1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

what is your religion?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by matadorpoeta, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

One problem with having Code be part of religion is that it is sometimes to narrow a view due to many factors such as when it was created. For example, there is no commandment that tells good Christians to not pollute thy planet. Or one to tell AIDS ridden countries that condoms are OK. Being a moral person can be defined in many ways, of course, but I think I'll decide that for myself and not limit myself to a set of rules that were made thousands of years ago.

Like it or not, orthopraxy (an highly codified set of social and ritualistic pratices-what Jen called "cult" and "code") is one of the two major part of a religion, along with orthodoxy (what jen called creed, basically faith), of course the exact dosage of both vary from religion to religion, making modern christians, a relatively more orthodoxical bunch when compared with muslims or jews. I would argue that if you reject orthopraxy, like a lot of believers do, you effectively remove yourself from the ranks of "christians", although you might be counted as someone who believes in a higher power.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

as a side affect of the modern world, many of us don't have a solid religion, as defined by Jen. I have to assosiate it with our society having less control over us and less ability to socialize us completly - in much of the world, and iin most of human history, you would have access to a few hundred people, and the idea that they could vocalize. today in the connected world, you meet thousands (or tens of thousands) of people, you have access to virtually unlimited ammounts of media, you meet, talk and communicate with people who come from very different backgrounds from you, so you assimilate a lot of data.

creed - I don't believe in anything... or to be more accurate, I neither believe in god nor believe strongly that god doesn't exist. I believe that I will never have enough information about this to make a decision, and so I do not think about it.

Cult - basically, I worship according to reform jewish practices. I didn't go into a synagogue for 20 years or so, but started going when my son was old enough to go, for his sake. I feel very strongly that if you remove this element of culture from a child's upbringing then they go out looking for something later on in life, and I want to avoid that. After I starte going, I found that I enjoy the services, they remind me a lot of going as a kid.

Code - hard to say, I would say that I lived the largest part of my adult life according to some basterdized home made code that was a hybrid of ayn rand and bushido. with maturity, I would say that my code is very similar to what you might expect from the grandson of both a presbeterian minister whose family came over on the mayflower and a Russian jewish born ethiest - sort of old school wasp meets new york jew.

3. Sucrose

Sucrose Active Member

Logic is a very tidy, internally consistent way to describe our understanding of the world. That doesn't make it infallible.

Why do you have such faith that reason is infallible?

I think the question is not whether logic and reason are infallible or perfect; the real question is what available alternatives there are to being logical and rational. Otherwise I think this gets into the fallacy of unobtainable perfection. Logic and rationality work far better for human beings than anything else, even though logic and rationality are not perfect. Even devoutly religious people utilize logic and reason to survive in the world.

4. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

It's no secret that this country's religious centers are located in the rural and/or southern southern states. On a smaller scale, even urban districts in Texas voted for Kerry.

If you look at only nothern states and cities, the percentages change dramatically.

So according to this logic, there are no Southern or rural participants to menswear fora? I don't disagree with your assertion. I just don't know how it explains the disparity between the (now) 35% Athiest here vs. the 2% on the pie chart.

5. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

So according to this logic, there are no Southern or rural participants to menswear fora? I don't disagree with your assertion. I just don't know how it explains the disparity between the (now) 35% Athiest here vs. the 2% on the pie chart.
    Clearly atheists are well-dressed.* *: Or at least like to talk about dressing well on the internet, which might be an entirely different thing.... More seriously, it's probably the result of multiple factors at work all at once. While I see what you were saying above, there probably are a relatively greater percentage of urban posters on this forum than there are northern and/or coastal city-dwellers in the population at large. Just look at how many members all hail from NYC! There's also probably a surfeit of higher education and upper income brackets on the forum, which IIRC tracks a little bit with a move away from religion. I don't remember the numbers, though, and I could be wrong about this. But most importantly, I think the biggest selection effect is that only people who bother responding to the poll in the first place are the people who are devoted enough to their position to start discussing it in a menswear forum on the internet... so you're probably pulling much more from the extremes. Plus, it's the internet. There's always that.

6. zikezx

zikezx New Member

hey just a questions to those atheist..just curious here..

what are your practices and beliefs?

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Frankly I don't believe I have ever met and been on a first name basis with more than 2 Quebeckers who actively practiced an organised religion (I'm not saying I don't know some people who believe in a higher power) so depending on where you live those stats are quite conservative...

8. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

So according to this logic, there are no Southern or rural participants to menswear fora?
    Nary a one.

9. Jill

Jill Well-Known Member

Nary a one.
    Ah. OK. Now I understand. [​IMG]

10. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bah. I was expecting a Vonnegutian follow-up but you guys are all serious and whatnots.

I'd say I'm a hyper-existentialist with an agnostic bent depending on how my day is going. If that even means anything.

11. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Well-Known Member

Nary a one.

Is that a joke? I'm about as rural (and a little Southern) as it gets.

12. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Well-Known Member

Is that a joke? I'm about as rural (and a little Southern) as it gets.

Check AlanC's location. Or mine, for that matter. I have a love affair with grits, I take my tea sweet, I don't sweat wearing jeans in the middle of the summer, I was brought up by Southern belles to be a gentleman, and I know the best food I'll ever eat was free and at home.

His comment was a joke.

13. aslette

aslette New Member

Till birth...I am a christian.......[​IMG]

14. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

OK, In the world there are many, many more Christians and Muslims than Jews. Very interesteing that 9:1 (J:M) ratio is not at all representitive of population numbers. Any comments?

And who was naive/foolish/brave enough to identify themselves as a M? NSA is watching!

And who are these who associate & commumicate with him/her on this website. Is "EG" a code?

Paranoia Cha cha cha....
    -

15. Margaret

Margaret Well-Known Member

Very interesteing that 9:1 (J:M) ratio is not at all representitive of population numbers. Any comments?

And who was naive/foolish/brave enough to identify themselves as a M? NSA is watching!

Perhaps you've provided at least part of the answer to your own implied question. [​IMG]

16. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Well-Known Member

Perhaps you've provided at least part of the answer to your own implied question. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Yet to take part in the pole. The caring sharing me was trying to point this out. Sort of
    [​IMG] Yes I used to have a telephone number that had a lot of "6" in it. It also ended with "666". My friends told me that I should start the devil worship hotline at that number! Now I do not see that "faith" represented. Or for that fact Wiccans.

Surprised no one has raised this issue yet. Wasn't so long ago that media was trying to warn us of our kids being drawn into devil worhip religions.