1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What is the Single Best Upper Body Exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by furo, Apr 19, 2011.

1. furo

furo Well-Known Member

the interesting thing about pushups that I've noticed is that doing pushups will generally increase the weight you can push on a flat bench, but the reverse, i.e. doing nothing but flat bench workouts will do little for your ability to do many pushups in a single set.

i guess it has something to do with building burst strength vs muscular endurance

2. cunning47

cunning47 Well-Known Member

Bicep curls.
    Shrugs brah

3. D Yizz

D Yizz Well-Known Member

Deadlifts, weighted pull ups.

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Are you all just trying to be contrary by ignoring the bench press?

5. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Forearm Wrist Curls

6. D Yizz

D Yizz Well-Known Member

Are you all just trying to be contrary by ignoring the bench press?

Bench press is a great exercise, but it's not a compound exercise like deadlifts. DL's work most of the upper body muscles including back, as well as your quads and hams.

7. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Well-Known Member

the interesting thing about pushups that I've noticed is that doing pushups will generally increase the weight you can push on a flat bench, but the reverse, i.e. doing nothing but flat bench workouts will do little for your ability to do many pushups in a single set.

i guess it has something to do with building burst strength vs muscular endurance

Also, pushups require a lot of core strength that you can bench pretty well without.

8. Becks23

Becks23 Well-Known Member

clean & jerk.

9. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

Pushups - you can do them anywhere and there are dozens of variations to make them harder/easier.

10. James_M

James_M Well-Known Member

Bench press is a great exercise, but it's not a compound exercise like deadlifts. DL's work most of the upper body muscles including back, as well as your quads and hams.

How is bench press not a compound exercise?

11. virus646

virus646 Well-Known Member

This threak belongs in dumb thread.

12. menaceko

menaceko Member

squats are the best upper body exercise.

on a more serious note, either weighted pull ups/dips or the barbell press. all are extremely effective compound movements.

13. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

Pushups - you can do them anywhere and there are dozens of variations to make them harder/easier.

This.

14. djlukin

djlukin Well-Known Member

Pull Ups and Chin Ups Combined. Bench Press. Row. Dips. Those are upper body essentials. Vary grip and types of bench and row for more diversity. Add weight for dips and pullups.

15. Wodin

Wodin Active Member

I'm a fan of burpee pullups. It's a compound thing but is a real butt kicker.

16. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

Actually I'm torn between heavy push presses (which I seldom do) and side presses (which I will attempt soon).

[​IMG]

Socks and sandles! Gaaaaaaaaaaaahh

17. jungshoe

jungshoe Well-Known Member

weighted dips

+1

18. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Why is the clean an press not on this?

19. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

Why is the clean an press not on this?
    I'd say clean and press is a full body exercise but a push press would be number one for me. Push press forces your abs and spinal erectors to contract, lats, rhomboids and traps all work to support your shoulder girdle as your delts and triceps push up. the added leg drive really makes this an effective exercise.

20. menaceko

menaceko Member

I'd say clean and press is a full body exercise but a push press would be number one for me. Push press forces your abs and spinal erectors to contract, lats, rhomboids and traps all work to support your shoulder girdle as your delts and triceps push up. the added leg drive really makes this an effective exercise.

not to mention it's one of the best exercises for determining strength. I've noticed someone who can push press a lot can put up a lot of weight on other lifts like bench, power clean, etc..