• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dayton sells that boot that people are buying for $400 retail. People bought it for $275 + Shipping.

But, price is irrelevant. I don't think the giving the customer a discount reserves the right to ship a defective product.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guys, it sounds like a minority amount of people got a bad product. I wouldn't worry too much. That happens with any run.

Islander

Reaction score
^ Also, it is normal to pay up front and wait for custom, made-to-order shoes, and I would say three months is a reasonable time frame. I'm not defending poor communication or subpar quality boots that get out the door but it is all pretty normal for an old school shoe/boot maker (see Alden).

This thread is a train wreck, and I don't really want to fan the flames of this debacle any more than I already have, but Dayton has been around for what, 70 years? I'm sure they know their business pretty well and don't need your $275. They make their money selling boots to ******* bikers and loggers and cops and firemen, not taking phone orders from impatient fashion dudes on the internet. I'm sure if they could go back in time they would not take so many low-margin, high-maintenance orders.

The whole concept of trying to meet a deadline with made-to-order clothes or shoes seems marsupialed to me. Isn't the whole point to just get it right?

Hope it works out for everyone. (0)

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Cannot agree more on your comment. My brother's MTO Alden took five months to finish and he was happy because it was earlier than he expected.

However, if you have followed this thread from the start, you will notice that the problem is not just a 3 months of production but 3 months of production that was initially said to be a 4 to 6 weeks, followed by 8to 10 weeks, 13 weeks, and now 3 months going strong.

Not only is this because they are merchants, but I believe that as grown up people they should keep their promise when they made one, especially when it is tied with money and trust.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wings - horns sells them for 799.00 how did you pay for them again?
Cool remind me to send you defective product on the buy-sell forum here and when you complain say you got a good deal.

1esproc

Reaction score
Alright well for those who still care, I received my pair today. I think they misplaced the order as I emailed them on the 10th, and two days later they said they'd been shipped with the tracking number showing they were sent out the day I'd emailed them. No harm, I wasn't sitting at my door (well at my desk at work) clamoring for them. It'd already been a long time, couple more weeks is no skin off my back.

I went with the less popular Distressed Brown. I'm not sure if anyone else ordered this colour, people weren't dying for it like the nubuck at least.

Honestly, I like them more than I thought I would. I was worried from some of the showroom pictures earlier in the thread that the Distressed Brown might be a little too distressed to the point of being distasteful. Not the case in my opinion. I wear a 7.5 in Alden Indys, and went with a 7EE and it fits beautifully. Only issue I have with the boots is that the heel on the right could be a little uneven. Sitting, I can rock my foot on it (you can kinda of make this out in the profile shot below), but standing it seems to be okay. I imagine with some wear the sole will become more flexible and it'll relax to a better stance. So, what's a post without pictures:

XO3BR.jpg

awIeX.jpg

BcLIA.jpg

In17i.jpg

O54EN.jpg

wQrDh.jpg

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of you guys make it seem like Dayton is doing a favor to it's customers for delivering a non-defective product in a reasonable time frame.

Exactly. You wait months for Alden but I don't see a thread filled with complaining about the quality and delayed/mixed-up orders. I see a thread filled with people dropping serious dough on Aldens. Funny how that happens.

They make their money selling boots to ******* bikers and loggers and cops and firemen, not taking phone orders from impatient fashion dudes on the internet. I'm sure if they could go back in time they would not take so many low-margin, high-maintenance orders.

Defending Dayton for their high quality boots when they are clearly not is lulz for real.

Cops and firemen! The only difference is dudes here don't associate with such blue-collar rabble, so they don't hear about it :rotflmao:

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FINALLY got my boots a few days. The brown are solid, look and quality- the nubuck right boot is also solid, but the left is total ****. Major issues, will post pics later. Haven't read too far back in the thread, but it seems guys are having the same issue.

altemp

Reaction score
I think my boots are caught in Canada Post hell. Expected delivery was the 7th, still not here a week later. Tracking says they're still in Montreal. No fault on Dayton, just another annoyance.

kalZomb

Reaction score
Just wanted to post and say I got my grey nubucks today. Beautiful boot, sizing is perfect, received a tracking number and email response from Dayton. Would buy from Dayton again.:nodding::nodding:

Islander

Reaction score

You wait months for Alden but I don't see a thread filled with complaining about the quality and delayed/mixed-up orders.
You obviously don't follow the Alden thread.
Defending Dayton for their high quality boots when they are clearly not is lulz for real.
I'm not defending anybody. It seemed to me that a couple of members could not wrap their heads around the fundamental issue Dayton was confronted with, and the venom being directed at them seemed disproportionate. Yeah, I own a pair of the W+H boots and I like them enough after three years that I ordered a second pair during the sale. Other than that I don't really care about Dayton, I was just pointing out the obvious.
Cops and firemen! The only difference is dudes here don't associate with such blue-collar rabble, so they don't hear about it :rotflmao:
If your online persona is any indication you are a tool, "lulz for real"

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If your online persona is any indication you are a tool, "lulz for real"

The "rabble" characterization was tongue in cheek, don't get all flustered.
You upper middle class kiddies are too uptight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads