1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What to do about suit and sport jackets not fitting the naval properly?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mixedmajik, Sep 23, 2013.

1. RoyalPaJamas

RoyalPaJamas Well-Known Member

Great pics!

The issue, as some have mentioned and as is neatly illustrated in these photos, is the rise of the trousers. The jacket should button and the pants waist should both locate approximately at the navel. The shirt/tie would then be covered by the jacket, even with open quarters, hands in pockets, etc.

While many modern jackets do have a buttoning point slightly higher than the navel, it is the low-rise trousers that allow exposure of the shirt.

2. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Well-Known Member

Lots of great responses guys. Ballmouse what you show in those picutures is exactly what I prefer...feels a little odd that I as a student in my younger years am an advocate for that ancient time style and dislike the apparently modern style that my agegroup must prefer these days.

Justaguy....well harder to not be self-conscious about it when you're posting pictures like that haha. I see your point though.

Modern styling + the trend of lower rise pants + some popular media celebrities of today I would say are the conclusions we've come to about why the open quarters are looking like this more and more. On top of that...not much a tailor can do about it and it's really not as faux pas as I thought.

Richard it's reassuring to know other people were wondering about this. I've learned a lot here that I wish I'd known before.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. mixedmajik

Just letting you guys know Antonio Centeno put up a great video today about this. I'm subscribed to the guy but dang I wish he had put this up a month ago before I bought my most recent 3rd jacket. Almost seems sticky worthy for noobs...is there a better place to put this? Do you guys agree with what he's saying? Any extra steps I should be taking when considering my next jacket besides the doing better homework on the quarters? To be honest I think I will use different pants next time just to make sure. The thing Antonio mentioned about the arms is something I didn't realize that probably would have given me a good indication that the jacket wasn't going to go long enough for me. Granted my arms are extremely long but these jackets I have are not even going past my wrist...granted like I said my natural proportions are not normal.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. The Louche

The Louche Well-Known Member

This video is a good primer for a noob -- I'll give you that. But it doesn't directly address the 'exposed waist' issue that we're discussing here. You can very easily find a jacket that is a good fit given all of the criteria outlined in the video -- including a lack of the 'dreaded X' -- yet still allows for an exposed waist.

5. mixedmajik

True thats why i thought there was probably a more beneficial place to have put it. I honestly do think my jackets fit well otr like you alluded to in every respect other than this exposed naval triangle which is a shame.