1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What's the deal with this guy in the bathroom? (Public Bathroom Etiquette)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by patrickBOOTH, Jul 11, 2011.

1. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

No way! Is that actually how they go to the shitter?

2. div25sec9

div25sec9 Well-Known Member

What's with the hostility towards Canadians, eh? The picture is from the US, so I was just randomly guessing why you crazy yanks would be hanging up white flags of tp. The international symbol for surrender is a white flag, so that is why it was a guess.

...and this looks like no fun; especially in a suit...squatting, trying to keep the clothes out of the way and things pointed in the right direction...

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

the ever flushing toilet struck at work again today. For the past few days, it's been as quick as ever.

But this afternoon, I was in the stall keeping it real, and some guy flushed the left most urinal. And it kept on flushing. And flushing. I actually laughed out loud while it was flushing. I checked my email. Thought about turning the timer on my phone on, but I didn't since it had already been going for a while. Then I wiped up, got myself presentable again, and left the stall. Yep, still flushing. I knew the guy who flushed it and saw him as he was about to leave and shot him a "wtf is up with this" look, and he advised that I jiggle the handle, but i refused. I thought about taking a video, but nah, what if somebody walked in on me filming the urinal. I washed my hands, and as I was drying them it stopped. I would not be surprised if it was a 5 minute flush.

yes, that story is completely true.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Wait, what?

So your coworker took a leak at a urinal and flushed, but the water kept flowing? Was he just standing there, looking at the urinal all confused the entire time you were in the stall cleaning the dingleberries from your buttocks and until you exited the stall to wash your hands?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

a lot do. specially in rural chinese/taiwanese areas.... I've had far worse experiences when I was a kid spending summers in taiwan.

6. gomestar

brushed teeth. Should have mentioned I guess.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

When you guys take a leak at the urinal, do you stare down at your junk while pissing, or do you look straight ahead at the wall?

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

It's been discussed. If you are alone fine. If somebody is in there and you do it, kill yourself.

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

45 degree angle so both wall and wang is in peripheral.

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I make eye contact.

3 people like this.
  11. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I concentrate on aiming my piss at the drain or at an angle so that I don't get teeny weeny pee drops splashing back.

1 person likes this.
  12. Scribe

Scribe New Member

Here's one for everybody. The other day I was in the john at the Metra Station in Chicago and this guy comes in with what are obviously his daughters. They're little, maybe three and five. I felt both horror and pity for the guy. Even at the slowest of times, the herd tramping in and out of the can at the Metra resembles the crowd from the Cantina in Star Wars. Anyhow, the guy heads over to the stalls (which are full) and attempts to distract his kids from the ensuing chaos around them, things were hopping-a couple of trains had just come in. No luck, they were wide eyed with amazement. I have two daughters and remember the days of being out with them and breaking out in a cold sweat when they mentioned that they had to go. Luckily, they both have bladders the size of of medicine balls, so this dilemma was minimal. Fortunately, his wait wasn't too long (quicker than mine waiting for a urinal) and he was able to scurry into a free stall. Out of the pot and into the fire, is there anything more disgusting than a toilet in a train station? Maybe the facilities at the Greyhound Station in Detroit, but this place runs a close second. I felt really bad for the guy, but when a kid has to go, they have to go. After they got out of there, I hope he hosed them down with industrial grade disinfectant.

13. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

This would be great for my kids (twin boys)! As it is, when one is taking a sh!t the other is usually in there w/ him jabbering away about what was going on in school, hockey practice, etc. I think maybe b/c of the twins aspect their BMs are amazingly synched - you always here the other one saying "hurry up, I goota poop!" This set-up would be perfect....

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this.

2 people like this.
  15. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

You're welcome. It was posted in the spirit to which this thread consistently inspires...

16. patrickBOOTH

There was somebody in the only bathroom stall on my floor for a long time today. It was annoying. When I left and came back in who walks out, but my boss to leave me with a war toilet seat and shit streaks in the bowl. Lucky me.

17. gomestar

i grabbed a drink with the mastermind behind this thread, patrickBOOTH, on Saturday, and the place we went to was Maialino. I love everything about Maialino, all the food, all the drinks, the location, etc. etc. It's great. But the bathrooms were a little meh.

For clarity, they are actually the bathrooms in the lobby of the hotel that the restaurant occupies, and while it doesn't feel like they're totally separate and out of the way from the restaurant, in many ways they are.

The rooms themselves are very nice and well appointed. The paper towels they use are excellent (I'm going to do some research on this). The toilets were powerful.

The problem is they are two single toilet rooms that are unisex. Coupled with the fact that women take forever to do their shit, it means that there's always a line. I was always standing behind a group of 4+ women, and their chit chat struck me as weird. The second time I went, there was some dude behind me who was talking about peeing himself, it was way weird. I would have had a much better experience if one was designated for men, and the other for women. The problems that can arise from the two-uni are numerous (some fat dude on a chili dog high leaves streaks and a rotting smell for the stick thin 23 year old in a cocktail dress to find out .... or, even worse, the thin chick is the one who leaves the streaks).

Still, these could be some of the more intriguing bathrooms in the NYC restaurant scene simply because of the unisex designation.

1 person likes this.
  18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Thank you for raising them right. Eventually, this thread will need new blood if it is to become multi-generational, and the little romafans seem well on their way.

19. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

This thread continues to deliver on so many fronts. Thanks, gomestar.

Also agree that Maialino is great. I always propose it on expense-account meals :D

20. gomestar

if you go on the early side and sit at the bar, they have a menu of $5 plates. We ordered 3 of these, and good god were they delicious. The bill only ended up high because of copious drink (but the more you drink, the more "this one is on the house" you get)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013