1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What would you do in my situation...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bicktrav, May 30, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Did they at least get the sleeve-shortening right? Any time I've had alterations done I've always had the tailor mark or pin the garment, and usually hold it in place for me to look at to indicate approximately what the finished version would look like.

2. BUSP

BUSP Active Member

Heh. Not if he hires competent counsel.

3. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Yeah, they got the sleeves right. I'll definitely have anything I'm being pinned before having it altered from now on. Very sound advice.

4. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

For me I'd rather demand a refund and not deal with them ever.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

As for now, I'd follow NewShoes's advice - hope they have it right today, but if not, give them the alternative of either giving you an unaltered new tux, or face the reversal of charges on your credit card and potential legal action. To be prepared for that case, again, take photos of yourself wearing both the altered and the unaltered jacket.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Time is short. I suggest you immediately start pursuing alternatives. Have a friend "buy" the other tux from the shop for you today. Tee up an outside tailor on the phone and let him know you may be bringing in a tux for alterations over the next couple of days and will need it complete within a week. If the original store-altered tux doesn't look right tomorrow, reject it and deal with your credit card company to do a charge back. Take the new tux to the outside tailor and enjoy your wedding!

Some will say this is not the most honorable way of dealing with a merchant, but I would not hesitate to employ creative approaches when faced with such appalling customer service and you stand to be cheated.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Post this thread on twitter, and call out the store by name.

8. mafoofan

That would undermine the solution I suggested--particularly if this thread then got tossed into Dumb Threads as a result.

9. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Well-Known Member

This seems to me to put ALL the liability on the tailor and the store for using him. You acted in good faith and they are not acting in good faith to the full extent so far.
    I do think the credit card dispute needs to be initiated immediately if the repairs are not acceptable today so the money is credited as soon as possible.
    I stand by the point that it needs to be stated to them that the only thing you have done that has gotten you to this point is to have chosen this establishment and to work with them on the solution that seems to not be coming. It is possible for things taken in to be let out again with no trace but that will have to be seen. Poor pressing of the coat may make it lose the look that attracted you to that tux.
    BUT, you could also be dazzled by what they do to undo the errors.

10. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Hopefully I'm dazzled. My intent is simply to get what I paid for. I don't care about anything else. I want a tux that looks good one way or another. If it isn't fixed today I'm cancelling the charge on the card. Already lining up some other options.

11. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

There's a part of me that wants to do this. But my purpose in posting was to get advice rather than bashing a brand (attractive as that may be). I don't want this to turn into a trash-talk-fest. I just want sound advice on how to deal with it. That said, if you're really interested in knowing more details, you're welcome to send me a message.

12. rick07

rick07 Well-Known Member

See how it goes then if it still isn't up to par then just cancel the charge.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

You'd be surprised how quickly stores act when they get called out on social media (if they are active.) If the story is exactly as you say, there is no doubt where fault lies, and who ought to be financially responsible.

Seriously, though, do not let this ruin your wedding. If you are not satisfied with the results, refuse to take the garment (that way, they can't claim that you were satisfied with the garments), tell them that you are going to do a chargeback with your cc company, and then buy the other tuxedo, and walk out the door. If you are afraid that they will refuse to sell you the other garment, and you can't get that tuxedo from another local store, just ask here (you need to tell us the brand and, if not the model, then at least give a thorough description, and the size), and you'd be surprised how quickly some answers might pop up here on where you could find one. If it is not something extremely rare, the chances are that it is available elsewhere.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

The threat of doing so might be more effective than informing the store (because they have no idea) that you already did it and there is nothing they can do to change that fact. Many local TV stations and newspapers also do stories on situations like this as part of a "problem solver" series. This is a valid threat when you ask them, "how do you think people will respond to knowing how you botched something so simple as a tux for one of the most important days of my life and refuse to do anything to remedy the situation?"

1 person likes this.
  15. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

16. rebelrebel

rebelrebel Member

I think these people aught to be named and shamed.

17. mafoofan

As I suggested earlier, why not just have a friend of his buy the other tuxedo now? That way he has a backup. If he doesn't wind up needing it, the friend can easily return it to the store.

18. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

That was a clever idea. Would be interesting to see if the store would sell it or say were they were holding it for someone thinking they would need it as a backup for this situation.

19. mafoofan

It's what I would do. As I mentioned earlier, it may not be the utmost honorable or gracious way of dealing with a merchant, but they are not treating him in a way that deserves it.

20. bicktrav

bicktrav Active Member

Quick update: Called the store yesterday before I went in, and the alterations on the tux weren't done yet. Apparently, the tailor is really having at it right now (he finally took measurements, and used pins and chalk). It's supposed to be ready this morning. I'm going in in a few hours. Will post an update. As far as naming the brand/store, if anyone is interested you can send me a message; I'd be more than happy to divulge. And if the tux comes back flawed today, and they don't offer me a refund or the new one, you can be sure I will be plastering the brand and store name all over this thread and beyond.

Last edited: May 31, 2012