• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Gianni Versace wearing here?

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score
Was browsing this website and it came up with a picture of Gianni Versace wearing this shirt.
What kind of shirt it this? Is it perhaps one of his own creations or something?

Obviously, it's very much evening wear, would it be cool to wear to a party or possibly a bit gay?

article-1337585-0004206000000258-210_468x619.jpg

Knisse

Reaction score
Serious or trolling...

Anyway, isnt that just a basic denim or chambray shirt?

And that gay thing is just stupid, if you like men you are gay - it doesnt depend on what you wear...

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am more concerned about what the girls are wearing...

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a damn cool shirt. It looks like he jazzed it up himself.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He often wore his own creations; based on the buttons, I'd say for sure that's Versace. Early 1990's Versace was really quite unique, and the quality of the mainline was outstanding. Spoo may come along and post more; he's a big Versace fan. As is member OspreyGuy, though I don't know if he posts anymore. He had many original Versace items from the 1980's/1990's, quite like this. Is that Eric Clapton drinking white wine behind him?
lol8[1].gif

animeman05

Reaction score
Looks like her is wearing two very nice accessories.

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I may send Osprey and Spoo a message to see if they have one for sale. As I get my clothes tailored though, I wonder there are any better photos of such a shirt ? What sort of fabric, etc? Any help would be really appreciated.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lincolnshirepaul
Thanks for your help, I may send Osprey and Spoo a message to see if they have one for sale. As I get my clothes tailored though, I wonder there are any better photos of such a shirt ? What sort of fabric, etc? Any help would be really appreciated.
The chances of anybody having this shirt are slim to none. One, it was probably a seasonal or perhaps even bespoke piece he had his atelier make. Even if it were not, it's probably 20+ years old, and was perhaps produced only once. It was definitely not a "standard" Versace item. I think you're not going to find this shirt at all, though you could always get a standard western shirt and do a bit of work on it yourself to get the same effect. Also keep in mind that this shirt probably cost a fortune, even back in 1991 or 1992. Versace shirts from the top line often were many hundreds, if not over a thousand, dollars.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Is that Eric Clapton drinking white wine behind him?
lol8[1].gif

lol, good eye

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That shirt is a black 95% cotton 5% lycra shirt with 24k gold tipped collars and medusa points on the pockets. From the FW '92 or SS '93 collection, original retail about $750 or so. There have been several variations of this shirt on eBay over the past few months. There was also a version in leather to look out for. Pretty sure that exact shirt was listed and ended without a bid in January. Here's a diffusion line one ('94) without the hardware in Indigo Heres a similar one (not the one you want but almost) from '98 ish That is Clapton in the back, at the post party for the runway show in Milan for the very collection that shirt was from. That pic is also the cover of Lowri Turner's horrible book on him, "Fashions Last Emperor". I dont have that particular model, but if I ever come across one, I will let you know. Good luck with your search.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
That shirt is a black 95% cotton 5% lycra shirt with 24k gold tipped collars and medusa points on the pockets. From the FW '92 or SS '93 collection, original retail about $750 or so. There have been several variations of this shirt on eBay over the past few months. There was also a version in leather to look out for. Pretty sure that exact shirt was listed and ended without a bid in January.

Here's a diffusion line one ('94) without the hardware in Indigo

Heres a similar one (not the one you want but almost) from '98 ish

That is Clapton in the back, at the post party for the runway show in Milan for the very collection that shirt was from. That pic is also the cover of Lowri Turner's horrible book on him, "Fashions Last Emperor".

I dont have that particular model, but if I ever come across one, I will let you know. Good luck with your search.

I knew if anybody would know, it was you! Thanks for the excellent info, Spoo.
smile.gif

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is some godly knowledge dropped right there. Nice location too
wink.gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie....I was just really impressed.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Want more?...

Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I am more concerned about what the girls are wearing...

Well, Carla is wearing a "Leopard Baroque" keyhole gown in metallic silk. What was so wonderful about this fabric is that it has actual metal in it. See the sheen in the light by where she is crossing her leg? Thats striated metal woven into the silk. Its light as a feather, but shimmers like gold. You can see it a bit closer here in this shameless plug for my auction
spam[1].gif
Gianni invented the fabric in 1992.

He also invented a fabric called "Oroton" which is basically metal mesh. You can read some and see some better pics of both examples here. Sure, Whiting and Davis have used metal mesh for hundreds of years, but Gianni invented a version of it in 1982 that he incorporated into RTW.

I have one of the last examples of a Gianni designed Oroton gown, from the Atelier 1995 collection that is just amazing. If anyone gives a ****, I can try and take pics.

Naomi is wearing the same "Leopard Baroque" gown in a foulard silk twill. Hidden are 24k gold plated shoulder straps, formed in the greek frieze (commonly known as the greek key). Want to go on a date with her? Of course you need the mens shirt to match!
wink.gif

Sorry for the overload - its a slow day in MC
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics