1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Lost in Translation, was excellent. And is there a more boanable person in the world than Scarlett Johansson in that movie?

2. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Well-Known Member

It is an excellent film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

I watched a couple good, but not great (7/10) movies recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition, I was very surprised to read that Goldfinger is considered to be better than both Dr. No and From Russia with Love. I personally thought the films got worse, not better, from Dr. No to Goldfinger.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. seeldoger47

5. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

:inlove:
    Your pics are not showing up (at least for me - are you allowing the images to be imported?). As for Bond, it seems a widely held opinion that the movies (and the Bond 'formula') first really came into their own with Goldfinger (with the gadget ladden DB5, etc), but I too prefer the first two. For a first in a series, it's actually pretty amazing how spot on Connery is as Bond in Dr. No, and to me everything up to Crab Key island is pretty much perfect. And From Russia with Love is just perfect all the way through. Recently saw these: [​IMG] and [​IMG]. Both great, though the first one was more up my alley (great mood, pace, etc) and I expect to rewatch it soon.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. seeldoger47

7. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Very entertaining and worthy of its reputation. I'm surprised that it wasn't mentioned more as a spiritual forebear to Inglourious Basterds, as there are a lot of similarities in the plots and the themes.

[​IMG]

A very strange film, and very unlike any Fassbinder film that I've seen before. It has more in common with Jean-Pierre Melville or early Godard than the films that Fassbinder is known for. That's not to say that it's as good as Breathless or Le Samourai, because it isn't. And it's darker and less playful as well. Worth watching, though, especially as it's just over an hour.

8. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Well-Known Member

To Catch a Thief is pretty lightweight compared with other Hitchcock films of the time, but I love the cinematography and location. It makes you feel like Cannes was the best place on earth in the 50's. Plus you have Grant, and the fact that I could sit through 90 minutes of footage of Grace Kelly just staring at the camera...she was unbelievably beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  9. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

I just watched Some Like it Hot. It's a fantastic movie. You all must watch it.

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Have seen it, but it must've been at least 25 years ago.

11. seeldoger47

12. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

is it safe?

13. munchausen

Aguirre the Wrath of God is top ten all time for me.

Other than than, Nosferatu, Fitzcarraldo, Wozyeck, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. Heart of Glass is really fucking weird but I like that sort of thing so I liked it. Really I like most of his movies, including Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans which was sort of terrible but also sort of incredible.

1 person likes this.
  14. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Saw "Ain't Them Bodies Saints?" Saturday night. Although it was critically acclaimed, my wife and I thought it no better than fair. It was confusing. Both of us found a lot of the dialogue hard to understand--mush-mouthed delivery and the pseudo-Texan accents were the cause. And I lived in Texas for five years! We found none of the characters particularly engaging. I have seen quite a few worse movies in my time, but I have also seen a great many I deemed better.

15. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

own it, never watched it. :embar:
    loved that. need to re-watch. that, along with arlington road, and shawshank, make me mad that he wasnt in more star roles over the years. at least that i know of.
    need to see that.
    liked that a lot.

16. seeldoger47

What did you enjoy about the Hudsucker Proxy so much? I thought it was just alright. Marathon Man felt like a marathon at times. I enjoyed Jackie Brown, which is surprising as I don't really care much for Tarantino.

17. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

you know, for kids?

18. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about Jackie Brown. I think it's because he was adapting someone else's work. There's very little of the QT bullshit stylization.

19. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

honestly, i dont even remember. i saw it as a kid and have not seen it since, but i sure liked it when i saw it. maybe its best to reserve my judgement until i re-watch it as an adult.

as i said, never saw MM, but i feel like i should. along with a bunch of older dustin hoffman movies.

i enjoyed pretty much all of QTs stuff. no surprise there.

20. munchausen

I like every Tarantino movie but Jackie Brown is really special because it's the one that seems like its about real people.

over the past few days

[​IMG]

Great film. I love these eerie old movies, and this one is weirder and eerier than most.

[​IMG]

Not my first viewing, but I'm intending to watch the other Doinel films so I figured I would re watch this to remind myself. I will always love this movie, even if it's not my favorite Truffaut. Leaud's performance in this film is really incredible for an actor his age.

[​IMG]

Bardot looks incredible, but this movie seems a bit dated today. I had trouble sitting through it tbh.