1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What does men prevent of buying and wearing capes today ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Whitepigeon, Jul 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Whitepigeon

Whitepigeon Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback and honest reply. I will give you my thougths:

About "utility" as criterium for fashion. Nothing wrong about that.
    You are probably rigth that if this is the only and all decisive criterium for buying fashion,
    than I will predict you there will be not many capes in your fashion - collection.
    Probably you migth make an exception for the raincape.

But if "utility" is the only criterium : then let 's not only forget about the capes, but also the hats, the ties, the pochets etc.
    May be it is still for a lot of men a taboo : but it is really allowed to wear something because you like it or because of its beauty.

A cape in your fashioncollection can be useful too ( in my opinion) in that way
    that it can form part of your own fashionstyle and identity ( only if you like them ofcourse).
    Let's hope ofcourse that not all men start today immediately to buy and wear capes.
    ( If everybody wear capes, then they will become probably boring and then,
    capes will be no longer a fashion-item you can distinguish with.
    So let's hope that will never happen.)

This is another conception of "utility" ofcourse,
    and you do not have to agree with me in explaining this concept this way.

I think most men ( and they do not differ in this case I think from women) wear something
    apart from being practical or useful, choose a fashionitem too because they think its beautiful.

Nothing wrong with that by the way, and for this you do not even have to be "gay".
    I have no clear evidence so far, that if you wear a cape as a man,
    you are suddenly considered "gay" by others.
    There is no evident connection between men wearing capes and being "gay"

I do not frequent very much gay sites on the internet since I am not interested in that,
    but as far as I know you cannot see there an overrepresentation of gay men wearing capes.
    Actually I have discovered none but I have to admit I did not search for long.
    And even so : if there are still men having the fear of being considered "gay" when wearing a cape or whatever other fashion:
    I should say to them :" some people are gay, and...........? " We live in 2012, you really need some help : its time to get over that."
    Let this fact not determine your fashionchoice as a man.

Are capes only for old people then ?
    I do not think so.

Have a look at the pictures of the capes designed for this fall and winter and you see only young men wearing them!
    And yes, there are some old people too who like to wear capes.
    Like there are old people who do not like to wear capes, but coats.
    Nothing wrong with that : whenever old people dress tasteful and stylish.
    And the cape can be helpful with that too.

What do capes cost ? The prices of the capes.

1. For a knee - length ( ca. 1.20 mtr ) black woolen italian tabarro ( see ebay Italy and search under the word "tabarro")
    you pay around 100 euro plus shipmentcosts.

2. For a high quality black woolen long italian tabarro ( prox. 1.60) circle round with a black velvet collar you pay more.
    I bougth mine in a shop for priests under the smoke of the Vatican in Rome.
    It costed 450 euro but I can tell you : its one of the best purchases I ever did.

3. For a tabarro casentino ( heavy wool cloak; knee - length, full circle ) available in different colours I paid 220 euro including shipment from Italy.

4. My German "loden" cape was custom made in Germany. It is a full circle and lined. I paid several years ago 250 euro which was absolutely a bargain. ( apart from that I bougth the material in Utrecht on the market which costed 80 euro 's )

5. The Spanish Capa ( house of "Sesena" see their own website ) is expensive but you get value for money : 700 euro 's plus shipment from Madrid. Embroidered capes ( choose from different patterns ) cost about 200 euro more.

6. The designed capes for this winter. I do not know the prices from Dolce & Gabanna etc. You have to wait until they start selling the wintercollection.

7. Worth trying : have a look on the second hand market. You can find also nice vintage capes or officer capes, once used in the army.
    The cut and quality is good and they are not too expensive.

Good luck and I hope you can find one which pleases you!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Edit: I was mistaken.

3. 3dials

3dials Well-Known Member

No capes!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

I don't believe a word of this. You look ridiculous

5 people like this.
  5. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Actually, I do.

