1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Connemara, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

^^ Is that what a union pilot at a main airline makes? You wanted to pilot a regional jet, right? I saw a Michael Moore movie (I believe it was Capitalism) about how those guys make 25-30K and are massively overworked.
    First year at a regional you make about 20k the next few years 30-45. Once you make captain its around 50ish then on up from there. Main line first officers have low pay (about 60k) first year then close to 100ish after 3yrs or so. Its very bad pay to start but there are still pilots who make over 200k a year, granted they're about to retire and have been at that airline for 30+yrs. As far as work rules go you are guaranteed a minimum 11 days off as a regional FO, but you will def have some very long work days, short overnights, and be very tired. My friend has been at a regional for 3yrs makes mid 30s with 15 days a month off. He could pick up and extra flight or 2 a month and clear 40k if he wanted to. Oh and the guys in that movie who said they were living off of food stamps were probably embry riddle graduates that have 200k in student loans.

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

If you want to be a player be a lawyer, an accountant, or a corporate banker (not even necessarily an investment banker). You build a ton of connections, your work will always be in demand (even during down times) and you will almost always make a ton of money.
    There are plenty of unemployed lawyers with gigantic law school debt that would like a word with you. If you want to make good dough, become a dentist. Those guys can rake it in. My first job out of college (1994) was as a courier for a title insurance company. I don't remember what my salary was, I am sure it was something like $10/hr. But I met my wife there, so it paid off anyways.

3. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Well-Known Member

$25,000 this year through multiple avenues.

4. trader

trader Well-Known Member

1000 a month in 2006-7, teaching english in thailand. i lived like a king though. barely had to work and lived in a hotel on the beach

5. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Once my fixed expenses are accounted for, I would have around $800/mo. in discretionary dough. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I'd be living in a city and thus wouldn't be driving my car daily...so really, food and entertainment are the big things there. I think that's doable on $800. But I really want to save money and that's going to be a struggle.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Dude, don't be such a bitch. You're making 33k in a city with a very low cost of living. If you can't find a way to make that work without feeling sorry for yourself, that's pathetic.

7. jesask

jesask Well-Known Member

$22,000 in 1996

8. Connemara

Dude, don't be such a bitch. You're making 33k in a city with a very low cost of living. If you can't find a way to make that work without feeling sorry for yourself, that's pathetic.
    I know. I just wanna be rich! [​IMG]

9. suited

suited Well-Known Member

First year at a regional you make about 20k the next few years 30-45. Once you make captain its around 50ish then on up from there. Main line first officers have low pay (about 60k) first year then close to 100ish after 3yrs or so. Its very bad pay to start but there are still pilots who make over 200k a year, granted they're about to retire and have been at that airline for 30+yrs.

As far as work rules go you are guaranteed a minimum 11 days off as a regional FO, but you will def have some very long work days, short overnights, and be very tired. My friend has been at a regional for 3yrs makes mid 30s with 15 days a month off. He could pick up and extra flight or 2 a month and clear 40k if he wanted to.

Oh and the guys in that movie who said they were living off of food stamps were probably embry riddle graduates that have 200k in student loans.

I'm sure these guys love to fly, but I'd really prefer the guy flying the plane I'm in to be paid adequately.

10. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

$45k in 2007. I have since moved up one tax bracket.
    Once my fixed expenses are accounted for, I would have around $800/mo. in discretionary dough. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I'd be living in a city and thus wouldn't be driving my car daily...so really, food and entertainment are the big things there. I think that's doable on $800. But I really want to save money and that's going to be a struggle.
    That's not that bad man. $800 a month in disposable coming out of school ain't bad. I think I had less than that starting out, thanks to student debt, credit card bills and rent.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

$45k in 2007. I have since moved up one tax bracket.

So, living in Canada, you're making 45.5k now? [​IMG]

12. borderline

borderline Well-Known Member

What is your alcohol budget? Or does that fall under "entertainment". Probably there are guys here spending $33K/year on shoes...

I think the main issue is, is there any negotiation on the starting salary? Or does it mean that if you take this job it automatically means you get 33K. You don't want to leave any money on the table.

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

pm me about that

^

I know, right? I'm making a list of who is buying the Styleforum crew dinner in January in NYC.

Adds thenanyu.

14. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

So, living in Canada, you're making 45.5k now? [​IMG]
    My mom gave me the extra $500 for my birthday and I reported it as income by mistake.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

My mom gave me the extra $500 for my birthday and I reported it as income by mistake.

[​IMG]

I remember getting taxed on my paper route...in Grade six.

16. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Well-Known Member

I'm in a different situation, since I live in an area with an incredibly low cost of living and a lack of great jobs for people without specialized education, but my first year out of college I made about $30K (2008) with an INCREDIBLE benefits package. Since then, I left that world (graphic design for a manufacturer) to work with a very small, and very underfunded non-profit program making significantly less. I have savings, though, and I'm in school to fulfill my requirements to sit for the CPA exam, so I was able to indulge the desire to do some do-gooder stuff while i'm in class.

17. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Well-Known Member

$47K in 2002 @ a NYC DAs office.

Always dreamed of being a prosecutor, so turned down BigLaw at 2 1/2 X the salary. I love my job and have had tremendous success. Still question my decision quite regularly.

18. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm sure these guys love to fly, but I'd really prefer the guy flying the plane I'm in to be paid adequately.

I, obviously, agree 100%. Those salary numbers are all thanks to pilot unions.

19. Connemara

What is your alcohol budget? Or does that fall under "entertainment". Probably there are guys here spending $33K/year on shoes... I think the main issue is, is there any negotiation on the starting salary? Or does it mean that if you take this job it automatically means you get 33K. You don't want to leave any money on the table.
    I haven't been drinking as much as I used to. But I guess I'll have to start seeking out those $1 or $2 happy hour beers. [​IMG] There's no negotiation. It's a public sector job so you just start at the same amount as everyone else. At the interview today, they told me two things that kind of impressed me. The benefits package is extremely comprehensive and worth about $15,000. Secondly, they only promote from within, so if I distinguish myself there should be opportunities to advance.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

^

I know, right? I'm making a list of who is buying the Styleforum crew dinner in January in NYC.

Adds thenanyu.

I'll buy a round of beers.

Not that expensive Belgian stuff though [​IMG]