1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What kind of umbrella do you have?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Aug 27, 2006.

1. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

A T Fox & Co stick-through in dark brown twill - just about formal enough to use in town, whilst also perfectly acceptable at weekends also. And very good for beating off would-be muggers.

2. lsquare

lsquare Well-Known Member

What's the quality like for Hugo Boss umbrellas? I was at the Hugo Boss in NYC and they had an all-black umbrella with a leather handle. I didn't had a chance to ask for the price though.

3. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Well-Known Member

I just got myself a The Umbrella Shop Windgrinder in yellow. The double canopy seems to have solved the umbrella inverting problem so was worth the extra money.

[​IMG]

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

What's the quality like for Hugo Boss umbrellas? I was at the Hugo Boss in NYC and they had an all-black umbrella with a leather handle. I didn't had a chance to ask for the price though.

The last time I looked at them -- and it's been a while -- I wasn't impressed.

5. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member

Just took delivery last week of a Fox Whangee cane, black material for umbrella and case.

6. lsquare

The last time I looked at them -- and it's been a while -- I wasn't impressed.

I really liked that umbrella's all black look. Do you know of something similar that is good? The Gustbuster is doing well, but I don't like the wood-colour handle.

7. lsquare

I'm looking at Briggs' umbrellas and I'm wondering what sets them apart from the competition besides that it's hand-crafted? What kind of release system does Brigg employs? Is it like the Gustbuster and most umbrellas in which you lock the umbrella by pulling it and getting the metal part to slide into a lock?

8. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

Yea you pull it up and the metal cylinder thing slides over some hook. What sets it apart is the solid wood shaft - looks much nicer than a metal shaft and probably nicer than a pieced together wood shaft although I've only seen those in passing on the sidewalk.

9. lsquare

10. gehrig

gehrig Well-Known Member

I don't know what Smith ones are like but I just tape measured my Brigg and it's slightly longer than thirty six, tip part is wood (presumably still part of the shaft) and covered with a metal cap at its end. The canopy is sizable, i am six one one eighty and it covers me in its entirety, I can't imagine you will have any coverage issues unless you are immensely obese.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

I have a Totes umbrella that opens and closes automatically and fits in the back pocket of my laptop bag. What's it to ya?

12. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

A huge, black, doorman's umbrella that I bought at Hammacher Schlemmer. It covers three people; this can invite trouble. A group of Gypsies once gathered underneath my umbrella, on State Street in Chicago. They followed me all the way to Marshall Field's. I had to force the umbrella away from them, before entering the store. No, I wasn't willing to give it up.

13. lsquare

I don't know what Smith ones are like but I just tape measured my Brigg and it's slightly longer than thirty six, tip part is wood (presumably still part of the shaft) and covered with a metal cap at its end. The canopy is sizable, i am six one one eighty and it covers me in its entirety, I can't imagine you will have any coverage issues unless you are immensely obese.

So the canopy of your umbrella is greater than 36 inches? I'm shorter and thinner than you so I guess there won't be any problems there.

How does your umbrella lock up? Is it via the traditional lock system that most umbrella employs?

14. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Brigg compact that fits into the zippered outer compartment of my briefcase.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Brigg compact that fits into the zippered outer compartment of my briefcase.

The straight handle or the crook?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a standard maple from Brigg via Classic Luggage and am very happy with it, but it is sometimes a pain to carry a stick umbrella.

Do you think the compact is significantly better than some random Totes or something like that, and if so, why?

16. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

The straight handle or the crook?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a standard maple from Brigg via Classic Luggage and am very happy with it, but it is sometimes a pain to carry a stick umbrella.

Do you think the compact is significantly better than some random Totes or something like that, and if so, why?

The crook J. I find the compact to hold up in the wind way better than any other compact I've owned. The canopy seems to be larger as well.

Plus I love the wooden handle and it was under $100.[​IMG]

17. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Well-Known Member

Brigg PoW and I'm lovin it!

18. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Obviously. Where do you live? I've been around and can't remember being outside in that sort of wind.

Here on the plains of North Dakota, there's an extreme amount of wind (windmills are popping up all over the place, and we have at least one windmill manufacturing plant that is expanding all the time). I've had umbrellas invert on me three times, each time accompanied by copious amounts of nasty language.

19. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

One of the first times I carried my Brigg, I saw another fellow's umbrella turn inside out. First time I had seen it happen. You can imagine how smug I felt, though I felt bad for the poor soul. He continued to carry it over his head, collecting water like a saucer.

And Sgt, to answer your questions, the 36-inch canopy should be fine, and my Brigg uses the traditional brass locking mechanism.

20. Holstein Bilter

Holstein Bilter Well-Known Member