1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What to wear with navy plaid pants

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by realmozart, Apr 11, 2016.

1. realmozart

realmozart New Member

I would like to know what smart outfit I could make with navy plaid trousers, I'm not sure what type of shirt, tie, jacket, and waistcoat I would wear. It's for a formal event, if there is anything else you need to know just tell me, thanks in advance.

It is similar to these pants, http://www.next.co.uk/x57398s1#362932x57

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. IChen

IChen Well-Known Member

Um definitely solid shirt and maybe midnight blue or navy jacket that is solid? I would want jacket to be the stand out piece not pants.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Is it possible to get different pants? There really isn't any great option here for a formal event.

A nice sweater would look decent to good, but inappropriate for a formal event.

A gray jacket (with patch pockets and a rough texture so as not to be confused with a jacket that belongs with a suit) might look decent.

If you don't own a suit...it might be time for you to get a suit.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I'm wondering if the pants are not a proper tartan, which would make sense, as an alternative to a kilt. I've definitely seen it. If that is the case, go full rig: black dinner jacket (tuxedo), black bow tie, opera pumps, white formal shirt with studs.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with @Claghorn , though I suppose that you could make the thing work with all solids. It will be an unusual look for sure, though.