1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I tried 5ghz, didn't help.

2. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Well-Known Member

I want to try listening to some vinyl again. Does anyone have a recommendation for a turntable under $1,500? Do I need to spend more money to get a good one?

It will be hooked up to a pair of Focal Diablo Utopias and a Devialet 200.

I can spend more but I rather buy a cheaper one to start and then if I like it I could buy a nicer one later if needed.

3. gam29

gam29 Well-Known Member

Rega RP6

Though you can get great turntables for less. The Rega RP3 sounds great and costs ~$900 new.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. LeatherBoot

Hmm with cartridge that pushes me over my budget...is there one that is almost as good for a bit less or is that the best in the price range by a mile?

5. gam29

gam29 Well-Known Member

To be candid, normally you want all the components in your system to be of similar quality, otherwise you will always notice where the weakness is in your system. I have heard an RP3 and RP6 hooked up to a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers. Both sounded great though the edge goes to the RP6. On my setup with Paradigm Studio speakers, the RP3 is a great match.

The shop I was in usually recommends the RP6 for speakers like yours. You should be able to find one used at a slightly better price with some patience. Alternatively, you could buy an RP3 and upgrade it. There are some relatively inexpensive upgrades you can do to the RP3 that will greatly enhance the sound. Changing the belt, power supply, upgrading the platter, etc.

I'm assuming you'll also need some money for a nice MC cartridge for the table?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Rega's. If you ever want to upgrade you can easily resell them on Craig's List. I would suggest trying it for a while and seeing how much you actually use it. Lots of people get enthusiastic and enjoy LP's and truntables, but after 6-12 months slip back into easy to use music formats.

7. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

The Rega is a great starter, I agree with the group. The only other option is an older Linn, but they go for really good money now.

I also agree with above. Once you set your stuff up to stream, it's hard to invest in the hassle of LPs.

8. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I guess it makes sense in the same way , I have a kindle why get into hassle of buying antique leather books? I have aluminum folding knife with a built in fork and spoon I am never going to buy full Silverware set. etc etc.

9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I get it. Some may invest in the hobby, but most end up back at the easier alternative like streaming.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

That's what I do these days, using a PC or smart-phone. :) I like listening to music, but don't really have the time, space or disposable income to invest in a proper system, Nice thing about streaming is, have access to one hell of a music library.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. patrickBOOTH

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I still come in from time to time Patrick. :) I'm more active on tech orientated forums these days, the ones about Android devices in particular.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  13. patrickBOOTH

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Look at the VPI Scout series. You should be able to find new or B stock in that range with a small discount.

15. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

AF - thoughts on the Revel Ultima Salon2s + McIntosh amp setup? I'm moving in a couple of months, so nothing in the near future. I haven't kept up with the latest. I recall you like electrostatic speakers. I guess I'm old school and what traditional speakers.

I was helping a friend pickout a portable stereo and asked them to do a blind test within a price range for me. I really liked the combo. Amp was the MC302.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  16. Artisan Fan

I would try two routes for the Revels which are superb speakers.

1. Solid state - Pass Labs

2. Vacuum Tube - Audio Research

McIntosh hold their value and are well made but the sound tends to be a bit on the warm side and lack some resolution. With the Salon2s you should really hear the resolution they are capable of.

17. Artisan Fan

Great system. Been looking at the new Devialet speakers.

18. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Cool, will try that combo. I would consider Wilson at around that price if the Sophia 3 looked decent or if I had a dedicated listening room. In Cali, at my living budget - not gonna happen for a bit :p.

Thanks for the advice.

Let's catch up again before I move. Ex BCG and McK can still be friends :)

19. LeatherBoot

I would be interested in hearing them they look strange.

20. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

Devialet stuff looks super neat. I'd love one of those amps some day just for the presentation value.