• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really hope the hobbit comes out in 2D. I'd prefer to wait for vid to see it if it doesnt.

It will.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Variety:[/FONT]
Warner Bros. is convinced that high-frame-rate movies are the next big thing -- but they're keeping the first HFR release fairly small.

According to source familiar with Warner's release plans for Peter Jackson's first "Hobbit," the HFR version will go out to only select locations, perhaps not even into all major cities.
People who have seen much of the film in 48 frames-per-second 3D tell Variety the picture now looks vastly better than the test footage shown this April at CinemaCon, which had not yet undergone post-production polishing and got a mixed reception from exhibitors.
But the studio still wants to protect the format by going into a limited release for the HFR version, hoping to test the marketplace and expand the HFR release for the second and third installments -- provided auds are enthusiastic. As of now, there are still no theaters ready for HFR projection, though some require only a software upgrade that will be ready in September. Warners is satisfied with the pace of efforts to ready theaters for HFR.

To be fair, that's actually a problem with the framerates used in traditional movies. We are trained to think wide horizontal pans should stutter slightly and that action should look the way it does on film. Using a higher framerate is a good thing--it works better with our eyes and makes things look smoother and closer to they actually are. Unfortunately, we have also been trained to associate that effect with video cameras and soap operas.
Until we get used to it, it is going to look off, but unlike 3D, I think this trend is definitely for the better.

To be honest, I never had an issue with strobing - or am so used to it that I don't care. I truly hate watching a great old movie on Blue Ray and a 1080p LED which makes the whole thing look like it was shot by the BBC in 1974. There's a lot of dead DPs rolling in their graves.

lefty

Last edited:

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate 3D. I didn't realize the Hobbit was going to be 3D. Will have to wait for the dvd release.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To be honest I never had an issue with strobing - or am so used to it that I don't care. I truly hate watching a great old movie on Blue Ray and a 1080p LED which makes the whole thing look like it was shot by the BBC in 1974. There's a lot of dead DPs rolling in their graves.

lefty

I don't either (or at least very rarely notice it) but you can definitely tell when its not there and it feels wrong.

Totally agree on the bluray player plus fancy TV combo. If you don't go into the settings of both and disable whatever they call that feature (motion correction? trumotion? depends on the brand), it will try to take your 24fps film and correct it to something faster and that looks AWFUL.

I turn that **** off on my friends' TVs when they aren't looking.

edit: in this person's story, I would be his wife
http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-5...ct-when-your-tv-tries-to-be-smarter-than-you/
I usually notice it right away and am like WTF while sometimes other people question I am talking about until they eventually notice it too.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hate 3D. I didn't realize the Hobbit was going to be 3D. Will have to wait for the dvd release.

Lefty above says it will

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't either (or at least very rarely notice it) but you can definitely tell when its not there and it feels wrong.
Totally agree on the bluray player plus fancy TV combo. If you don't go into the settings of both and disable whatever they call that feature (motion correction? trumotion? depends on the brand), it will try to take your 24fps film and correct it to something faster and that looks AWFUL.
I turn that **** off on my friends' TVs when they aren't looking.
edit: in this person's story, I would be his wife
http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-5...ct-when-your-tv-tries-to-be-smarter-than-you/
I usually notice it right away and am like WTF while sometimes other people question I am talking about until they eventually notice it too.

If you're really interested in why the effect happens, it's because soap operas (and some other television shows) are shot on video, which is cheaper than film. But shooting on video increases the number of frames displayed per second, giving them that particular look.

Many modern televisions seem to automatically create additional frames, even for filmed content. This "motion interpolation" is meant to smooth motion, which might be useful if you're watching a fast-action sporting event. But it also effectively makes content that was shot on expensive film appear to have been recorded on cheap video.

Did this guy write this in 1991? Isn't everything shot digitally now? I didn't think movie studios used film anymore.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It gets a little muddled, but traditionally film was 24fps and video was 30 fps as that what was broadcast. These days you can shoot video in 24fps and more or less get a filmic look. Lensing and lighting make all the difference.

Lots of people still shoot film. Fewer each day though. And fewer film projectors.

What's interesting is the Warners has to down-convert the 48 to 24 and add blur - wonder what that will look like?

lefty

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did this guy write this in 1991? Isn't everything shot digitally now? I didn't think movie studios used film anymore.

You can shoot digitally at whatever FPS you want.

Trying to have a TV interpolate (read "make up") frames in between the actual frames that were captured does not work well. About the only think it might help are sports where the ball or puck can be really hard to follow.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It gets a little muddled, but traditionally film was 24fps and video was 30 fps as that what was broadcast. These days you can shoot video in 24fps and more or less get a filmic look. Lensing and lighting make all the difference.

Lots of people still shoot film. Fewer each day though. And fewer film projectors.

What's interesting is the Warners has to down-convert the 48 to 24 and add blur - wonder what that will look like?

lefty

Did Rodriguez finally convince Tarantino to give in to digital?

The down converting and blur sounds bad...sounds like I might have to make sure I see it in 48fps even if it means seeing it in 3D (does anyone know if this was actually filmed in 3D or was it added in post?)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The other challenge is finding a theatre that can handle the HFR. Not many can and they think it's going to take a year or so the convert.

Shot in 3D on the Red Epic. The hand-held rig is pretty cool.

lefty

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Did Rodriguez finally convince Tarantino to give in to digital?
The down converting and blur sounds bad...sounds like I might have to make sure I see it in 48fps even if it means seeing it in 3D (does anyone know if this was actually filmed in 3D or was it added in post?)

Tarantino was on Stern the other day, he was excellent.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The other challenge is finding a theatre that can handle the HFR. Not many can and they think it's going to take a year or so the convert.

Shot in 3D on the Red Epic. The hand-held rig is pretty cool.

lefty

That is a pretty cool set of rigs they have there. Although watching the process (and that overlay screen) shows why 3d will never be "fixed". In addition to having someone pull focus, they also have to go through a similar process and "pull" the 3d convergence around. There is no opportunity for your eyes to wander, you've got to accept the depth they give you. They are getting better at doing it without poking you in the eye or going too far and causing eyestrain, but it will never truly be a 3d experience.

Luckily every theater I would even consider going to in this area is listed as having HFR on their site so hopefully at least one of them does it without 3D...and if not...I might be willing to try 3D on this one.

edit: and if I wait until I go home for christmas to see it...the new theater by my parents is compatible!

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Ya, can you imagine what all of them cost?

Couple of the outtakes were borderline hokey. Are we really going to see a keystone cops scene where a door opens and people leaning on it fall thru in this movie? Comic relief is almost never well executed.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea i am apprehensive about seeing the hobbit in the new format...also loath 3d, but want to give this a shot. I am sure boston will have it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Went and saw Killing Them Softly this afternoon. It was alright. Better than The King's Speech which I just watched for the first time tonight.

glad to hear that, i am looking forward to seeing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads