1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What have so far been the worst fashion crimes you and/or others have committed ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pristine, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

No, they're not that bad. The Made in Italy ones.

A more complete list of my crimes:
    Giorgio Brutini Shoes
    White Socks
    Cole Haan Shoes
    Aldo Dress Shoes
    Shopping at Men's Wearhouse
    -Calvin Klein Suit
    -Kenneth Cole Suit
    -Trusting their alterations tailor
    Loafers with a Tuxedo
    Loafers with a suit
    Square Toed Donald J Pliner Loafers
    Black Running Shoes with black trousers and a white dress shirt

I'm 19. Give me a break, I'm learning.

Wow. You know a lot for someone your age!

2. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

No, they're not that bad. The Made in Italy ones. A more complete list of my crimes: Giorgio Brutini Shoes White Socks Cole Haan Shoes Aldo Dress Shoes Shopping at Men's Wearhouse -Calvin Klein Suit -Kenneth Cole Suit -Trusting their alterations tailor Loafers with a Tuxedo Loafers with a suit Square Toed Donald J Pliner Loafers Black Running Shoes with black trousers and a white dress shirt I'm 19. Give me a break, I'm learning.
    +1 on the Men's Wearhouse, especially their alterations tailor. Dear god are they inept. I also partially blame them for the fact that, until recently, I didn't know my proper jacket size.

3. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

The all black look.Black suit and black open neck shirt.Very Tom Ford.
    The black shirt with the cream suit.Very Pacino.

4. Gravitas

Gravitas Well-Known Member

I haven't committed too many MC crimes, outside of owning a pair of very clunky dress shoes (thankfully a square-toe has never (dis)graced my foot) or owning some very billowy shirts (I used to believe that people purposefully had their shirts billow out slightly over the belt). I am guilty of forcing skinny jeans into a lot of fits where they don't work (clunky footwear).

I didn't know my actual size for jackets until a little before I joined SF. I was shopping with a friend and tried on a 38 M65 by Boss which happened to fit perfectly (I had assumed I was mostly an L prior). Luckily I had only one SC anyway, which I had worn only once (I think it was a 42 at least!).

5. Octavio Interrupted

Octavio Interrupted Well-Known Member

Cary Elwes-esque coif.
    No no no, this thread is about fashion crimes, not things that are awesome.

6. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I mean, what else are you supposed to wear as office casual?

That's what I'm saying. Or with a casual sportcoat, or under a sweater (so the collar doesn't flop out). There are a lot of uses for a button down.

7. B|aze

B|aze Well-Known Member

They must be forced to take them off in public and apologized in public for crime against sartorial humanity.

Yes I couldnt' agree more. The only time they don't wear socks in sandals is when they are at the beach and insist on being completely naked. This is not against the law in Denmark...but just because it isn't illegal, doesn't make it a good idea [​IMG]

8. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Well-Known Member

That one time Andrew Cunanan killed Gianni Versace.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I really gotta bury that stripper's body. Oh wait "fashion crimes"!!!

10. sonlegoman

11. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Well-Known Member

Wore a knit tie once and then only briefly. I did not want to further the crime by wearing very long.

12. sonlegoman

Wore a knit tie once and then only briefly. I did not want to further the crime by wearing very long.

Whoa , watch yourself there, you felon, you.

13. wingin' it

wingin' it Well-Known Member

Button down collars a crime? Say it ain't so! I love my OCBDs! They're not for all occasions, but they definitely have their place.

On the button down collars, for clarity, I meant all occasions, all the time. Thought they looked better. I still have them and wear them. Did not mean that I tossed them all out.

14. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    On the button down collars, for clarity, I meant all occasions, all the time. Thought they looked better. I still have them and wear them. Did not mean that I tossed them all out.

Ah, yes. I can see where this could be problematic. As much as I love them for casual wear, it's remarkable how cringe-worthy they become when I see people wear them in the wrong context.

15. MacM05

MacM05 Member

Uh oh...according to you guys, I've already committed a crime.
    My crime is that I LIKE wearing my cole haan shoes. I know that they are ugly but they're super comfortable!!!

16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Worst crimes in mens fashion I have seen, are t-shirts under sport jackets (collar grime guaranteed)
    and those hideous platform shoes of the late 1970's. 1970's polyester & nylon-anything, and giant lapels a la Austin Powers.

17. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Worst crimes in mens fashion I have seen, are t-shirts under sport jackets (collar grime guaranteed)
    and those hideous platform shoes of the late 1970's. 1970's polyester & nylon-anything, and giant lapels a la Austin Powers.

The seventies were shocking...Brown suits and trousers with flares...

18. williamson

williamson Well-Known Member

The seventies were shocking...Brown suits and trousers with flares...

I believe there is a book entitled "The 1970s - the decade that taste forgot" How right!

19. Dburr

Dburr Well-Known Member

I try to be law abiding at all times. White sox with jacket and tie is high treason - no sox with the same outfit should carry the death penalty.

20. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Death penalty Californian version , 25 years of appeals forced to wear the same orange jumpsuit with CDC on the back, or Chinese version ,a state lawyer and a bullet in the head the following day?