1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What music are you listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Well-Known Member

He used to be in The Longpigs, was also in late period Pulp for a while. This is my favourite, off his first record. Just beautiful. [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Played this a few time this morning. Initial impressions are that it is better than Winter of Mixed Drinks but not as good as Midnight Organ Fight (but not much is, to be fair). Did you get the EP that came out before Christmas? I thought all 5 tracks on that were fantastic.

2. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Daughn Gibson - All Hell

I've always wondered how it would sound if Johnny Cash fronted Depeche Mode. Totally horrible, btw. Kunk, you would LOVE this shit.

3. marvin100

marvin100 Well-Known Member

Really enjoying, again, after a few years of neglect, the John Tilbury All Piano set of Morton Feldman pieces.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Mahavishnu Orchestra The Lost Trident Sessions

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

The EP grew on me, and the darkness in this record has me ranking above MOF, but I love all their stuff.

7. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

8. oxfordamerican

oxfordamerican Well-Known Member

9. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

A Tribe Called Red.- Electric Pow Wow An electronic-music group who uses a lot of First Nations traditional music. It's different, but very enjoyable.

11. marvin100

Ethiopiques, Vol III

12. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

13. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

14. marvin100

15. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Well-Known Member

Went to the NME tour last night. Missed Peace, didn't think much of Palma Violets or Miles Kane but Django Django on the other hand were amazing. Even better than I thought they might be. They finished with this. Still dancing this morning. [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

16. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

Friday night listened to/watched Foreigner: Live at Soundstage (Chicago)- concert DVD... I never was a fan, but some of the younger guys I work with suggested I might like them. I recognized and enjoyed several of their hits.

I really enjoyed Kelly Hansen's singing. Great voice, IMHO... This DVD has great video and sound (DTS).

Cheers,

17. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

Been too long since I've posted here:

• Plastic Noise Experience - Noised

I picked this up in FYE because it was cheap and it looked interesting, although I suspected- correctly- that the music contained within might not be particularly noisy. The copyright is 2002, but it sounded like a pastiche of industrial music from fifteen years earlier— the boring, Nitzer Ebb-style industrial, not the actual good industrial music of the era. This isn't terrible, but I didn't care to go more than a few songs in.

-----
    • Anton Webern - Variations for Orchestra Op.30, Cantata #2 Op. 31

My appreciation of Webern's twelve-tone serialist works is hardly unreserved. Compared with the jagged expressionism of earlier pieces like the Six Bagatelles (in my mind, a high-water mark for whatever-the-hell-it-is,) Webern shed much of his enigmaticism, and in pieces like the Quartet Op 22 and Concerto Op. 24 we get music that's decidedly classicist in form and feel— stately, architectonic, and a little dry. In fact, it wasn't until I read Robert Craft's book of interviews with Stravinsky that I realized this period of Webern's output was contemporaneous with Stravinksky's own neo-Classical experimentation. The Variations seem to align with this sense of classicism, although it's a sterling example nonetheless. The guy clearly had a knack for orchestration, and- in comparing the Variations to his early Passacagalia- I can't help but feel it's a shame that his developed musical idiolect never quite allowed him the opportunity to again produce such lush orchestrations of his own works. It's a shame as well that Webern met such a premature end, particularly because- in his next and final opus-numbered piece, his second cantata- he seems to have been discovering- or re-discovering- a sort of florid romanticism. Even more remarkably, the concluding choral canon seems like a dodecaphonic answer to the "Dona nobis pacem" from Bach's Mass in B Minor. All said, it's probably my favorite of all Webern's compositions.

-----
    • R.E.M. - Collapse into now

I think it will be a while before this album gets its full due. In some ways it hearkens back to Out Of Time- an album that always seems under-appreciated even as its their best-selling- but it is a fully-formed musical statement of its own. Contrary to what some people say, it is not R.E.M.-trying-to-sound-like-R.E.M., not that R.E.M. ever tried to stake out a particularly broad musical compass. In fact, there are moments in songs like It Happened Today and Walk It Back where you just have to sit back and let the gorgeousness of the sound wash over you— an aural luxuriousness for which I have trouble thinking of any precedents in their catalog. The album is certainly not without its faults; Stipe's lyrics can be too on-the-nose at times, and the man who once sang both "Gardening at Night" and "Can't Get There From Here" has had his vocal range seemingly reduced to a gravelly mid-range minor-third. The album also suffers from poor sequencing; the horrid "Marlon Brando" should have been excised completely, and if it were possible at the time to replace it with "Part Garbage"'s "Hallellujah" as the penultimate track, it would have truly been an éclat of album sequencing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Cat Power.

1 person likes this.
  19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

One of those artists I keep wxpecting like, but whose music never does it for me when I listen to it.

1 person likes this.
  20. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I did a lot of driving the last two days and I heard this on the radio a few times. I used to love this song when I was younger. Still do.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]