1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What music are you listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Weakerthans!

I didn't think anyone outside of the indie rock/punk scene in Canada had heard of The Weakerthans.

At any rate, been listening to The Killer's Sawdust lately. Good stuff.

2. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Damn, anyone else really miss Oink.me.uk?
    Don't get me started [​IMG]

3. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

I didn't think anyone outside of the indie rock/punk scene in Canada had heard of The Weakerthans.

At any rate, been listening to The Killer's Sawdust lately. Good stuff.

You may be right...I used to be part of that scene.

But their new CD is amazingly great and they are playing a bunch of gigs in the US and UK these days. Anyone into catchy but intelligent folky-punk (I hate labels like that but...can't think of anything better at the moment) should check them out.

4. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Well-Known Member

JayZ's new album: American Gangster

good stuff

Haven't heard the whole thing, but what I have was pretty solid.

For some reason I've actually started listening to The Blueprint again recently. He really was at the top of the game by just about any standard against which you might measure a rapper.

[​IMG]

5. GoSurface

GoSurface Well-Known Member

^^^Absolutely love that album. She was amazing on SNL last week, I'm sure there are several examples on YouTube by now.

I'm obsessed with it. I missed SNL. NBC is pretty good at removing clips on youtube though.

6. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

I'm obsessed with it. I missed SNL. NBC is pretty good at removing clips on youtube though.

Here's a clip of her doing a killer version of Secret Heart (from Let It Die) on Carson Daly that was so awesome I actually went out of my way to pull it off my Tivo and post: . There's something decidedly awesome about a chick in heels and a cocktail dress with a Guild archtop.

And here's the SNL clips: 1234 and I Feel it All.

7. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

Minus the Bear is always in my rotation, and I recently added Jenny Lewis witht the Watson Twins. Rilo Kiley has been on constant rotation since late September.

8. xchen

xchen Well-Known Member

And those Feist videos from SNL are amazing. Makes me wish I grabbed some more of her stuff before Oink went down. My girlfriend has Let it Die and her new one as well, so I'll just get them from her.

9. GoSurface

Here's a clip of her doing a killer version of Secret Heart (from Let It Die) on Carson Daly that was so awesome I actually went out of my way to pull it off my Tivo and post: . There's something decidedly awesome about a chick in heels and a cocktail dress with a Guild archtop.

And here's the SNL clips: 1234 and I Feel it All.

Hey thanks. Those clips are fantastic. I think she sounds even better live. I don't really get all the Norah Jones comparisons though, Feist is 10x more interesting.

10. Brian278

Hey thanks. Those clips are fantastic. I think she sounds even better live. I don't really get all the Norah Jones comparisons though, Feist is 10x more interesting.
    + a million

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

+1

12. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Adding on to the Feist-fest, if you get a chance try to track down here work with Kings of Convenience. I had no idea who she was until I heard their album and man...she ruined me for life.

13. UMass

UMass Well-Known Member

Cansei De Ser Sexy-Fav. song is Alcohol.

14. GoSurface

Adding on to the Feist-fest, if you get a chance try to track down here work with Kings of Convenience. I had no idea who she was until I heard their album and man...she ruined me for life.

I heard she did some work/was a part of Broken Social Scene too. Thanks, I was already going to try and *find* (harmless w/c) some of her earlier stuff anyway. Now I have a starting point.

15. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I heard she did some work/was a part of Broken Social Scene too. Thanks, I was already going to try and *find* (harmless w/c) some of her earlier stuff anyway. Now I have a starting point.
    Check out "Lover's Spit (redux)" on BSS. For KoC, you need the album "Riot on an Empty Street." Or some live tracks such as... http://www.kingsofconvenience.org/kocgigs.html

16. GoSurface

Check out "Lover's Spit (redux)" on BSS.

For KoC, you need the album "Riot on an Empty Street." Or some live tracks such as...
    http://www.kingsofconvenience.org/kocgigs.html

I'm actually looking up the Redux right now, but I can't seem to find it.

BTW, the KoC guys are really good. I downloaded some of the live performances last night and got a chance to listen to them today. Thanks, I love new (to me) music.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Here's a clip of her doing a killer version of Secret Heart (from Let It Die) on Carson Daly that was so awesome I actually went out of my way to pull it off my Tivo and post: . There's something decidedly awesome about a chick in heels and a cocktail dress with a Guild archtop. And here's the SNL clips: 1234 and I Feel it All.
    I do like that. I hadn't realize she was part of Broken Social Scene which is a group I like.

18. GoSurface

NM. I found it on youtube, which I can download from.

19. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Got me some old rekkids today:

ZZ Top Afterburner (sealed), great fun!

Everest recording of Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring Ballet. Gorgeous music.

20. Brian278

Going over this after only listening to it once or twice a while back:

[​IMG]

And revisiting some favorites:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]