1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What should a man have in his wallet?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jakeyt, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I use it at other places though too for discounts and/or points.

2. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Well-Known Member

The only thing I carry is a money clip that has to CC's, my id and usually around $20 cash.

3. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

What I have in my wallet right now :

Driver's License
    University ID
    AMEX
    VISA CC
    Debit Card
    A few 20s.

All fit into this little leather cardholder. I have a london tan one, I just don't feel like snapping a pic :

[​IMG]

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

You should definitely carry your insurance card. In case of emergency, the EMS will look at your card to find out that you have insurance and which hospital to take you. I have good insurance which means a good hospital. Don't want to wind up at some dump

5. jakeyt

jakeyt Well-Known Member

Is it a good idea to put multiple cards/things in one slot? I generally haven't done this...

6. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I avoid this because it can stretch out the slot, making it too loose to hold only 1 card in the future...which is why my wallet has a lot of slots.

Driver's License
    Insurance Card
    Debit Card
    Credit Card
    Concealed Carry License
    AAA
    A few other random cards for various stores/restaurants

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Try to keep as slim as possible

$20
    1 AMEX
    1 VISA
    1 Drivers License / ID
    1 Insurance Card
    1 Student ID

And I'll keep receipts if it's from something iffy (i.e. bars, or pizza delivery) or just randomly and clear out at the end of the day.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

It can stretch out the slot, but the only side effect of that I've encountered is that it's easier to get your card out when you want to. I've never had stuff fall out of my wallet apart from coins and occasionally my knife, but that's when I do something stupid like hold it upside down and try to open it. Generally, the curve the wallet takes on from being wrapped around your ass and the friction keeps everything in place.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

Coins in Japan are kind of a hassle, because it's also kind of common courtesy to try to pay in exact change or in an easily changeable amount - the 500 yen coins are worth like $6.50 now, and pretty heavy, the 10yen are the size of a nickel, the 1 yen is the size of a dime - I need a separate coin purse but that is kinda [​IMG]

10. jakeyt

jakeyt Well-Known Member

I have only 4 slots in mine.

The following I have or considering having:

Driver's License
    Insurance Card
    Muni/Subway Pass
    Cash
    Credit Card 1
    Credit Card 2
    Debit Card

Based on discussions here, I can perhaps exclude cash a second credit card and my insurance card. Possibly.

So must haves are: Driver's License, Credit Card 1. Possibly Debit Card. Although my Muni/Subway Pass could just go separate and with my company building ID (too big for a wallet).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  11. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Lol wallet . . .

Amex
    Debit
    DL
    Cash

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

:facepalm:

I have...

Debit card, DL, insurance card, building access card (which fucks up how slim it could be) sometimes CC but rarely, sandwich cards and Knights of Columbus membership card. Carry cash but really only for the cafe at work because CC and DC charges really suck up a lot of money from small businesses and I only get breakfast.

13. jakeyt

jakeyt Well-Known Member

I was thinking 2 CCs, a Driver's License and maybe a debit card.

Damn wish this thing had 6 slots. Perfect size though. Are there reasons for keeping your insurance card with you?

14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Mine has gotten out of hand.

Standard plastic cards:
    -Work Keycard
    -Drivers license
    -Student ID (I'll milk those discounts as long as I can)
    -3 bank cards (I am going through some bank transitions...will be rid of 1 or 2 by year end)
    -Amex
    -Visa (though I suppose I could just use check card when amex isn't accepted but this is also my oldest/highest limit card so I keep it for the credit score).
    -Bus/Train card

Then I have some thin paper/laminated cards that don't really count for much--all of them together probably equal one normal CC.
    -Art Institute membership (I could just give them my name...but I often stop in at lunch for like 20-30 minutes and there is often only one person working the members desk so has the potential to screw over my visit if I have to wait)
    -Insurance card
    -paper with my eyeglasses prescription (not sure why I have this...not something I use frequently and I could just store my prescription on my phone or something)
    -USA Cycling membership (although now they have an android app that they will accept at races as proof of membership)

Only receipts I keep are things like bars with fill in the blank tip slots so I have a record if some large charge goes through (and I think you are less likely to get scammed if you take the customer copy since they figure you might have written down your tip size). Things that might get returned, I usually keep the receipt with the item since thermal printed stuff fades in my ass-heat pretty quick and it might not be legible 30 days later when I want to return it.

luckily I have zero cash in it right now so even with all of that crap it is maybe 3/4 of an inch at the widest

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  15. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I love people's excuses for carrying unecessary cards.

16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

yeah :(

I refuse to carry any silly loyalty cards though!

17. jakeyt

jakeyt Well-Known Member

I just have to put my phone number - so I don't need to carry any either.

18. jakeyt

jakeyt Well-Known Member

Just curious, always need a debit card with you? No backup CC? What about insurance card or doesn't matter?

19. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Debit card doubles as ATM and backup credit card. Insurance card for what?

20. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

I have two wallets- one is a card holder which has my work ID in it. That's all. I keep it in my back pocket and use it to swipe doors. My other wallet has 4 bank/credit cards, my HK ID, my USA ID, my subway card, and my gym card. In the internal card slots I have my SS card, insurance card, and a bunch of business cards when I need to give them out.