1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What item did you buy that started off your clothing obsession?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shoe fetishisisisist, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Shoe fetishisisisist

Shoe fetishisisisist Well-Known Member

For me it was a pair of Barker Dartford in black calf and bugundy hi-shine, these would probably be sneered at by SF but at the time £140 for a pair of shoes!!! I felt like god in them I did a google search maybe a few days later on something related and found this place, well as you can imagine it all went downhill from there [​IMG] What item got you into the whole sartorial scene and what are your opinions on it/them now? do you still love it or since being on SF do you regard it as overpriced tat. I still have my barkers and have just dropped them off to have a new heel units, i still love them but SF did take some of the sparkle away [​IMG] Your thoughts gentlemen [​IMG] Chris.

2. juvefan

juvefan Well-Known Member

same story, my item was a dark blue gray-tipped cardigan. i gooogled "what to wear with cardigan"

3. Galix

Galix Well-Known Member

I bought a polo shirt made by Loewe. It was certainly overpriced compared to other options I have discovered around here. But the quality was outstanding and the fit incredible. With that polo I learnt what Egyptian Cotton was all about and that these details like fabric or cut make the difference.

4. mlongano

mlongano Well-Known Member

I've been wearing suits since grade school, but I guess it was when I started purchasing my own clothes at the age of 14 when I was a freshman in high school.

I worked part time for a men's shop and bought all of my clothes for school with my own money, including a three piece herringbone suit. From that time on I purchased all of my own clothes and have enjoyed fine clothing.

5. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

Church's Grafton Burgundy, now i just cant stop buying shoes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Shoe fetishisisisist

Shoe fetishisisisist Well-Known Member

Church's Grafton Burgundy, now i just cant stop buying shoes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd say that shoes are easily the most addictive item, especially if you have an eye for detail.

7. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

I bought a suit that I needed and it was a Canali that I got from Bernini.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

I'd say that shoes are easily the most addictive item, especially if you have an eye for detail.
    x2 I just bought some shell cordovan shoes in 12A. They are too tight for me, but I was seriously considering cutting off my small toe to make them fit.

9. mm84321

mm84321 Well-Known Member

A Tom Ford shawl cardigan. Ruined me forever.

10. IsteRed

IsteRed Well-Known Member

My first pocket square brought me to SF,i've bought a tie/ps set and googled how/when to wear ps,that brought me to SF...

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Cucinelli linen/cotton button down. Found it in a crazy sale at Neiman Marcus (I think I ended up snagging it for like $50). Had never heard of the brand but was quite intrigued and impressed.

Once I began to look into it I was a dead man walking. My bank account has never recovered.

12. raiderbuck

raiderbuck Well-Known Member

I didn't really "buy" this...but my father gave me an old pair of AE PA's. To me they were just boring captoes, but he told me that they were about twenty year's old. They were in good condition, however the soles needed repair. I know AEs aren't the most impressive, but as a kid it was pretty amazing seeing a pair of dress shoes that were older than me look BETTER than my own dress shoes.

That started a converstion about buying quality items, and taking care of your clothes. That's what started it for me.

13. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Well-Known Member

A Hugo Boss made in the USA suit. Didn't know any better at the time, but my taste (and wardrobe) have improved significantly since.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

I googled "made to measure shirts" on stumbled upon some threads on SF. Got a couple MTM shirts to start off with and it's been a spending spree since then.

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

I was a child model when I was two. I would say it started then, and never really stopped.

16. miurasv

miurasv Well-Known Member

I remember getting a pair of platform shoes in 1973 when I was 10 from a shop called Turners in Neath, South Wales. These shoes cost £4.29 and were 100% plastic vinyl and were absolutely stunning. The shine was incredible and I was mesmerised. Unfortunately the shine rubbed off immediately I wore them or gave them a polish and I was gutted. The high heel snapped off after a while, though I was probably hard on them. My quest for quality shiny shoes that stay shiny started then. A couple of years later I got a pair of Ox Blood 8 Hole Doctor Martens that I was very proud of and I managed to keep them very shiny. The leather on these was like Shell Cordovan.

17. jamaican

jamaican Well-Known Member

After much arm-twisting my father bought me a pair of black read and cement Nike Air Jordans (as they were then called) in the summer of 1989... I have not looked back since... the footwear has changed over the years from athletic shoes to smart casual Gucci loafers and the like to Crockett & Jones and G&G etc in latter years... still like them kicks! J

18. JDMills

JDMills Well-Known Member

Bought a navy blue and yellow/gold repp tie, my parents had a few shirts mtm for me when I was 15.... from there it just became an obsession lol, but I love it and wouldnt give it up, had some of the best conversations and met incredibly interesting people just by talking to them about what they were wearing.

Not to mention that the ladies like it too [​IMG]

19. Wolfador

Wolfador Well-Known Member

BB Golden Fleece by Martin Greenfield suit.

Went looking for a suit to wear for my sisters wedding, the only one they had my size was the GF suit. It was priced $1600 marked down to $1298, but at that price it was in the MTM range of the 1818 suits so we started looking at one of those. The SA went and checked the price on the GF and rang up $374 after our 25% discount.

Figured I saved so much I did some special order shirts and some other accessories for the wedding.

20. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

Polo Darltons. Still unworn.