1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What makes nice clothing?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wagthesam, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Right. I don't want to show people I have $$. I like these brands you guys are into and will buy into them. I have no desire whatsoever to get into stuff like A|X because brandwhoring is something I'm really against. I love quality, well made things. This usually applies to technology where I will spend much more buying something that I see time has been spent into (like my 1000$ audio system). I really regret buying this lacoste polo because especially at my age it gives the wrong message.

I like wings and horns because the material is sooo nice, and these hoodies and cardigans are the best fit and feel I have ever seen. I'm diggin the fit in BOO, I have enough shirts for now but I am definately going to pick up a few more shirts during my next work term from them.

I went from 0-100, not for any particular reason. I pick up hobbies really fast and get into them deeply for a few months before stabalizing. The reason for stabalizing is that I usualy get good at what ever I'm into and then lose the momentum (but still keep the hobby). I just had this thought one day that I shouldn't be spending random amounts of money on ill fitted clothing.

Its not only a fashion thing, its more of an interest in style, which I see this forum fits me pretty well.

I am hunting the buy and sell heavily right now for cheaper staples that I like. I have a good tailor so picking up a shirt at 20$ and getting it tailored is extremely cost effective for filling up the empty spots in my wardrobe. I am on the lookout for heavier fabrics like hoodies and cardigans right now though, fall and winter is coming up.

How much coffee do you drink?

2. wagthesam

wagthesam Well-Known Member

I'm at work.

edit: For some reason I'm so hyper today. I'm literally shaking my legs up and down and coding at an extremely fast rate.

Barely had any sleep yesterday.

3. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

Thanks all.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to tell nice quality fabric and construction?

What is the difference between the various shirt fabrics and styles? I see chambrays, what are their qualities? This must be in a thread somewhere.

to tell nice items from shitty ones, you need to try and feel lots of items in person,

one example I can think of is to feel the canvas of a Filson bag vs. the canvas of some no-name canvas bag from Gap or Old Navy.

that is difference in fabric.

Fit is another issue, BoO is great for people with 2-4% body fat. But for the majority of Americans, Gap or BR may fit better. It is subjective (depends on wearer).

Construction... you need to own the item for a long time or depend on the experience of other people. But for the most part if you are not wearing an article of clothing for work or heavy abuse, it will outlast the time period until you get tired of the item and not wear it anymore. Therefore IMO construction really only matters in footwear.

there is no guide. you can spend $300 on a Mister Freedom shirt that will last 100 years in terms of durability but if you get sick of the style in 3 years is that a good value? I think not... use your head

4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

^nice post

Only problem is he has to be able to find the good stuff to feel it, a lot of filtering and knowing where to look involved.

5. wagthesam

wagthesam Well-Known Member

Theres boutiques around me, I live in downtown Toronto.

Would you say engineered garnments is a good line to know quality from?

6. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Well-Known Member

Can someone enlighten me on the benefits of buying a 250$ BOO shirt over a 40$ Gap shirt or 60$ Jcrew shirt?
    Quality-wise, if anything the BOO shirt will be worse. I don't understand why people like them. The fabrics are nothing special, the stitching shoddy, the buttons cheap, the cut unremarkable. Must have one great marketing machine behind them! One can do much better by buying a cheaper shirt and getting it tailored.
    What about jackets? Are we paying a premium for these brands on designs, or are we paying a premium on quality? Is a Wings and Horns hoodie worth 160$+ when you can buy 4 hoodies for the same price at a mall outlet that will look similar?
    I wouldn't spend $160 on a hoodie, but then I don't wear hoodies. I don't even own one. A good jacket is worth a premium over a less well made or less interesting one.
    Whats the consensus on brands like hugo boss and armani?
    I've seen some pretty decent stuff from Armani in even the Collezioni line of late. They seem to be stepping up the quality, with nice fabrics, single-needle stitching, MOP buttons, and so on.
    This usually applies to technology where I will spend much more buying something that I see time has been spent into (like my 1000$ audio system).
    I hope that means you spend at least $700 on speakers, $275 or less on electronics boxes, and less than $25 on wires...

7. KenN

KenN Well-Known Member

Theres boutiques around me, I live in downtown Toronto.

Would you say engineered garnments is a good line to know quality from?

EG isn't high quality, I would say Wings + Horns is better.

8. XenoX101

XenoX101 Well-Known Member

Can I have access to the statistical study that provided these data points? "majority", "most" are very strong words and what do you mean by luxury brands exactly? To me it means Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Bottega Veneta etc and they're almost never discussed on the forum.
    Ah, I don't think there is a statistical study on the attitudes of people who buy luxury brands. I was referring to the people that associate luxury brands with good fashion sense and forget everything inbetween, there are many people around my area who wear armani, gucci, prada, hugo boss sloppily and assume they are fashionable or stylish simply because they are wearing a 'nice' brand. You're right, it might not be the majority and thats probably too strong a word, but certainly I've seen a lot of people with this mentality.