1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What's the appeal of the wings/horns x dayton service boots

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Astronaut888, Jan 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

i'm a width D usually, but because I sized down so much I got a EE and it fits perfect on the sides.

I did not size down went down one size so hopefully my E will work out.

2. onijo84

onijo84 Well-Known Member

^ how are your boots cmng along? have they darkened much?

3. blazingazn

blazingazn Well-Known Member

^initially I was disappointed because they became really dark now they have dried up a bit and become much lighter.

I think over the next few months with some summer exposure and use, it should adjust to a lighter brown that I desire.

4. onijo84

brannock 11 C/D( 11inches) - told 9.5EE. sounds logical?

5. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

sounds more logical than my

brannock 6 -> 6E -_-...

6. Islander

Islander Well-Known Member

Just put my order in, went with the distressed brown. Still don't have my mind made up though, my first choice was charcoal nubuck, but talking to them about the leather lead me to choose another. Person I spoke with said it doesn't match the thickness/quality of other Dayton leathers. Anyone have the direct from Dayton boots in charcoal nubuck that could comment?
    I dropped in and they have a pair of non-W+H charcoal nubuck service boots on display (size 9.5, still with the "made for W+H" leather sole). The non-distressed nubuck is thick but soft as lambskin, with an almost suede-like hand. Gorgeous leather lining in the vamp area. The nubuck looks/feels somewhat 'delicate' for lack of a better word and will get beat-up very quickly with any use at all. From a few feet away they are definitely dark grey, not black-black as you probably know. They also had two pairs of non-W+H service boots in a dark grey rough-out leather on display. Very nice but more of a workwear look. This leather closely resembled Alden's reverse chamois "Earth" colour (check out Winn Perry's Little Tanks for pics of what I mean). The third black option was straight up black leather. I previously owned a pair of first-generation black leather (non-nubuck) W+H x Dayton service boots and sold them because of sizing issues. Without the W+H distressing Dayton's distressed brown looked the best in my opinion, but I have been looking for a pair of black boots for a while (I already have chromexcel Aldens, as well as brown RMW's and Butteros). After careful deliberation I ordered a pair in charcoal nubuck (TOJ collared moto has been calling my name). $279 + tax... wut?!?!? Sign me up! [​IMG] EDIT: Sizing PSA - Brannock size 12D = 11.5D Trubalance = 45 CP = 46 MMM = Dayton 11E

7. blazingazn

seems quite accurate.

8. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Well-Known Member

so what size did you get? 11? EE or E?

9. Islander

so what size did you get? 11? EE or E?
    Edited above. They build the service boots on a wide last (EE) and my last pair felt too wide for me. Dayton's "normal" width is E, so I got 11E (EDIT: same situation as irbe above; E width sized down one full size). If you have never owned these before, they are roomy. One of the disadvantages (for me) of the W+H models was that to the best of my knowledge they were only ever available in EE. I could be wrong about that though.

10. onijo84

Edited above. They build the service boots on a wide last (EE) and my last pair felt too wide for me. Dayton's "normal" width is E, so I got 11E (EDIT: same situation as irbe above; E width sized down one full size). If you have never owned these before, they are roomy. One of the disadvantages (for me) of the W+H models was that to the best of my knowledge they were only ever available in EE. I could be wrong about that though.
    Having read your post, i am thinking if i shld change mine to 10E instead of 9.5E..should i?

11. blazingazn

onijo if you're not wearing an insole you should be okay.
    did Dayton suggest that size? they are usually okay with sizing, for the most part.

12. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

just talked to the owner and he said the oiled brown is by far the better choice for a rainy climate. He was saying the charcoal nubuck is much more thin, and that he would not wear his in the rain.

So brown it is. 4-5weeks.

13. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Well-Known Member

fuck me, debating between the nubucks and the distressed browns. Someone sway me one way or another before this deal is dead.
    I vote for nubucks. Too many dark browns available (i.e. katahdins) already.

14. Islander

Having read your post, i am thinking if i shld change mine to 10E instead of 9.5E..should i?

Lots of people with normal to narrow feet wear the EEs, they're just on the wider side. It's not that big a deal. If you measure a full size or more on the narrow side (as in a Brannock C width or narrower) you should consider doing an E.

If you plan to use an insole, or have normal width feet, I think either E or EE will be fine.

If I had every option available to me (which we do in this case), I would either size down one in E width or size 1.5 down in EE width, depending on how I wanted them to fit and whether I wanted to wear an insole.

onijo if you're not wearing an insole you should be okay.

Basically this.

I vote for nubucks. Too many dark browns available (i.e. katahdins) already.

Same here!

15. constantine.

constantine. Well-Known Member

Just ordered the nubucks, sized down one. Amazing customer service.
    With the topy and shipping came to 319 canadian or 331 us.
    Thanks to whoever posted the sale info originally.

16. thomasec

thomasec Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, here's the email I received from Dayton:

"Because of the larger than expected response to Anniversary Sale, I have agreed with our staff to extend the deal 4 more days and the deal will now end
    At 5 PST on Sunday, April 17th."

17. bapelolol

bapelolol Well-Known Member

thanks for the reassurance. i already ordered my pair a few days ago. just wanted to clear any superstitions i had haha.
    did you get a 6e or 6ee? I'm the same size and unsure which width to get. No insole

18. irbe

irbe Well-Known Member

I dropped in and they have a pair of non-W+H charcoal nubuck service boots on display (size 9.5, still with the "made for W+H" leather sole). The non-distressed nubuck is thick but soft as lambskin, with an almost suede-like hand. Gorgeous leather lining in the vamp area. The nubuck looks/feels somewhat 'delicate' for lack of a better word and will get beat-up very quickly with any use at all. From a few feet away they are definitely dark grey, not black-black as you probably know. They also had two pairs of non-W+H service boots in a dark grey rough-out leather on display. Very nice but more of a workwear look. This leather closely resembled Alden's reverse chamois "Earth" colour (check out Winn Perry's Little Tanks for pics of what I mean). The third black option was straight up black leather. I previously owned a pair of first-generation black leather (non-nubuck) W+H x Dayton service boots and sold them because of sizing issues. Without the W+H distressing Dayton's distressed brown looked the best in my opinion, but I have been looking for a pair of black boots for a while (I already have chromexcel Aldens, as well as brown RMW's and Butteros). After careful deliberation I ordered a pair in charcoal nubuck (TOJ collared moto has been calling my name). $279 + tax... wut?!?!? Sign me up! [​IMG] EDIT: Sizing PSA - Brannock size 12D = 11.5D Trubalance = 45 CP = 46 MMM = Dayton 11E
    Funny the wings and horns nubucks look pretty sturdy from the pics. I know they will not hold up like the oil leathers hoping I can at least spray them down to protect them and beat them up a bit.

19. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    vince
    vince
    wh x dayton

are these the charcoal nubuck? FUCK I CANT DECIDE.

charcoal/brown [​IMG] [​IMG]

HELP [​IMG]

20. ysb

ysb Well-Known Member

are these the charcoal nubuck? FUCK I CANT DECIDE.

charcoal/brown [​IMG] [​IMG]

HELP [​IMG]

Get both. Many on the forum have done the same. If I were to choose one, though, I'd get the nubuck, as there's many options for nice brown boots, but the nubuck seems pretty unique.