1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

Speaking of GFIII, Eli Wallach finally ate the cannoli for real.

Sad, but he had a 98 year run......

Cheers....

1 person likes this.
  2. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

Listen to Harv... er Harold Falcon. Don't watch the third one. Seriously, don't even bother.

I think the second one was even better than the first, but both are outstanding.

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i didnt even hate the 3rd one so much.

4. wizzeak

wizzeak Well-Known Member

yeah I think the second is better as well but I still enjoy watching the first more

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Just saw World War Z. I thought it was a very good, entertaining movie. The trailers I saw before it's release looked awful. Not sure why the filmmakers bothered with the comical zombie animation but otherwise 7/10.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Just rewatched it on Amazon, it's not as bad as I remembered it being. I guess I was just let down from how epic the book was. There's an amazing HBO miniseries that could be made from that source material.

2 people like this.
  7. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Well-Known Member

Yeah, the movie really wasn't that bad, but its relationship to the book was tenuous at best. A miniseries could do a much more faithful interpretation and be great. As a plus, it would be pretty cheap to make, too. They certainly wouldn't need all those crappy parkour zombie hordes.

1 person likes this.
  8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I need to watch the Godfather films again. I can barely remember what happens (and half of that is probably misplaced memories from other mafia films)...and I am not even sure I ever saw the third one.

9. R300

R300 Well-Known Member

Third one was with Andy Garcia in. It's every so slightly confusing with part of the second being before the first film, and then the rest carries on, iirc?

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

It also had Sofia Coppola (well, they all had; but in a major role), before she realised she was better on the other side of the camera.

11. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

Third one is saved by Al Pacino`s (non) scream right at the end.

12. Harold falcon

Nothing saves the third one. It's just honestly bad.

1 person likes this.
  13. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I liked part3 the least, but I still enjoyed it a lot

1 person likes this.
  14. why

why Well-Known Member

Only saw the first, was mildly entertained but also annoyed. It has some big faults. The whole Italy part is horrible and pointless. The rest is pretty meh. The script is serviceable and the acting has bright and dull spots.

Coppola has always been very, very overrated. His version of Dracula is so, so bad.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  15. Harold falcon

You disliked the Godfather? You really do have shit taste.

9 people like this.
  16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

^^ Overrated?

The Godfather
    The Godfather Part 2
    The Conversation
    Apocalypse Now

Never stop being you, kid.

lefty

3 people like this.
  17. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

:teach:

18. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Part 1 isn't overrated it's good but I think I like 2 better.

Once upon a time in America is better than both individually but not both as a whole...if that makes any sense.

19. why

why Well-Known Member

Zzzzz....The Godfather is one of those movies that just Has To Be The Best. It's not. Not even close. There are many problems with it, most of which can be summed up as as either a reliance on cheap stereotypes or flailing and failing at themes -- the plot is dragged along because, duh, they're mobsters and Italians, and whatever message is trying to be said is half-baked and often incoherent. Michael's trip to Italy is the perfect example of both of these (as well as containing the movie's worst acting -- his proposal for Appollonia is pure cheese and ham), but they're all throughout the movie. It's all for nothing, anyway, both thematically and narratively. Why does he marry Appollonia? Why the reliance on some (really nonexistent) old-world culture to get the plot dragged along? Why does her father just say 'sure, you just told me you're a wanted criminal but that's all hunky dory around here, please take my daughter'? Duh. Because they're Sicilians and it allows Appollonia to get blown up so that Michael can go through some kind of character change. And he does, just like he went through the same change when he was put through the insta-print to get him there in the first place (except now, HE MEANS BUSINESS!). Then it tries to show a clash between old world and new world, a trope that occasionally comes up in all forms of the screenplay but is as silly and unrealized as the other attempts, just left dangling there when the plot needs to go in a different direction (which is common among mediocre movies of this type).

But that's fine, because it's just The Best and anyone who disagrees and gives reasons is just some idiot who doesn't understand it or something. Zzzzz.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  20. R300

R300 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the Italy part is pointless. He kills somebody. He flees to Sicily. Pretty straight forward. But I kinda do see faults in it. Anyone remember the scene where Sonny beats up Carlo? He misses punching him by like a metre, and when a fistfight isn't realistic looking, it makes me cringe.

Then again, it was made in 72, so I have to say, it's of it's time.