1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

what's a higher priority purchase, suit or 'formal' blazer/sportscoat for a 19 year old college stud

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by italianopalo, Jun 15, 2012.

1. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

All the blue suit advice is very sound. However, I do not know anything about your social
    activities, but for most occasions, a blue blazer with grey slacks will suffice. If you already own the
    appropriate trousers, you can save money by just getting the blazer.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. Snedley

Snedley Well-Known Member

Get the navy blazer in a mid weight wool. You can wear it year round for all sorts of uses.

3. Snedley

You haven't even seen the thing and you're giving dopey advice about alterations. My advice is to try on a number of different styles and brands and find one that fits off the peg.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Sleeves are typically cut long, because it's a lot easier to take fabric in then to make some where none exists. Even if you buy a jacket the right length, the sleeve usually needs to be shortened a bit. Also, a lot of suits these days are cut fairly large to accommodate fat people, especially cheaper ones. As a result, it's often best to take in the waist a little. And pants typically come unfinished, so yes, they'll need to be hemmed.

Even if you get a suit that fits off the rack, it will still benefit from a visit to the tailor. I listed off alterations that will virtually always need to be done with the hem and sleeves. Jacket waist often should be done if you're young and slim.

As for your advice about the blazer, you're right that a blazer can be worn in a variety of situations. But in just about any situation that calls for a blazer, a suit would be perfectly appropriate. The jacket from a navy suit could double as a blazer, should push come to shove. But there are a number of occasions when a blazer really isn't enough- and interview, for example. A blazer wouldn't get you kicked out, but the step up to a suit would give a much better impression. A conservative suit can also work for formal events- say, black tie optional. A nice wedding or reception, which isn't out of the picture for college/med school. There, a blazer absolutely would not work, but a navy suit would. Since the OP is thinking of this as an either/or, the suit is pretty clearly the much better option.

If you're going to imply that I'm an idiot, you'll have to bring a lot more to the game than that.

5. Snedley

I assumed you knew I meant to hem the trousers but this SF so who knows. You wear a suit before altering it because it conforms to your body after wearing then alter if necessary. I've never had to shorten the sleeve once in 40 years on a suit and you certainly don't want to look like PeeWee Hermann (or perhaps you do) or unless you're a kid and thinks some girl is looking at him (wishful thinking) and she'll botice your sleeve is 1/4 " off [​IMG]

6. jt10000

jt10000 Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack this, but if the fabric is close to 150s, is there any chance it will be particularly fragile? I'm looking for workhorse suit that doesn't need special care and those Danile/Boronis look great.

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Super 150s will be very fragile. I personally won't buy anything over 120s if I believe that I will wear the suit more than once per week. A workhorse that will last a few years would likely be made of something between 100s and 120s. It won't feel as buttery as a finer cloth, but you won't burn though the fabric too quickly either.

8. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Ahh no?

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/sartorial-mythbusting.html

As Jeffery notes they can be fragile, but there are plenty of good wearing ones.

9. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

It is true that they can be hard-working but it is highly dependent on quality, mill and everything else. If the guy is getting just one work-horse suit there is little chance of him being able to discern the durability of a Super 150s suit in the store. Also without mentioning the price, there is a good chance that a "Super 150s" at a "highstreet" price will actually just be a fudged number and a light cloth.

As Jeffery points out, it is dependent on the cloth. I have Super 100's at 8oz that has worn through faster than a 160s at 8.5oz, but 120s in various weights that out lived both. If you're at the stage of asking a forum how durable a cloth is based on Super Number instead of wool type, weight, weave etc then its best not to try and navigate the durability minefield of a high super number cloth.

10. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Getting say 2x2 (not 2x1) fabrics would be just as simple a summary, but far more effective...

11. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

I am really surprised that the blazer suit never caught on.

12. italianopalo

italianopalo Member

Hi again, sorry if I'm bumping this thread, was busy finishing off some hellish exams. And no, I'm not a genius :p, I live in New Zealand where people apply for med school after a compulsory pre-clinical introductory year, although granted we only have 2 medical schools in the country. It's a 5 year course, compared to the 4 year american MD programs.

Thanks for all the advice, I've decided to buy a handmade, NZ made charcoal or navy suit which I can get at outlet prices (~700USD including all alterations) from a reputable tailor, definitely in 100% wool, if my size pops up at the outlet within 2 months. It seems like a well-fitting slim blazer is a lot harder to find than a modern, slim-cut suit, but the NZ market is relatively tiny so I'll make do with what's available. I'll definitely have to make sure the suit's not worn where copious amounts of alcohol is likely to be consumed :)