1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What does the STAR * asterisk on the heel / sole of some shoes indicate?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ShoeMeister, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's an extra device on your shoe for kicking a dead horse?

1 person likes this.
  2. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

I urge you to re-read my comments...if only for some much needed practice.

I did not say that these stars were to disguise holes, I said that this is how such devices/ornamentation originated. Clearly the star on the side of the heel is so much frippery. Neither functional nor particularly appropriate...no, nor notably attractive either. The stars at the head of the waist may have originated centuries ago to cover tack holes but with the advent of modern cement no one tacks the outsoles anymore. So again, non-functional gimcracks.

Why are they on your shoes? Whimsey? Pretentiousness? A joke on the customer? A Romani symbol for an easy mark?

Who knows? It's not worth obsessing about.

3. ShoeMeister

ShoeMeister Well-Known Member

I probably would have caught on to what you are saying had you been a bit more direct and concise and perhaps less long-winded, verbose, and painfully articulate, enticing what seemed to be a verbal exercise set primarily in 19th century England. After listening on a regular basis to the monologues in the House of Commons on TV, even the brightest chaps this side of Winston Churchill do not use such exhaustive, excessive linguistics. Love the adage "never use 7 words when 4 will do" (Rusty from Ocean's Eleven).

4. ShoeMeister

That said, thanks very much for your input and time- at least it wasn't a joke. But I don't agree. Seems like rank speculation to me because the stars are so random- I have rarely seen the mark, and only on high-end shoes (meaning ones in the $600+ price range). Seems to be something Italian, so therefore I am asking and will continue to ask and perhaps it will be narrowed down by some other experts. And while not a very tantalizing a topic, it certainly it isn't less interesting than a lot of the threads I've read on this site. Anyone else with some insight?

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

dude, if you are waiting for a better answer than what DFW will provide, you will be here a while. On top of that, acting like a douche when a very well respected and infinitely knowledgeable cordwainer takes the time to articulately explain the situation is a really poor way to get the answers you'd like.

1 person likes this.
  6. ShoeMeister

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

8. ShoeMeister

being new to SF, i have no idea who DFW is.. there was no introduction as to his shoe prowess and reputation. So perhaps don't jump down my throat, Mr. Quadcammer. And I did express my thanks, which is more than most people do in these forums when help is given (so I've been reading). And I have no idea what a cordwainer, nor a whimsey, gimrack, or frippery is LOL.. And probably neither do most Brits and Aussies. I have never heard those words before in my life, and I fancy myself to be reasonably well read and exposed to Old English :) I will admit the words do sound pleasantly melodic though... And regarding the star in the shoes... DFW provided a possible answer but he didn't say it was definitely "that". So, no, I am looking for not a "better" answer but additional possible answers. Oh and it wasn't exactly gentle in tone when DFW said "re-read my comments, if for so much needed practice" and "not worth obsessing about". One, hardly obsessing... and Two, the importance I wish to give it really is my prerogative, right? And this is now a mountain out of a mole hill. PS- I have read LOTS of threads where newbies are harassed and mocked for dumb questions by the senior members. I don't feel that personally yet :) Just trying to find out what that confounded "star" means...

9. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Keep digging.....

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

i give up. if anyone helps you going forward, consider yourself lucky because you don't deserve it with that attitude.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  11. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

Normally when you're new somewhere, you'll get farther by toning down the sarcasm. And since you're fond of Ocean's Eleven, I'll paraphrase - if you want to get an answer from one of the experts here, he's got to like you then forget you the moment you've left this website.

12. ShoeMeister

Actually JS... the first few replies were sarcastic... in fact, from what I read in other threads this place is sarcasm galore. But I will try to remember my place... thanks (no sarcasm in that).

13. ShoeMeister

--- I meant the first few replies from other people were sarcastic...

14. emsf

emsf Active Member

[​IMG]...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    2 people like this.
  15. ShoeMeister

Ah, that answers my question. Thanks emsf. Such wisdom!

16. emsf

emsf Active Member

^^^^ I thought you would get a kick out if that!

I checked all of shoes looking for the 'star' and it is on every pair of my Italian shoes but not on my English ones. I just wonder if its a clamp mark.

17. ShoeMeister

Interesting. It's another possibility, but I do not find it on any of my Italian shoes but one (I have 10 pairs of Italians 450-1150 in price). And the other picture I have posted is of a $1500 Sutor shoe on ebay presently, and that star mark is on the bottoms, not the heel. The seller tells me it is Sutor's shoe mark. I doubt it, LOL. I still think it has something to do with the welt.

18. ShoeMeister

Any more thoughts or quips from anyone?

19. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Sure and I suspect that this thread comes as close to trolling as makes no difference.

Post #7 was a succinct and accurate response from a very knowledgeable source--Bengal-Stripe. It was sarcastically dismissed out of hand.

Extending a "benefit-of-the-doubt" and assuming a sincere and more in-depth interest, I tried to provide some background and intimate insights into the process. Provoking more sarcasm and dismissal. All of the words I used can be found in any reputable contemporary English language dictionary. No Old English by any means...simply literate English.

But the thread and at least one of the responses, fairly begs the question:

How is it that someone posing as a "ShoeMeister" doesn't know what a "cordwainer" is? No, nor the necessary curiosity to look it up in the dictionary, for that matter.

--

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Your question has been answered.

Translated to Gungan:

Youssa kwestion haz bin answered.