1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What I've Learned in Business So Far...

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Artisan Fan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Well-Known Member

I want to THANK YOU for giving this link. I wonder if there are any other links that I can watch videos of these great speakers. I know that Ted has a lot of videos of other speakers, but I still want to watch more. Where can I go about to find it?
    This is similar to the video that I watch above
    Personally, facing negativity in the workfoce is nearly impossible. the way that I see it is that working with many people, disagreeing and aruging with other colleages are inevitable.

2. explicit

explicit Member

interesting thread. great read!

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Very good thread Fran, appreciate you making the effort and sharing your experience.. I was disappointed not to see Creative Destruction amongst your recommended reading. Normally I despise Business/Management books, since they seem to be repetitive and full of common sense bullshit. Creative Destruction though was more about challenging the way corporations think, and how to successfully fight against groupthink. Still the first book I recommend when in a mentoring relationship with someone who asks for some suggested reading.

4. HanryJoyner

HanryJoyner New Member

11433 Addisleigh Park, New York, NY 10601
    These tips are really useful for me. thanks for sharing.

5. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

Finally! Phew! That was a lot of reading! It hard to stay quiet through the whole thing. Just a coupe of comments without rehashing the whole thread.

I whole-heatedly agree with this and have seen examples of this all over the place. I think what people need to understand here is most of the people here are in the top 10-15% of managers. Many of you are in large consulting firms, Fortune 500 Companies or the like. In those arena's I would anticipate a lot of "go getters." Unfortunately, outside of those places you have a few stars and sadly fewer good managers. While I think Ron's quote would be a good goal for most managers of these businesses I find the reality is 20% get absolutely buried in work and responsibilities and the other 80% coast. The mangers think they are great because the 20% still make them look great but they are killing themselves doing it. Sad but this is reality outside of Corporate America.

What strategy is involved in constantly increasing fuel prices? JK :D

Great thread! Thanks for all of your hard work putting this together AF.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I have learned that no matter how early the meeting, take the time to get your caffeine fix before your meeting. I recently attended a string of early meetings without my cup of coffee and they were complete disasters. My focus was severely lacking.

7. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

This is stupid, but what fonts do you guys use for presentations?

8. poissa

poissa Well-Known Member

I work in a financial services company supporting operations & technolgy as an internal consultant. As a side project I'm working with management to quantify business process flows and projects. The goal is to create metrics for different levels of management within a company. This may be naive, are there metrics or guides/book/areas to research metrics that could be useful for our organization for reducing complexity, risk, and time of business processes/projects.

Congrats on the promotion to partner!

9. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Well-Known Member

+1. I'm in a very similar situation except I'm in IT that supports the Financial operations in the company and at some point will have to work with metrics. Atm, I've been just looking at past metrics and identifying areas for improvement myself but if there are any external resources, I'd definitely interested in reading.

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Make sure it matches and isn't something wacky and that is basically all you need. Some firms have very specific style guides and even go so far as having their own fonts (I would guess they are really just a stock typeface from a big foundry with a small change or two that they slap their name on to seem cool and make sure everyone uses it).

At my company, reports that get filed with the court for a trial are almost always done in TNR. Charts and tables in these are TNR to match. If there is then testimony in addition to filing our report, a lot of the powerpoint decks I do are on very simple templates and use calibri. Any versions of charts/tables from the report that are then used in the presentation are also moved to calibri to match.

I wouldn't be opposed to standardizing on some "nice" font but all of microsoft's default fonts are reasonable when used consistently

11. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

12. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

arial.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Working on LinkedIn profile...I am just a recent grad, looking for work in project analysis (finance) but my background includes statistics. Any ideas how I should word my headline? I had it as "Student" for the longest time.:embar:

"Highly motivated, reliable partner looking to fulfill deadlines, goals in Research & Analysis"

"Highly motivated, reliable partner | Enjoy the arts of research & analysis"

How does that sound?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  14. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Well-Known Member

Try replacing "student" with "business analyst"

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst seeking opportunity to ....."

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I had an interesting thing happen to me this week, and didn't really have anyplace else to fit it in.

when I joined my present company, one of the guys who reported to me was a basic waste of oxygen. 61, really out of shape, and with a really bad attitude. his job involved a lot of travel, and he would basically travel twice a year, fly one day, rest one day, metings one day, repeat. so his meetings were costing the company a huge amount - I think that I calcuated them at 8K a meeting. and his sales were piss poor. but nobody had ever managed him, and so he had gotten set into really bad habbits. I tried to help get him out of the habbits, but he fought me tooth an dnail, so we moved his job to Singapore, and he retired. he was eally pissed off when I told him.

this week he passed away. if he hadn't retired early, he would had retired just now.

this might seem self serving, but I am happy that he got to spend a little more time with his grandkids and wife, and enjoy retirement. I don't think he got any joy out of doing his work poorly.

16. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

I remember you mentioning this guy on the forum a couple years ago. I agree with your assessment, you should be happy to have given him a push to retirement.

I have a simple question but would appreciate some insight.

I was accidentally cc'ed on an email that should have been sent to someone with the same first name as me. The content was sensitive and not something I should have been privy to...but not really critical. The big boss noticed the error and emailed the sender to mention to be more careful.

The question...should I reply to say something like "Message deleted" or just ignore it?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  17. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

thanks

I would ignore the email

18. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Arial and Calibri.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  19. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Thank you ChicagoRon, now to figure out what I really want to do...:embar:

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst seeking opportunity to assist with finance-related planning, challenges, resource programs and special projects."

Too much for LinkedIn header? I pulled it off some IBM job description :lol: But that is generally what I'm interested in--I do have a finance and statistics degree :satisfied:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  20. TheTukker

TheTukker Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have commented if you had not done such a long write-up, but I am not so sure about your conclusion. You may be correct of course, but if he was really that pissed off when you told him, he may have been disgruntled for the remaining years of his life. And what's worse, his wife and kids may have had to bear it. Again, could be wrong, but I would caution against such conclusions. Getting layed off can do strange things to people, especially if it's their last job.