1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Seeing Lefty's list made me think of a couple of recommendations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Danish version for nostalgic reasons, sorry about the size.

The latter I haven't rewatched since I was a kid, but I have fond memories of it. No idea how it holds up today.

1 person likes this.
  2. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Actually I would say they simply don't care. Whatever text they're receiving or updates to their newsfeed trumps the movie they spent $$ to see or other people's enjoyment. It's not even to be mean, it just doesn't register. Same as in office meetings, dinner/lunch, walking down the street etc.

3. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Being only a few years older than the generation you are describing/maybe fit it...its not just boredom. I dont like the feeling of not being able to answer someone as soon as i receive a text just as i expect when I am talking with someone they respond promptly...so part of it is not wanting to let a friend/significant other have to wait for something. That could be just me though. I dont play games on my phone I read and surf the net, neither of which I would be tempted to do in the movies.

I do not text during the movies but it sure is usually the first thing i do when I get out.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

This. I'll grant left the point that the guy stretching his arms may just not realizing that it's distracting to others. For folks who are talking or using their phones, they are aware on some level. Nobody -- at least no adult -- doesn't know that talking during a movie is distracting to other patrons. They just don't care. The same with people on the street. Yes, most of them are not deliberately setting out to inconvenience or annoy others. But they're too selfish and entitled to consider how their actions affect those around them -- me me, that's the essence of rudeness. It's not conscious malevolence, but it's a conscious choice to value immediate personal convenience and gratification at the expense of consideration and sociability.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Without a doubt there's selfishness and entitlement going on, but I honestly believe that the couple beside me who commented on everything on the screen, including his reading of the subtitles aloud (pretty sure she wasn't illiterate), had no idea that this isn't acceptable behavior in a public theatre. This is the world we now live in.

Stitch, based on Kaplan's suggestions you could do a swashbuckling night with the little stitch. Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Treasure Island, that kind of thing.

And New Moon just for this.

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

im not sure the stitch wife would allow 3 movies in a row at night for the little guy. maybe a saturday night, sunday, sunday night event.

7. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Do a "Bad Bruce Willis, Good Bruce Willis" theme. Watch Hudson Hawk, then Die Hard, then The Last Boy Scout, then Pulp Fiction, then The Siege, then Armageddon etc. Or do a "Bad Kevin Costner" theme and watch any movie he's ever made.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, are you saying Last Boy Scout is bad and Armageddon is good?

9. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Dude...

[​IMG]

lefty

1 person likes this.
  10. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

And Silverado, The Untouchables, No Way Out, Dances with Wolves, A Perfect World, Thirteen Days and The Postman. Ok, just kidding about that last one.

11. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Kaplan dude ...

[​IMG]

lefty

12. in stitches

lawlz. brilliant idea.

lets not forget the all time classic, waterworld. i actually enjoyed that. why? because i was about 13 when i saw it and it had a ladies naked tushy in it. :bounce2:

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but we don't really understand baseball on this side of the pond :embar:

Dane Cook aside, I also liked Mr. Brooks. And maybe JFK, though I don't really remember it.

14. in stitches

i have JFK on VHS. no way to watch it tho.

15. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Yeah, John Candy.

[​IMG]

lefty

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I love John Candy, but that clip proves Ed's point. It's a painfully bad scene.

Speaking of which, Stitchy should put Uncle Buck on the list.

18. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

KC is a little earnest in that movie, but I think a lot of that was Stone pushing him in that direction. Can't say he's a great actor, but will say that he's a very competent actor who played the lead in a number of my favourite movies.

Yes to Uncle Buck in a double feature with Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Think an eight year old can handle them.

lefty

19. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

I still watch uncle buck and vouch for the Sandlot even though I may have been a bit older when that one came out. I have a standing list of cheesy childhood nostalgia that I regularly partake in, including

Dirty rotten scoundrels
    The great outdoors
    Funny farm
    Doc Hollywood
    The vacation trilogy
    What about bob?
    Meatballs
    The golden child
    Coming to America
    The burbs
    Disorderlies
    Planes trains and automobiles

To name a few. I loved these movies as a kid and can still watch them any time, any day of the week.

1 person likes this.
  20. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

Need to add The Princess Bride

1 person likes this.