi is around 72nd across the street from Ralph Lauren.

7. thc

thc Well-Known Member

Here are my weaknesses. They're focused around my favorite brands

Helmut Lang,
    Calvin Klein Collection
    Jil Sander
    Valextra
    Mandarina Duck
    A. Testoni
    Goldpfeil
    Loewe

General things:

Nice leather accessories for every sort of function you can imagine--e.g., tie cases, pda cases, etc.

Silver

Shirts

High quality cashmere tops

8. bankerjon

bankerjon Member

Quality - although a significant weakness for dress shirts, ties, shoes, and fountain pens...

I have tried a number of times to discern the genesis of my tastes to no avail - oh well, why fight it?

For those who are interested...  There was an article written by Owen Edwards in GQ about 7 years ago.  It addressed the "pull" certain objects have on us - he suggested we defined ourselves by these posessions... A good read...

9. mrprlover

mrprlover Well-Known Member

What I would do to have only ONE weakness. [​IMG] I wish... As a 22-year old still in college, my weaknesses are out of control. The Techy/Goofy (I study at Ga Tech) side of me can't do without the latest in gadgets. These include anything from the latest Titanium PowerBook G4 with the matching 15GB iPod, to the newest 5MP Sony digital camera and the portable 10GB drive. I can't help it. On the clothing slash style side...I can't control buying the next pair of jeans. These range from all prices, fits and colors...Zara, Diesel, G.Armani, you name it...low rise, wide leg, boot cut...I try them on and if they look ok and feel right, they're mine. [​IMG] On the other hand, I can't put down a good bottle of cologne. The last time I counted I had 15 different bottles. I get them as gifts and buy them. It don't get no better than Eternity. A good watch is also on the list...but at my stage I find them rather pricey. Im waiting for my Kinetic to get back from the shop. I have a fetish for nice watches, though right now I only own 4, none costing more than a buck and a half. I promise myself to get a better one(s) upon graudation and a higher salary. (Im sure we all say this.) I think that is all. The list goes on but I think I'll stop here with the top 3/4. Can't wait to hear more.

10. Valmont

Valmont Well-Known Member

blonde swedish girls... conti wine whatever the vintage comes as a remote second weakness.

11. stuarts8

stuarts8 Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect old topics but my weaknesses are French cuff shirts, cuff links (novelty ones especially for casual wear).
    and Nice ties.
    Cheers
    Stuart

12. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. How much we are each alike yet very different. I have many passions. Shoes, ties and even dress boots. But they are just a part of who I am. But when I moved here to Guam all those passions changed because I can not get them here and shopping on the NET is no fun.

13. Zubberah

Zubberah Well-Known Member

My passions are largely similar to everyone above - clothes (Versace mostly), watches, pens, accessories but also wine (4,000 bottles) and rare European art films from the masters (>1,000) and books (over 5,000).