1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What should a high/secondary school teacher wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cxbxw, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

All my teachers wore suits.

2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Well-Known Member

all my teachers were women.

3. Nikias

Nikias Active Member

I would also recommend wearing a tie and thought I said as much above, so apologies if I implied otherwise. I do seem to recall some of my teachers going open-collar at times, however, and my girlfriend working at an FE college in Croydon does say that many of the male staff there forgo a tie. So it seems that perhaps standards are slipping, unfortunately.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I never had a teacher in a suit in the UK, in either state or private schools. SC and tie, sure, but suits, no. Every school has different standards, so there's really no point in asking people here. Ask the school what their minimum expectations are and decide how much you want to exceed them. Ultimately, the important thing is to be a good teacher and that's what I would concentrate on. If you are, then you can probably get away with a lot; if you aren't, making yourself stand out sartorially will just make your pedagogical failings more obvious.

5. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

We all think that the education we received is definitive. But all teachers wearing suits is rare; I would associate it much more with private schools. Many headmasters/principals in the public sector wear suits, but few classroom teachers do.
    No apology necessary! You did indeed recommend wearing a tie; I compliment you on that (and I quoted you as saying so). Colleges of all kinds (including some 6th-form colleges) are more informal than secondary schools, but I do think that going open-collar shows a slipping of standards.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012