1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What size are you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stone, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Okay - what sizes do you usually take in clothing?

For some reason, it surprises me that higher-fashion clothing manufacturers, like Dolce & Gabbana and Versace, make clothing in rather large sizes, like XXL. I dunno, I can't imagine who the audience for it would be, and it seems like it couldn't be profitable to produce clothing in that size.

40R, 32x32, S or M, 15.5/34

2. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

This is America, where people overeat the fat of the land. Besides, somebody has to make sharp duds for Shaquille O'Neal. 38R, 30/30, 15, S or (occasionally) M, 8.5D US. Oh, and my hat size is 7 1/8. [​IMG]

3. Timothy

Timothy Well-Known Member

Sheesh, thankfully they make these so called "larger" sizes for their shirts seem sized for children. I usually wear a medium in an american shirt size but need an XL in like D&G, or even XXL in Prada for it not to be second skin tight.

44, 33x32, 16, M to L, 9.5 EE/42, but it all depends on the maker and the cut for these numbers jump around all the time. Like I can wear a 42 in some suits, but need a 44 in others.

4. thc

thc Well-Known Member

I'm a small guy. 38S or 38R, S or M depending on the designer, 8 - 8 1/2 shoe size, 30"w, 14 1/2 or 15-31 shirt size.

5. Joe G

Joe G Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm often disappointed by designers not making clothing for taller men who work out with some degree of regularity. For example, Helmut Lang stops at 54, so I could never buy an HL overcoat to wear over a jacket. (I do, however, have a lovely pre-Prada HL peacoat.)

I wouldn't know about D&G or Versace. My collection from the former consists of a bathing suit, and from the latter a band-collar shirt and a tie.

My specs: suit 54 to 56 (US44-46); jeans 38x34, shirt 41 (US16-35); shoes UK9.5-10 (EU43-44, US10.5-11). In the S/M/L/XL scheme, I'm generally an "L" in American marques such as Banana, and an "XL" in European marques such as Zara or H&M.

6. BjornH

BjornH Well-Known Member

I'm a fairly compact and slim type, I use 39/15,5 in shirts with medium sleeves and go for S/M depending on designer.

Jackets and suits are a different matter. If I wear a standard, modern 48/38 people (other than salespeople.) tell me that the coat is to long and I feel like I'm trying on my fathers clothes. Therfore I only buy 24/38S jackets and they look great on me and stop right by my thumb's knuckle. If I wear a modern 48/38 (Boss, Sand) it extends full 10cm/4' below my knuckle and I look rather funny.

48 I can get away with in suits as ther's not much contrast between the jacket and the trousers.

Trouble is that 24/38S is not very common, most local stores stop at 25/40S because they only use the short numbers for overwheigt people that have to wear a bigger a number to fit their belly into the jacket. I am therefore left with shopping my jackets overseas and the ones that I like are, of course, always sold out in my number...

Ah - not to forget, shoes 43/10,5(?)

Bjorn

7. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

58L, 38/32 or 56 (sometimes even 58), 43/44, XXL (occasionally XL- a recent Paul & Shark XL flannel shirt purchased in Madison, WI of all places actually fit quite nicely), shoe 10.5/11 D/E, hat 7 5/8. PStoller- if you're into hats, have I got a place for you....[​IMG]

8. Will Moose

Will Moose Active Member

40R, M, 15 1/2 - 34, 32x32

9. Renwick

Renwick Well-Known Member

For the longest time I have been looking for hats that don't make me look bad. BTW, my size is 40-41(50it) R (although sometimes as small as 38(48it) can fit me), 34 x 30, 15.5 x 35 - all somewhat odd sizes because I have a long thin upperbody and muscular short legs.

10. Renwick

Renwick Well-Known Member

and my shoe size is 10.5 - 11. I've got big feet for a guy who's less than 6 feet tall.

11. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

Well, hey, don't keep it a secret. I don't have many hats. I have a couple of Boralinos and a Paciotti black suede baseball cap, and I think I have a couple of old berets tucked away somewhere. I had a great black cashmere snap-brim cap, but it wandered away in a taxi one night. [​IMG]

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

50 Eu or 40R US. Occasionally a 52 Eu. Shirts 41 (16"). Trousers between 32/32 and 33/32. Shoes 10.5 to 11 (US). I'm one of the lucky guys who the designers actually design for (although I should probably lose about an inch off my waist). Nearly everything fits me directly off the rack, regardless of the maker.

13. davei

davei Well-Known Member

I'm fairly standard, except for my head. 38R, S/M, 15.5/33, 31/31 (though I can usually get away with a 32/32 or 30/32 depending on maker), size 10E shoe, 24 3/4 hat size. Which means any "one size fits all" baseball cap does not fit me, luckily I hardly ever wear baseball caps so it's not a problem [​IMG] I find with above the waist designer wear, I'm usually a 48 or M, except with Dirk Schonberger stuff - I'm a M with shirts, but an L with jerseys, S with sweaters. I also bought a couple of tank tops that were XXL (any other size was way too tight around the neck.) So a XXL for most designers is not what say, Nike or Adidas would consider XXL. Below the waist it's a whole other story, hyper slim fitting pants (Dior Homme, YSL) are usually a nogo since I have 20" thighs [​IMG]

14. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

I am 6'3", 180 lbs. I wear a 41 or 42 long suit coat depending on the cut. My pants are 34 x 34 and my shirts are 16 - 34/35. My shoe size is 11 1/2. My casual shirts are XL or L (but I prefer XL). I was always very skinny in school, but in the last 5 years (since I hit 30), I've finally started to fill out. [​IMG]

15. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

46 or 48R in suit 17-35 dress shirt 36/30 trousers L/XL in shirts 11/11.5 shoes yes, shopping is a real pain in the ass sometimes. [​IMG]

16. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I have a similar build to several previous posters: 40R jacket, 32/32 pant, 15.5/34 shirt, and 10 shoe.

17. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I'm a 46 jacket (borderline regular or long, depending on the make), 34-34 pants, 16 1/2 collar and 36/37 sleeve, shoe size 11-12(again depending on the make). Â Yeah so it can be a pain trying to find stuff that fits just right.
    I've been inteseted in getting a nice gray fedora or snap brim lately but haven't had much luck. Â How about sharing your source with all of us?

18. hikki79

hikki79 New Member

I'm a small guy. 38S or 38R, S or M depending on the designer, 8 - 8 1/2 shoe size, 30"w, 14 1/2 or 15-31 shirt size

19. hikki79

hikki79 New Member

I'm a small guy. 38S or 38R, S or M depending on the designer, 8 - 8 1/2 shoe size, 30"w, 14 1/2 or 15-31 shirt size

20. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Wow! A thread from 2002 come back to life. This thread would be better as a poll.