1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with black trousers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by samsnee, Jul 29, 2011.

1. roblumba

roblumba Member

What about Black Trousers with something like the dark brown Marlows, dark brown belt, and a dark colored striped or checkered button-down shirt for fall / winter. I happen to have a skin complexion and dark hair color that looks good with darker colors.

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

I replied to this thread a long time ago on page 2. I think I have a better answer now. Black is dull and boring. It lacks any depth or richness to the color. In fact, it has no color. The color looks dead and flat. Dark grey, dark brown, and dark navy can all look close to black while still maintaining some depth and richness.

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

What about with a mid gray or dark gray sportcoat?

4. Superfluous

What about it? They're not black...

5. Cant kill da Rooster

I'm asking if you think that black trousers can look good with gray jackets.

6. Superfluous

Oh, I missed the sport coat part of it. I guess so, I'd rather wear a grey sport coat with Navy, brown, or a contrasting grey though.

7. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Ignoring the debate about whether or not black is acceptable, I wouldn't do this with dark gray, as the colors are too close, and you really want some contrast between odd trousers and jackets.

8. Cant kill da Rooster

Yeah that's fair but I think closer to a mid gray sportcoat can work. I am not advocating buying black trousers but if you have some and need to pull them off then I would do this and add some colour.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  9. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

10. rick07

rick07 Well-Known Member

Thre's nothing wrong with it. Keep wearing your trousers and pair them with your sports coat or blazers, etc.

11. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

I would say some of these no-go's are not completely arbitrary:
    Polyester: Makes you sweat and gets shiny after wear
    Fused suits: Do not fall as elegantly and will last less long

Some are a matter of taste:
    Square toe shoes: I think they look just disgusting, but that is purly subjective
    Black pants: I think they look boring compared to navy, greys or browns, but again this is purly subjective
    Black shoes: I think a high quality pair of black cap-toes on a elegant last looks just great, but other do not like them

And then there is "Made in China": Some in the US and Europe associate it with low quality (by the way, this is also associated in Europe often with anything "Made in USA" which is not IT), some associate it with exploitation of labor, some with infringement of IP rights...I think China moved way beyond the point that such generalizations still hold.

12. Gorecki

Gorecki Well-Known Member

Dont. everyone in the real world (inside SF) knows that you should only wear triple shenenigans bespoke grey woll trousers and pair it with some funky looking jacket that will make you look like you live in the 30's... that is the sf way to go!

Style Forum Charlestons... (rock is too modern....)

13. Orsini

Orsini Well-Known Member

Who cares what peons do in China!