Americans (in my very limited experience) seem to love old-world-english-eccentrics. I wore a tweed suit while in Atlanta and must have been stopped about 10 times in 60 minutes by people - normally female - asking if I am "British" and generally chatting. I am only 23 and my outfit was significantly more fitted and innocuous that PTW's, but I can easily accept that the "wow thats cool" factor overcomes that "fuck you kreep, I want to wake up with both my kidneys" vibe.

6. Onlyoneoklahoma

Onlyoneoklahoma Active Member

This comes off as something that steam punk kids wear to Comicon.

I honestly cannot think of a place a cape would look appropriate at least in my flyover state of Oklahoma, even after seeing your albums.

Kudos on enjoying it, but I do not think one could be taken seriously at work if you show up in a cape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

I would like to wear one. They are more practical for rainwear than anything; air still flows so you don't get damp and muggy underneath, they aren't overly heavy so they stay cool but dry, they can be purchased without some stupid bright green techno-ultra-polly-super-fabric. I would probably be limited to black tie occasions, but the idea is really growing on me.

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Despite all the things posted about PTWilliams at his expense, the first hand accounts I've heard all say that women love him. If you can get laid in a cape, you've got talent.

10. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

I'm going to become the prime minister of Canada so that I can wear capes.

[​IMG]

11. Whitepigeon

OK, thanks for your feedback.
    Let me give you my thougths for what it is worth to you :

Start by yourself.

I think the mainpoint should be if YOU like to wear capes or not.
    If you are a cape-hater because it is really not your taste : allrigth !
    You have my respect. And that 's it. No more to say.

But in that case I hope you do not mind that there migth be other men
    who do like capes and are wearing them.

Respect them too.
    That's all there is to say : live and let live. No more.

But what if you happen to really like capes but you do not dare to wear them out of fear,
    - for instance- that at work they will laugh at you ?
    I would stay - like you - on the safe side and I do not show up in a cape to my work.
    What I do in my private domain and in my free time is my own thing.

On the other hand : times are changing.
    Capes are starting to be fashionable again and - suppose you like capes - this migth be in your favor.

I can give you a situation where showing up in a cape even to your work in Oklahoma would cause no problems.
    It is when it rains and you choose to wear a raincape.
    No one will question that.
    And there are raincapes and raincapes.
    You can buy cheap ones or you can buy the better designed professional ones.
    The better ones are made in Germany and Britain. Have a look on ebay if you should like one.
    There is even a fashion for rain resistant clothes and you have wonderful raincapes designed for men.

Now about your work.
    I do not know in what kind of work you are busy but not every work environment is cape - hostile.
    On the contrary. Very masculine professions like the army and the police used to have capes as part of the professional dress.
    Capes do still belong to the formal dress of US officers.
    Capes are still used by the Carabinieri and there are more examples to give.
    What I want to say is that it depends on what kind of worksituation you are.

I can imagine that in the Hollywood filmindustrie it is also not a problem.
    And probably there are more situations imaginable where capes are not a probllem at all.
    But there are also situations imaganable where capes do not work. Then : do not do it. Just forget about it.
    Keep your cape for your free time for instance your visit to the opera.

If there is a problem, I repeat it again, it is not because of the cape itself,
    but because of the whole of the combination.
    Yes, you draw more attention when wearing a cape.
    Therefore it is an extra challenge with a cape : choose your combination well and ask eventually feedback.

I do not know Oklahoma but I think if you wear a cape when assisting a wedding or a funeral,
    you migth draw attention, but when the combination is allrigth I am sure you will have positive feedback.
    When visiting a funeral or a reception in a cape make sure you feel good about everything you wear:
    from hat till shoes. And I am sure you will have lots of positive comments.

Well these are my thougths. Take it for what it is worth to you and I wish you courage and good taste!

12. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

There is a simple reason why we don't wear capes. Capes have gone out of style. The same can be said for corsets, wigs, and, dare I say, tophats. Even nice fedoras are practically costume clothing now, as evidenced by the numerous poor looks shown in WAYWRN. I can't imagine capes will ever come back into fashion. Because of this, wearing a cape nowadays will make it seem like you're wearing a costume.

The closest clothing item somewhat related to a cape that is still worn nowadays is the poncho. However, it's really more of a hippy or an andean peoples clothing item.

If you're a dandy or super SW&D fashionable it could work.

That said, if you really want to wear a cape, go for it. PTWilliams is pretty much the current leader of this train of thought on SF. He enjoys what he wears. More power to him. I, however, would never dress the way he does.

13. Whitepigeon

The cape may be part of his succes. Not because of the cape, but because he is who he is. Authentical. Authenticity is always appreciated. But fear reigns by a lot of men. They just do not dare to be a little different than others.

" What wiill they think of me ?"
    " How will people react ? "
    "Will they laugh at me ?"
    "Will they think I am a vampire or a rapier ? "
    " Will they think I am gay ? " etc. etc.

It's all fear.

What a tragedy when you look at this behaviour.

That is the reason why the majority of so called " real men " chooses to live like a grey mouse and will ever stay a grey mouse.
    They are sometimes envious on others who live more free and without fear.
    People who live authentical, - whether they like to wear capes or not -
    give their life depth and colour.

They become the colourfull men women are looking for.
    Chapeau !

14. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Screw it, let's all just buy capes!

15. Whitepigeon

Thanks for your feedback.
    I will give you some thougth of mine.
    Take it for what it is worth to you :

The first two sentences contain two mistakes:
    1. You talk about " we" ( "men" I suppose ?) who do not wear capes.
    2. " Capes have gone out of style"

This needs some update :

1. There are men who like capes to design, there are men who like to buy capes, there are men who like to wear them.
    I hope this is not a shock for you : some men like capes, get over it.

2. Capes have gone out of style. Correct. But they are re - styled again ( this was indeed necessary)
    and become now re introduced again in men's fashion. That's where my thread is all about.

Welcome back in reality.

Follow the news about this years catwalk fashionshows in Paris, London and Milan
    and you will discover : it s not all but still a lot about the new "mancape"

I think designers of the new capes for men have understood that it needed a re - styling to prevent the costumefeeling
    when wearing a cape as a man in the street.

You may judge by yourself when you watch the pictures of the catwalkshows
    if the designers succeeded in re - styling the cape for today's use.

Poncho's are NO capes.
    I have said this before and I personally agree with your remarks about poncho's,
    but again : tastes may and can differ.
    I do not care if a man chooses to wear a poncho if it is only a tasteful poncho and well combined.

No you do not need to be a "dandy" or a SW&D fashionable to buy or to wear a cape as being a man.
    The new capes are re - styled and ( also ) made for contemporary young men.
    Also for you. And you have the freedom to like them or not.

What PT Williams concerns : it is not my taste either but I respect the way he dresses.
    What 's more important to me is that he seems to me authentical.
    I like colourful people and differences between people.
    Also the way they look like.

Ever met a completely "normal "man ? And did you liked it ? ( Or was it a little boring ??)

16. Whitepigeon

I will tell you a little secret : you are good the way you are.
    With or without cape.
    And you do not need to have to be
    first the prime minister of Canada before wearing a cape.

You can start even today if you like to wear a cape.
    I think the cape on the picture will do,
    but personally I would suggest another hat.

Wear your cape if you like and enjoy it !

17. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

In case no one has noticed, whitepigeon happens to be the leader of Cape Union Local 55. The local 55 is trying get Capey McCaperson voted in as the mayor of Cape Town. McCaperson is running under the platform of, to no one's surprise, more capes for everyone.

18. 3dials

3dials Well-Known Member

What a capital caper if it could be capitalized upon!

19. Whitepigeon

Do you like one.........?

20. Whitepigeon

Hmmmm......envious ......?