• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is with Lighter Brown Shoes and Navy lately?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Actually, I wear light brown shoes with a dark suit and am 50. Guess I am just an older punk.
No sir, it just means you haven't lost your sense of style. I think there are rules (very few that must be adhered to, like matching belt color and shoes) and softer rules that obviously older trad men and the "younger", more fashion-forward tend to disagree on.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll wear my A-E Byrons in chili with my navy suit, but they've got to be complementing something--either yellow or gold tie or an ivory or pale yellow shirt.

Isn't this look supposed to be popular with the men of Milan, who are supposed to be the most stylish in the world?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I never even realized that there was anything wierd about wearing brown shoes with a navy suit.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Honestly, I never even realized that there was anything wierd about wearing brown shoes with a navy suit.

Goodness, neither have I. In fact, I dont care for black shoes with a navy suit.

aybojs

Reaction score
I love light brown shoes with navy/charcoal suits, and actually have a pair of the light brown buffalo grain Lobb's you posted above. Something about dark brown just doesn't do it for me; I only have one pair of chocolate brown shoes, and it doesn't get as much wear as the lighter shoes in my collection.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a nicely patinated pair of brown shoes sets off the navy/blue suit much more pleasingly to my eye than black; must be my Italiophile side of the brain talking, though.

koji

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Actually, I wear light brown shoes with a dark suit and am 50. Guess I am just an older punk.

Actually, all of the original NYC punks from the 70's are in their 50's
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
GQ is on my side, at least they where in January of 2005: http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/shoes/498

ah, but it's 2006 and the latest issue of GQ says otherwise, that brown shoes go with everything and there's no reason to wear black shoes. I'm sure in a year's time the headline will be "black is the new black, put those brown shoes in storage!"

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to think black shoes only with business suits, but I have been wearing some dark brown calf and burgundy cordovan shoes with navy and grey suits. Takes some getting used to, but I now appreciate the richness and depth in these shoes. These are details that enrich an otherwise stoic and dull navy suit. BTW, I also prefer dark brown natural horn buttons on my navy suits. God is in the details.....

kcc

Reaction score
Speaking of brown shoes with suits, how does everyone feel about suede shoes with suits. On a recent trip to Kiton's boutique, I encountered a sales associate who advocated wearing suede anytime.

The more I think about it, the more elegant it seems.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well short of really formal suits and beyond, he's right; it's an excellent look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads