• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sports do you play? (have you played?)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Another tennis player here. Played competitively on high school varsity team, played with guys in college (our school was #4 in US at that time) that turned pro.....still play occasionally but not as much as I'd like.

carlhuber

Reaction score
Beach Volleyball once a week....though I wish it was twice a week.
Great range of upper-body motion.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High school:
(American) football, wrestling, track (sprinting)

College:
Rugby, climbing (rock, ice, mountaineering), backpacking

Post College:
climbing, backpacking, fly fishing, car racing

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Another tennis player here. Played competitively on high school varsity team, played with guys in college (our school was #4 in US at that time) that turned pro.....still play occasionally but not as much as I'd like.

Tennis is a tough sport to play, in that if you don't play on a really consistent basis you lose alot of your sharpness, at least in my experience. I try to play 2-3 times a week but it doesn't always happen
frown.gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No golfers? Or is that a given?

High School: Baseball, tennis.

College: Rowing for a couple years (DIII).

Post-college: Golf, tennis (both occasionally and poorly).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider what I can do on the links golf...heh

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Tennis is a tough sport to play, in that if you don't play on a really consistent basis you lose alot of your sharpness, at least in my experience. I try to play 2-3 times a week but it doesn't always happen
frown.gif

yea, I find that my form doesnt degrade too bad, and my timing will surprisingly come back pretty quickly, but the conditioning (lack of) is where I really feel it. I would love to play 2-3x week, as it is I play 1/week at most, then go thru a period where I dont play for a month.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to play sports as a post-collegiate adult. I can usually make time to work out 3-4x a week, but trying to schedule those times with other people to play competitively post-work and pre-bedtime is really hard. So much easier to just go to the gym.

Anyone play squash? I messed around with it in college, been meaning to try it again.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yea, I find that my form doesnt degrade too bad, and my timing will surprisingly come back pretty quickly, but the conditioning (lack of) is where I really feel it. I would love to play 2-3x week, as it is I play 1/week at most, then go thru a period where I dont play for a month.
I find my timing, especially on balls with pace and trying to short hop really deep shots gets off if I play less than once a week, not to mention serves... It could be that my game has never developed the consistency necessary to play at a D-I level. I can hit shots as well as friends of mine that played at D-1 schools but just never developed the shot after shot consistency that they had. I suppose my game is more flashes of brilliance mixed in with stretches of outright mediocrity.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
It's difficult to play sports as a post-collegiate adult. I can usually make time to work out 3-4x a week, but trying to schedule those times with other people to play competitively post-work and pre-bedtime is really hard. So much easier to just go to the gym.

Anyone play squash? I messed around with it in college, been meaning to try it again.

Yeah, I swim and lift four times a week and have been trying to schedule tennis matches for the other times. It's been inordinately difficult to play here of late because of the ridiculous weather. Noone has indoor courts in California and when temperatures are well over 100, playing outside before 8:30 or so in the evening is not pleasant.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In high school I played Football, basketball, baseball, swimming competively. Golf and tennis socially

In college I played basketball competively for 2 years and my career ended with torn ACL and loss of cartilege. I also played intramural softball and golfed when I could.

After college I play basketball sparingly. If you think it's hard to get one other guy together to play tennis, try getting 9 other guys together to play full court basketball. I also golf and ski as often as I can, which means I golf 15-20 times a year and ski once if I am lucky. I used to do both much more often before the wife and child came along.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
In high school I played Football, basketball, baseball, swimming competively. Golf and tennis socially

In college I played basketball competively for 2 years and my career ended with torn ACL and loss of cartilege. I also played intramural softball and golfed when I could.

After college I play basketball sparingly. If you think it's hard to get one other guy together to play tennis, try getting 9 other guys together to play full court basketball. I also golf and ski as often as I can, which means I golf 15-20 times a year and ski once if I am lucky. I used to do both much more often before the wife and child came along.

Unless you go to outdoor courts in parks or schools/colleges or whatnot that have pickup games, I imagine it would be hard to find people for a game without a lot of coordination.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Unless you go to outdoor courts in parks or schools/colleges or whatnot that have pickup games, I imagine it would be hard to find people for a game without a lot of coordination.

Pick up games are almost always around, but you attract all different ability levels and levels of conditioning. (mine isn't all that great these days so the idea of getting into a game with guys who want to fast break the entire game isn't appealing to me like it used to be)

A group of us used to rent a gym one night a week and play and the e-mails that went back and forth to make sure who was coming was abundant. It worked for about a year and then we kept having too many guys cancel each week and eventually we just stopped even trying to do it anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics