1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What's the best Proteine shake

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by IndianBoyz, Aug 4, 2009.

1. why

why Well-Known Member

Nutritional pseudoscience is fun. I especially like the way bodily systems are anthropomorphised to facilitate the verbs proxied for actual scientific terminology.

2. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Here's my weight gaining shake recipe:
    1-2 modest scoops of ice cream (your choice of flavor)
    However many scoops of protein it takes to get 60g of protein in your shake
    3/4 cup steel cut oats
    1/2Banana
    A few tablespoons of peanut butter
    Mix with Milk

But why would he (or you or anyone, for that matter) need all that protein? You've got modest amounts of protein from the ice cream, peanut butter, and oats. You've got a healthy amount of protein from the milk. And then, on top of all that, your throwing a whopping 60 grams of protein powder in? That must add up to close to 80-90 grams of protein in one sitting.

If he thinks his flaggelance is bad now, see what happens when he's taking all this protein in one sitting that his body can't absorb, not to mention peeing, pooing, and farting money away.

There's nothing wrong with your shake, but I'd say cut the protein by half.

3. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

That's the case in point: is a reliance on supplements a dietary issue? I always saw it as one, since people that relied on protein powders tended to not know what to do without one. It's a little too rigid for life. I wouldn't want to go to a restaurant and not know what to get because there isn't Myoplex on the menu. Like I said in another thread, I just see supping and dining as more satiating than eating -- both in the social and nutritional sense.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm not fond of criticizing the concept because people are stupid/take it too far/etc..

My primary assumption here is that a protein shake every now and then doesn't have any deleterious effect on the drinker. So if someone was trying to lose or maintain weight, a simple whey shake every day or twice is a day is relatively low-calorie and high in protein.

The other pro- for shakes is convenience - I'm always running late in the morning. I haven't tried it yet, but a homemade protein shake with real fruit and fiber is something I can drink while I'm driving to the office. I have grabbed a Starbucks smoothie every once in a while lately (280cal, 15g whey protein, 5g fiber) and it keeps me going just fine until lunch without getting hungry - no better or worse than three eggs and a whole-grain waffle or something else I could throw together fast in the morning.

4. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

So how much protein can the body absorb at a time?

5. oroy38

oroy38 Well-Known Member

But why would he (or you or anyone, for that matter) need all that protein? You've got modest amounts of protein from the ice cream, peanut butter, and oats. You've got a healthy amount of protein from the milk. And then, on top of all that, your throwing a whopping 60 grams of protein powder in? That must add up to close to 80-90 grams of protein in one sitting.

If he thinks his flaggelance is bad now, see what happens when he's taking all this protein in one sitting that his body can't absorb, not to mention peeing, pooing, and farting money away.

There's nothing wrong with your shake, but I'd say cut the protein by half.

It's a weight gaining shake, and assuming he's working out a lot, then the extra proteins he gets from that 1 weight gaining shake are going to aide in muscle repair and in bulking up to his desired weight.

It's more about the calories than the protein itself, but if the shake is all carbs, then it's not going to help at all with muscle repair.

Why,
    Nutritional pseudoscience? Honestly? All I did was take what I learned when becoming NASM certified and put it into terms that everyone can understand.

6. turbozed

turbozed Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the amount that goes specifically towards muscle protein synthesis? Or are you talking about used as in 'not wasted'?

The answer to both questions is...'it depends.'

7. why

why Well-Known Member

Why, Nutritional pseudoscience? Honestly? All I did was take what I learned when becoming NASM certified and put it into terms that everyone can understand.
    It's a prescriptive method without a context. It also focuses on a few factors to determine a result when those factors have a causal effect on other factors involved (e.g. bodyweight, lean mass, training schedule, program, etc.). Lots of the stuff is wrong or arguably pointless as well (protein amounts, timing, etc.)
    What time?

8. Big Pun

Just realized how dumb my question was. Anyway found the answer.

9. why

why Well-Known Member

Just realized how dumb my question was. Anyway found the answer.

It's probably a misleading answer if it gives a limit like 50g/2 hours.

10. turbozed

turbozed Well-Known Member

It's a prescriptive method without a context. It also focuses on a few factors to determine a result when those factors have a causal effect on other factors involved (e.g. bodyweight, lean mass, training schedule, program, etc.). Lots of the stuff is wrong or arguably pointless as well (protein amounts, timing, etc.)

Yeah but are *YOU* NASM certified??

Didn't think so mister smartypants.

11. Big Pun

It's probably a misleading answer if it gives a limit like 50g/2 hours.
    I actually the answer was, I don't really give a shit. [​IMG] I've decided I'm not going to waste money on any powders or supplements. No need to overcomplicate things.

12. why

why Well-Known Member

I actually the answer was, I don't really give a shit. [​IMG] I've decided I'm not going to waste money on any powders or supplements. No need to overcomplicate things.

[​IMG]

13. william

william Well-Known Member

This is the best decision. I use protein powders as a convenience thing...like when I'm out of food and need some protein before I go to the grocery. You may want to get some for those type of occasions.

14. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Well-Known Member

Protein powder is a supplement and not a food. When your bodybuilding and trying to build mass you need 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Say your 200lbs. It's very hard to eat 200 grams of protein in a day and most people grossly over estimate how much they take in a day. A standard piece of chicken (4 oz) is roughly 20 grams for example. Most people can't eat all the protein they need in a day from whole food. So protein powder is used to meet your macro needs and help keep the right macro balance, say 40/40/20 of carbs/protein/fat when bodybuilding. I don't get it when people say o I'm not going to use powders or o you shouldn't use protein powder. It's great stuff when used in the right context if you need it.

15. why

why Well-Known Member

This is the best decision. I use protein powders as a convenience thing...like when I'm out of food and need some protein before I go to the grocery.

[​IMG] How long are you at the grocer?

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

[​IMG] How long are you at the grocer?

Could be a long time. When I was six my father went to the grocery store to pick up some cigs. Took him 27 years to make it home.

lefty