1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What's the most powerful movie you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by furo, Oct 3, 2010.

1. MrKaizen

MrKaizen Well-Known Member

I own the book and bluray version of The Road. Just don't have any interest in either. I'll give the book a shot this month and see if the movie would be worth it.

I didn't read the book but the movie is very strong, disturbing in some scenes but a strong movie.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Me, too. My wife figured out what it was about and declined to watch. When I went to bed after the movie and she asked me what happened, I literally broke down in tears as I explained it.

Watched this tonight. Man, this movie is rough. Very good, but you couldn't even make that story up. I was surprised that it took the turn that it did.

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Tsotsi
    American History X also Missippi Burning
    Diving Bell and Butterfly
    Fog of War
    Blue Velvet -the first time I saw it.

As a kid, a few that stuck in my head:
    Dr Zhivago
    The Birds

4. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

For me, it's certain scenes that still resonate.

The first time I ever saw the opening credits for "Mean Streets" I was literally slack-jawed.

The home movie montage in the middle of "Raging Bull" always, always leaves me in tears.

And for complete nostalgia: the helicopter scene in "Superman." My parents brought me to see it when I was four. I remember the theater erupting.

5. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Well-Known Member

Rocky IV -- "if i can change, you can change. everyone can change."

toward the end of the Drago fight when Adrian goes, "You're gonna do it!" still gives me goosebumps (0).

6. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

7. Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito Well-Known Member

1) There will be blood
    2) Boys Don't cry
    3) Basketball Diaries
    4) No Country for Old Men
    5) Forrest Gump
    6) Saving Private Ryan
    7) Oldboy
    8) Good Will Hunting
    9) The secret in their eyes
    10) The Unforgiven
    11) The Guardian

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

The Third Man.

The ferris wheel scene is a big time winner.

9. Scrounger

Scrounger Well-Known Member

Yup. Followed by my two personal favorite scenes: the fingers through the grate and the incredible final shot.

10. DavidSmith

DavidSmith New Member

Hi Friends,
    I my view Naked Lunch is the most powerful movie i ever watched and that movie was very interesting.

11. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "The Mission". I loved that movie, and Ennio Morricone's score is beautiful.

12. Opermann

Opermann Well-Known Member

Anyone ever see Baraka? Just 65mm footage set to music. Very moving and thought-provoking. Also the remastered Blu Ray looks amazing and is regularly used as a reference disc to show off home theaters.

13. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

Ferris wheel?

14. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

For me, it's certain scenes that still resonate. The first time I ever saw the opening credits for "Mean Streets" I was literally slack-jawed. The home movie montage in the middle of "Raging Bull" always, always leaves me in tears. And for complete nostalgia: the helicopter scene in "Superman." My parents brought me to see it when I was four. I remember the theater erupting.
    If we're talking powerful scenes, the most faithful thing to the mood of the comic book in the Watchmen movie was the opening montage. That was really powerful storytelling.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

16. velobran

velobran Well-Known Member

I didn't read the book but the movie is very strong, disturbing in some scenes but a strong movie.

Disturbing and saddening. Especially if you have a young son.

17. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Disturbing and saddening. Especially if you have a young son.

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the movie yet. I thought the book was superb.

18. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Anyone ever see Baraka? Just 65mm footage set to music. Very moving and thought-provoking. Also the remastered Blu Ray looks amazing and is regularly used as a reference disc to show off home theaters.

Baraka is excellent. There's a scene that always comes back to me - the crowd of monks all chanting "Dak! Dak!Dak!Dak!Dak!Dak!Dak!" together.

Along similar lines, Koyaanisqatsi blew me away the first time I saw it, and Latcho Drom is amazing.

19. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Baraka trailer:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Baraka is excellent. There's a scene that always comes back to me - the crowd of monks all chanting "Dak! Dak!Dak!Dak!Dak!Dak!Dak!" together.

Along similar lines, Koyaanisqatsi blew me away the first time I saw it, and Latcho Drom is amazing.

yes for Baraka & Koyaanisqatsi both. The Dak! Dak! Dak! is Indonesian Kecak (Ketchak) & is one of my favorites. Seeing this performed live is incredible.

as for movies... +1 American History X. I'll add Amores Perros, Pi, Rabbit-Proof Fence, and City of God (one of my all-time fav films)... all powerful as in moving.

for powerful as in just f'd u up & can't sleep now.... Funny Games & Audition. If you watch Audition, note that I'm not recommending it per se... it's truly disturbing J-Horror.