1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Gaziano & Girling models are you ordering at the trunk show?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Just curious as to what people here like in the MTO catalog...what color leather as well....

Anyone doing a bespoke order?

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

sorry i got into this late, but where is this gaziano trunk show going to take place? and if i am in california, does he take phone orders?
    you say his mtm is less than a thousand dollars?

i am very interested in a burgundy/cherry plain toe or wholecut in an elongated last with beveled waist.

3. Artisan Fan

I have to search for my email but he is visiting several cities around Oct. 20th or so I believe.

4. kronik

kronik Well-Known Member

I have to search for my email but he is visiting several cities around Oct. 20th or so I believe.

DC isn't on that list is it?

5. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

sorry i got into this late, but where is this gaziano trunk show going to take place? and if i am in california, does he take phone orders?
    you say his mtm is less than a thousand dollars?

i am very interested in a burgundy/cherry plain toe or wholecut in an elongated last with beveled waist.

They'll tour San Francisco, Dallas & NY. For their detail schedule go to their website and click "exhibition."

AF, I am considering Connaught, Westbury, Sinatra, Hughes & Grant. Decsion, decsion. What about you?

6. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

I'm doing two bespoke (shown) and the
    MTO Hayes (although I'm wrestling with whether to get it in the tie-up version or the monk, the Carlyle). Thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

SF is Friday the 13th and Sat morning the 14th. Unfortunately I am here this weekend and may not get back in 2 weeks.

Beautiful shoes LARon.

Anyone know if you can order a mixed size (same last) in an MTO?? I have a 9E left foot and an 8.5E right foot.

Perry

8. Artisan Fan

Very nice shoes Ron. [​IMG]

9. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys (I'll be sure to tell Tony his artisanship is highly appreciated on SF, and even encourage him to become a member).

I'm really looking forward to, both, meeting Tony and the whole bespoke experience. I've been dreaming of these three pairs of shoes (including the Hayes, below) -- as well as two Koji Suzukis -- since I first joined the Forum. I can't believe their nearly here/mine. Unbelievable!

My dilemma with the Hayes is that, while I love the the tie-up version, I don't have any cool monks, save a pair of Crockett and Jones that, compared to the Carlyle, seem quite pedestrian (no pun intended). I may have to call an audible on this one, on site with Tony.
    [​IMG]

10. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

those are sweet shoes! i have already put a m2o myself a grant and a michell but next time i get the chance to go back to the uk i am thinking about getting the bespoke croc version on the site[​IMG]

11. Artisan Fan

Those pebbled grain Cannes loafers are exquisite.

I have one or two other models I am thinking about that I will post soon.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I really like the Connaught, Hanly, Astaire, and Derwent, but in calf. I may go to check them out, but with the exchange rate....

13. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Are you guys worried that, with a new company such as this, he will be inundated with orders and may have turnaround problems. (See, e.g., Darren Beaman)?

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Are you guys worried that, with a new company such as this, he will be inundated with orders and may have turnaround problems. (See, e.g., Darren Beaman)?
    I guess that I just don't see what makes these shoes so special.

16. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

You can divide this question into two parts, one regarding the RTW shoes and one regarding the bespoke shoes. Tony knows how many pairs of bespoke shoes he can produce in a year while using only the outworkers he is comfortable with (between 100 and 150 pairs). I seriously doubt that the demand for bespoke shoes will rise above that level; and if it does, I doubt that Tony will take more orders than he can fulfill. He is aware of the potential problem, and I believe that he is committed to avoid the trap. Regarding GG's capacity to turn out RTW shoes, that's dependent on the capacity of the production line at the factory that they've partnered with. I would hope that they're very well aware of what this capacity is. In any event, despite all the chatter on the forums, you have to realize that the orders that will come from us this fall are relatively small in number -- maybe a couple hundred pairs. That shouldn't present any problem at all for a Northampton factory, even if the shoes are all one-offs and require significant amounts of hand-finishing.

17. mussel

mussel Well-Known Member

So which factory is making G&G RTW?

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

So which factory is making G&G RTW?
    Carefully kept secret. Usually such secrets are hard to keep. So far, Tony has been the exception.

19. Roger

Roger Well-Known Member

You can divide this question into two parts, one regarding the RTW shoes and one regarding the bespoke shoes. Tony knows how many pairs of bespoke shoes he can produce in a year while using only the outworkers he is comfortable with (between 100 and 150 pairs). I seriously doubt that the demand for bespoke shoes will rise above that level; and if it does, I doubt that Tony will take more orders than he can fulfill. He is aware of the potential problem, and I believe that he is committed to avoid the trap. Regarding GG's capacity to turn out RTW shoes, that's dependent on the capacity of the production line at the factory that they've partnered with. I would hope that they're very well aware of what this capacity is. In any event, despite all the chatter on the forums, you have to realize that the orders that will come from us this fall are relatively small in number -- maybe a couple hundred pairs. That shouldn't present any problem at all for a Northampton factory, even if the shoes are all one-offs and require significant amounts of hand-finishing.
    However, won't the finishing be done by G&G in-house? Jcusey, could you tell us what you understand of the overall process for MTO? My understanding was that the shoes would be made--up to the finishing part--by the contracted factory, with the finishing being done entirely by G&G and their employees. If this is the case, a flood of orders could, indeed, result in delays, could it not?

20. LARon

LARon Well-Known Member

I, For one, have never let fear or doubt impede my judgment or decisions. I've decided that I like and want the shoes; and since I can't get them anywhere else, I'm going to the source -- confident and unfearful about tomorrow. In a word, I'm takin' it to the hole!