1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do your parents do for a living?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Nathaniel72, Nov 25, 2010.

1. inter71

inter71 Well-Known Member

Father: In Poland, retired high rank army officer with PHD degree. In Canada, reputable millwright in food industry. He also designs and builds doughnut machines, belt conveyors, etc...

Mother: unemployed accoutnant

2. East2West

East2West Well-Known Member

Father: Engineer
    Mother: Economic Development in Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos ( = lots of traveling)

3. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Well-Known Member

Both my parents are engineers. Highly educated prostitutes, the both of 'em.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Dad is retired lawyer/diplomat/Nigerian govt civil servant. Mom is U.S. civil servant.

5. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

Dad works at big pharma.
    Mom is a retired synthetic chemist.

6. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

Union strong! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Dad is retired lawyer/diplomat/Nigerian govt civil servant. Mom is U.S. civil servant.

I think I recently received an email from him, informing me of my winning ticket in the Nigerian lottery. He was kind enough to offer to claim my prize for me for only a modest fee.

8. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

My father is a semi-retired MBA, lawyer and CPA who specializes in tax and corporate law and also dabbles in land investments and real estate development when he's not playing golf.

When I was growing up, my mother spent her time on Junior League and Art Museum League projects. She now volunteers for Republican Party candidates and activities.

9. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Dad - all around swell guy
    Mom - nice lady

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Father--died December 6, 1941
    Mother--died October 6, 1997

11. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

^
    was your father in the war?

12. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I think I recently received an email from him, informing me of my winning ticket in the Nigerian lottery. He was kind enough to offer to claim my prize for me for only a modest fee.
    I once responded saying that I didn't need any more money because I had too much ... and wondered if he might help me unload some of mine. Within a week, I had to get a new e-mail address.

13. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

aside from having jobs that aren't really that interesting to most folks, my dad used to partly own a strip club in the 90s. pretty notorious even. he once told me to just go over there with my friends and sign for everything ( I don't know if that included the girls ) but I never gotten around to even step foot in it. damn.

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    aside from having jobs that aren't really that interesting to most folks, my dad used to partly own a strip club in the 90s. pretty notorious even. he once told me to just go over there with my friends and sign for everything ( I don't know if that included the girls ) but I never gotten around to even step foot in it. damn.

This is probably grounds for having your ManCard revoked.
    The not steeping foot in the strip club, that is...

15. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Mom worked insane hours to put dad through grad school in physics, then stopped once he got a job.

Dad worked at NASA for 35 years -- lots of stuff related to spectrum management and tracking stations. No clue where on the GS schedule he ended up, but it was pretty substantial for government work.

He retired in January. They bought a canal boat in Amsterdam a few months ago and will spend half of every year on it meandering toward Paris. Mom volunteers at the Smithsonian. They're busier (and having more fun) in retirement than they ever were with work/raising kids.

[​IMG] God-bless them!

Dad was a high school science teacher, then principal, then a superintendent of schools. He retired back in 1998 at the age of 56.

Mom was, and is, what I consider a "professional mother". This is her life, and she did a damn fine job at it. Every evening we had a sit-down dinner with food always cooked from scratch.

They are both still very much in love and live on 400+ acre lake, in a house that they had built based on Dad's drafts.

16. MumRaww

MumRaww Active Member

- Dad is a psychologist with a PhD.
    - Mom is a journalist working at a fairly prominent TV station heading one of their news-related programs. One of the finest if I might say so!

17. MasterOfReality

MasterOfReality Well-Known Member

Mother - nothing
    Father - retired, was a bulk carrier / tanker captain. Retired 5 years ago at age 55. Was making around $180k a year before retirement, now makes around $100k from investments so they are finally relaxing and enjoying life to the fullest.

18. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Father: Disaster Relief Coordinator
    Mother: 2nd grade teacher/ Real Estate

19. Night Owl

Night Owl Well-Known Member

My dad sells building materials to Japan. Makes around $50k

My mom gives dying people sponge-baths part time for minimum wage. Makes around $12k

They are divorced.

so would you say being poor is genetic or enviroment

Mother - nothing
    Father - retired, was a bulk carrier / tanker captain. Retired 5 years ago at age 55. Was making around $180k a year before retirement, now makes around $100k from investments so they are finally relaxing and enjoying life to the fullest.

pretty harsh yo, mom raised you right

20. dave333

dave333 Well-Known Member

Mom went form pro mom to pharmacist, dad went from plasma physics to wall street to running a web design company.