1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

It got WORSE! haha

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Inherent vice was dissapointing. Was looking forward to the cast but this script fell flat. Has it's moments

1 person likes this.
  3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Are you delusional? Are you 12 years old?

2 people like this.
  4. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

So I finished watching it the other day. It was good, I enjoyed it, although I can't say I appreciate it as much as you do. I didn't really understand the ending where Deckard felt alert in his apartment, and how that was the hint as to him possibly being a replecant. What I really did like was the rainy dark futuristic city, bustling with business like typical Asian night markets all over Hong Kong and other parts of Asia.

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just watched Citizen Kane. I just don't understand it. Why was it in black and white? Was that to satisfy the director's ego? And what's with the sleigh? That's a generic trope that's been used hundreds of times. Really don't get the love for this movie.

6. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

You had to be there.

lefty

7. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

There are a few ambiguous hints during the movie that he may be a replicant, like that one scene where his eyes has the same reflection as Roy's, Rachel's and the artificial owl's, but the damning evidence in the '92 Director's Cut and in the '07 Final Cut, is the unicorn dream sequence (when Gaff leaves a unicorn origami at the end, he shows that he knows about Deckard's dreams, thus they must be implanted like Rachel's). As mentioned, I dislike removing the ambiguity (the book doesn't) and think the story is more interesting if Deckard is human.

+1. The dystopian, multicultural design of Blade Runner was groundbreaking in '82, creating a new style and inspiring countless followers.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  8. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

And still fresh today. Thank you, Syd Mead.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  9. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Well-Known Member

Hey man, Paul Thomas Anderson knows better. So the question you should be asking is 'why did he tell the story in such an unconventional way.'

10. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Gosling is supposed to play his son in the sequel...so does that end that argument ?

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

That sounds odd, as Ridley Scott insists that Deckard isn't human. Source?

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Clearly not. I mean, a basic premise of the movie is that the most advanced replicants are really hard to distinguish from biological humans, and that even self-awareness can't be trusted. On a more abstract level, the book and movie both play thematically with the concepts of ontological and epistemological "reality". Presenting a character as Deckard's "son" just introduces another ambiguous element to play around with.

2 people like this.
  13. OmniscientCause

I think it's just speculation at this point and I'd have to digg for where I found it on imdb. Can't remember if it was tied to an actual link somewhere or a written script.

14. JFST

JFST Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  15. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

In the book Deckard wasn't a replicant:

"The purpose of this story as I saw it was that in his job of hunting and killing these replicants, Deckard becomes progressively dehumanized. At the same time, the replicants are being perceived as becoming more human. Finally, Deckard must question what he is doing, and really what is the essential difference between him and them? And, to take it one step further, who is he if there is no real difference?" - Philip K. Dick

One of the initial screen writers (Hampton Fancher) wanted it to be ambiguous in the movie, and in the original theatrical release it was. Ford wanted him to be human too, to "give the audience someone human to identify with".

But Scott didn't see it that way, and in The Final Cut there isn't really any argument. Ridley includes scenes that specifically exists to prove that Deckard is a replicant and he confirms that he is in interviews. To go back on that now seems strange (though I, as mentioned, disagree with him).

Also, having Gosling tied to this doesn't really alleviate any fears, son or not.

16. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

Now I feel like I need to watch the Final Cut as all of this went over my head back when I watched (some other version of) it.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Fair point. It's been a long time - thanks for the correction.
    It probably would have been more accurate for me to say that both the book and the movie play with the idea of what "real" means and what it means to be "human", as that quote illustrates. The movie (at least as released) worked that ambiguity more literally, while the book did so at a more abstract level.

18. OmniscientCause

I think it's ridiculous Scott changed his mind in the directors cut to emphaisizs him as a replicant. Like did he just wake up one day and say I want to fuck with people?

19. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I don't think he really changed his mind. When they shot it, it was the biggest area of contention between him and Ford, so he pretty much always felt that way. It's more that, as he got increasing control over future incarnations, he was able to solidify his vision at the cost of (the more interesting) ambiguity.

20. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.