1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

ordered a bunch of chicken and meatball parm hero's, watching Sharknado double feature with my kid and a bunch of his friends :slayer:

3 people like this.
  2. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i cant say i would put 1 season mini series shows into the same category as multi season shows. hard to compare the two.

that being said, i surely agree about the wire, sherlock i hold reservation until the series is over, but its awesome. GoT is a super fun show, with huge entertainment value, but id never rank it an all time great show with the likes of BB, sopranos, wire, MM, and so on.

yeah, i want to go back in time and experience it again. watching all of it in 2 days was awesome, but also now i am sad its over.

1 person likes this.
  5. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Robert Hayes as the pilot, referencing Airplane scenes, could be the best opening of any movie in the history of the world.

1 person likes this.
  6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

If season 2 of True Detective even comes close to the first, then I'd put True D in my top 5 EASILY.

7. in stitches

i really need to get on that.

will they have the same actors? i heard that each season was to have different leads. is that true?

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

2x high octane over the last couple of days:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

And just came back from this:

[​IMG]

I realise the poster is large and it's not an official one either. Posting it, as I miss this kind of hand painted poster art (obviously Drew Struzan inspired), as opposed to the generic, cheap and fast photo collages that seem to have taken over. Credit for this one goes to Blake Armstrong.

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

This is true. Different leads, different location, different cases. Season 1 starts slow, but boy does it pick up. I loved pretty much every second of it.

I am totally digging the Struzan inspired poster for GotG. Thanks for that Kap. The Raid: Redemption is bonkers

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

You're very welcome.

By 'bonkers', do you mean over the top, insane fight choreography, impressively athletic stunts and ambitious camera work?

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

I hope that the quality still keeps up, those are some serious leads to replace.

I had never heard of this, will need to queue it up after i finish my WWII kick. After The Pacific is done i think i will watch Patton.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

thats a great poster. how was the film?

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I was planning to skip this one, as I don't think that most of these comic book adaptations make for particularly good movies - with a few noticeable exceptions - but the great reviews drew me in. I think it was entertaining enough, but I had expected more from those reviews.

It actually made me think about if it's just me getting too old for this sort of thing, or if the movies of this type were better when I was a kid. I mean, I happily rewatch old Star Wars and Indy movies and think the mood, the actors, the story, etc still holds up, and when I watch most of these new ones, I usually think the story's a mess, the characters not that interesting and the whole thing looks like an excuse for more and more CGI. But I wonder if my love for those old ones came from seeing them first as a kid and if this new crop of adventure films, many which happen to be super hero movies, are going to be viewed as the new classics by the audience watching them now as teens, and who might well fall asleep if you showed them A New Hope...

Its definitely not like they aren't throwing everything they can at these new films - top directors and actors, huge budgets - but somehow they rarely work as movies for me. So yeah, I'm probably just getting too old for this.

Apologies for rambling, in the end, if you like this kind of thing, this will be the kind of thing you like :)

3 people like this.
  15. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

if we're not allowed miniseries then for sure if you can forget the season finale

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

oh, i mean, you are allowed to group at will. i was just saying for me its hard to compare one to the other as far as grouping them in one top 5/10 list.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

started re-watching star wars in episode order. got about 15 minutes into ep one before turning on ep 2

2 people like this.
  18. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

There's an order (not sure why it's called Machete order) of watching Star Wars that skips Episode I with the order of IV, V, II, III, XI.

Heard good things about this method.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I have been meaning to try that the next time I find someone who hasn't seen them.

Preserves the Vader reveal (although that probably only matters for kids...adults have probably all heard the line) but still provides the back story to the empire.

Ep 1 basically exists in a bubble... The bad guys all die...the good guys die or have their actors replaced..and the plot is unrelated. If you still really feel the need to watch it at the end...there is a re edited version that is tolerable.

20. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

A few years ago I watched a set of "fan edits" of the prequel Star Wars movies. They rearranged and (heavily) cut down the movies to make them almost tolerable. Entire plot points and characters were removed, motivations changed, etc. It was surprisingly effective.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.