1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What is with Lighter Brown Shoes and Navy lately?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lino, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Lino

Lino Well-Known Member

I am seeing this more and more. Light brown shoes (from almost bone tan to chestnut, sometimes with a bit more orange) and navy suits.

For example:

These [​IMG]

Or these (I know it's John Lobb, but...) [​IMG]

Another example [​IMG]

Or even these very light ones (the secong from right"”I saw an example of this color (not this shoe) paired with a dark Kiton suit in the window of Barneys): [​IMG]

What happened to brown shoes with a suit being dark?

I mentioned this to some folks at work and I was told "it's the new thing". All I could think is, "how long will it last?"

GQ is on my side, at least they where in January of 2005: http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/shoes/498

2. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

It's a flashy look, no question. It won't be fashionable forever, but it will be stylish.

Tom

3. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

Italian style. Disregarding the colour, most of those shoes are too rustic to be paired with something like a navy suit, IMO. I hate that look.

4. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

5. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I prefer dark brown, personally.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

First of all, I don't like bluchers with suits like those posted above anyway, unless they are more formal-looking derbies such that the laces aren't visible under the trouser at all. Second, I do wear lighter colored shoes with darker trousers and like the look. Like with a gray:

[​IMG]

And, although burgundy/oxblood is usually my go to shoe with black, I also wear dark brown with black:

[​IMG]

There is nothing wrong with wearing shoes lighter than your trousers, in my opinion.

7. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

brown is for farmer

8. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

It won't be fashionable forever, but it will be stylish.

Tom

Can I quote you on that? Oh wait, I just did!

I love the look, but I wouldn't wear it to a very formal business situation. It's a little more casual for me.

brown is for farmer

Oh no you di'in!

9. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

It's very poular in Italy. I don't like it either. I prefer black shoes with suits anyway.

!luc

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

I'm a brown-shoes-with-suits kind of guy, and have been known to sport a lighter, chestnut brown with navy. It's certainly not an everyday look, but it's good for a change.

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I'm a brown-shoes-with-suits kind of guy, and have been known to sport a lighter, chestnut brown with navy. It's certainly not an everyday look, but it's good for a change.

I agree,I like the contrast of the cool to warm color. It took some getting used to the contrast, but especially in spring I enjoy the change. I think if it is a classic shoe, and you have some color up top, the dark contrast of the suit can fit nicely.

12. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

It may well be my poor clothing judgment, but I like the look of lighter brown shoes with navy and do that combination myself. I would probably not wear it to court or to a very serious litigation meeting, but then if I really wanted to blend, I would have to revamp the wardrobe in any event.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I wear a lot of light brown with suits, I even have a red pair of oxfords that I wear with a suit and tie. I wear derbies with suits as well. I think that it is a matter of making sure that the combination is good rather than going by hard and fast rules.

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Is it safe to say that based on these responses there are no hard and fast rules across the board, and it really is a matter of personal taste and whether you think the combo you choose pulls off the look you're looking for? I'm certainly glad my tastes of someone in his late twenties is quite different than that of "older executive." Maybe when I'm 50 or 60 sitting on the board of directors of some company I can comment on the "young punks." But for now, I'll be one of those punks with the light brown shoes and a dark suit.

15. marc237

marc237 Well-Known Member

Is it safe to say that based on these responses there are no hard and fast rules across the board, and it really is a matter of personal taste and whether you think the combo you choose pulls off the look you're looking for? I'm certainly glad my tastes of someone in his late twenties is quite different than that of "older executive." Maybe when I'm 50 or 60 sitting on the board of directors of some company I can comment on the "young punks." But for now, I'll be one of those punks with the light brown shoes and a dark suit.

Actually, I wear light brown shoes with a dark suit and am 50. Guess I am just an older punk.

16. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

Actually, I wear light brown shoes with a dark suit and am 50. Guess I am just an older punk.
    No sir, it just means you haven't lost your sense of style. I think there are rules (very few that must be adhered to, like matching belt color and shoes) and softer rules that obviously older trad men and the "younger", more fashion-forward tend to disagree on.

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I'll wear my A-E Byrons in chili with my navy suit, but they've got to be complementing something--either yellow or gold tie or an ivory or pale yellow shirt.

Isn't this look supposed to be popular with the men of Milan, who are supposed to be the most stylish in the world?

18. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Honestly, I never even realized that there was anything wierd about wearing brown shoes with a navy suit.

19. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Honestly, I never even realized that there was anything wierd about wearing brown shoes with a navy suit.

Goodness, neither have I. In fact, I dont care for black shoes with a navy suit.

20. aybojs

aybojs Well-Known Member

I love light brown shoes with navy/charcoal suits, and actually have a pair of the light brown buffalo grain Lobb's you posted above. Something about dark brown just doesn't do it for me; I only have one pair of chocolate brown shoes, and it doesn't get as much wear as the lighter shoes in my collection.