1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What size are you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stone, Dec 15, 2002.

1. IsteRed

IsteRed Well-Known Member

56 suits,40 pants,10.5EEE shoes,17.5 shirts.

2. MXERPAC

MXERPAC Well-Known Member

Holy necrobump batman!

3. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

It looks like you've maintained your weight, but not your user name, in the intervening eight plus years.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

I hate you.

5. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Well-Known Member

Suit wise I am a 42R 36W, shirt I am 15.5 34, shoes I am a 10D.

6. BLU8

BLU8 Well-Known Member

Suits: 39R or 40R (sometimes 38)
    Dress Shirts: 15.5/33
    Pants: 34x32
    Casual Wear: Medium
    Shoes: 11D

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

36S, 29x29 (which usually means 30x30, which fits better in some cases than others), 14.5/32. Small in letter sized shirts, or really anything. Shoe size 7 US, sock size 10, Hat size 7.

You large guys think shopping is a pain? They make stores that cater to you folks. Even though there are just as many guys under 5'7" as there are over 6'3" (or something like that), you get stores and we get manufacturers that make smalls that fit like tents (I've measured some that would be Larges by sane sizing), and many don't even bother to make that size. It can be a challenge to find anything with a waist of 30- though for some reason, it's not as hard as finding smalls. But I've even seen places that don't bother stocking below a 34 (Macys, looking for shorts- I don't shop there much).

And don't get me started on shoes. That's actually one thing I've been very happy about since starting to wear nicer shoes- brands actually bother with my size. It's refreshing.

Belt hunting is the worst though. Nobody- and the 'helpful' associates suggest that I buy a size 32, where I can use the smallest notch, right? Except that that notch is around 31 (because even belts have to be farking vanity sized), I often need to go down to a 29, and I would want to be using the center hole anyway.

The biggest problem I had stylewise before coming into the fold was size. I wore medium as the path of least resistance, and looked like crap. I still get shirts as gifts in a size above my normal one because "it was the smallest one they had, and a 15 is close enough, right?" Those get returned, and I have to use the refund to buy from a different store...

Shopping in most of this country is tailored to the standard American fatass.

8. wannabe

wannabe Well-Known Member

Hehe. Your shoulders are just slightly wider than mine.

34s.
    28/29, 28/29.
    XS in letter-sized shirts.
    Shoe 7.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. Barnabus

Barnabus Well-Known Member

46long, 36/30 pant.,19.0 inch collar, 11 shoe

10. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Get belts that can be altered. Belts shouldn't be a problem.

The average American now has a 40 inch waist so

Italian 50 jacket 42 jeans.

11. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Brands do not wish to be associated with the over sized.

12. MarketTarget

MarketTarget Member

That depends on the brand I suppose. I'm 6'8" so I qualify to most people as 'oversized'.

When I was a poor college student I had to shop at mall grade big & tall stores and put up with attendant low quality and fit geared toward tall hefty guys rather than tall athletic guys. Now gainfully employed, I have yet to find a tailor who won't take my money to fit me.