1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you wear on long flights?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Plutoburn, Mar 19, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I sometimes have another word for fatties on planes, space invaders, Because they're invading my space. Some might be so fat that they take up two seats. A person should be able to sit in the standard economy seat with the arm rests down, if they can't, charge them double fare.

1 person likes this.
  2. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

Airlines should charge by weight. After all, it uses more fuel and costs more money to haul a fatass than it does my 135lb frame.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Yeah I always wear jeans with either a comfy brushed flannel / plaid or if I have something more formal after the flight then a ocbd. On longer flights I'll have a black vneck underneath and just take off the shirt and put a knit on to sleep. Always take my shoes off, try to wear something that slips on easy off like mocs or boat shoes and have socks to put on when I'm taking my shoes off. My long hauls should offer those foam sandals so you can wear those around and to the bathroom. I've flown a good amount my whole life and when I was a kid I always had to do shorts to be comfy. Now I can suck it up a bit. And if your jeans fit well it shouldn't be an issue. I probably pass out at least twice a month with my jeans on.

An unstructured blazer is always really nice as well since you have something to wear that looks decent but is also comfy.

I also run into someone I know at the airport like 75% of the time going to / from school and it's better to look decent than like shit. Don't want to run into a girl I like or someones Dad/Mom who's more connecting in sweats.

Depends where the train / bus is. In Nepal I wear a tee with jeans a hoodie, and boots and in Europe I'd wear what I mentioned up above. Asia depends on where the train is, Japan could easily be suit.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Of those explanations the only valid is dry eyes, otherwise it would be more comfortable to wear a blindfold/eyemask.

5. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Well-Known Member

I usually wear whatever outerwear is going to be approriate for where im going, some jeans (nothing to tight if its a long flight) and a tshirt with a zip up sweater over it. I always take off my shoes as soon as I sit down and I try to pass out before the plane takes off if I can help it. I usually bring a neck pillow too.

6. freddych

freddych Well-Known Member

lululemon kung-fu pants, t-shirt and a hoodie. i look like a total scrub, but for me comfort is key. i also normally wear my crocs slip on shoes, they just look like grey canvas slip on shoes and are perfect for getting through airport security quickly, but with TSA pre-check at most the airports i fly out of now, i may not need to wear those anymore.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

In most overnight flights to Asia (JFK-HKG, EWR-SIN) I have taken, people are dressed in chinos/jeans, slip on shoes (loafers) or easy off shoes (such as chukkas), buttondown shirt, polo shirt or sweater, and some kind of outerwear or blazer). In business class, shoes come off when the lie flat seats go down and people go to sleep. In coach, some people keep their shoes on, some take them off.

8. SpartanUndressed

SpartanUndressed Active Member

Bumping this thread.

I travel 16 hour flights every other week, and am looking for a new go to uniform.

Right now i'm wearing jeans, softest t-shirt I own, and comfortable lulu lemon sweatshirt. Not horrible, but looking for something a bit more comfortable. I'm not concerned about what the person next to me thinks, as I travel in first and there's nobody next to me.

Been tossing around the idea of switching from the lulu lemon sweatshirt and jeans to lulu sweatpants and cashmere hoodie? For shoes I always slip the slippers on from the flight that they give you or if those are missing i'll put on flip flops.

My goal is to look good, feel good, and be comfortable. Any ideas/tips? Also what's your go to carry on for long flights?

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Sunspel or Orlebar Brown sweats if you want to go that route.

10. michaeljohnr

michaeljohnr Well-Known Member

I'm cracking up here.

On a forum where people get verbally raped for choosing the incorrect whatever to wear whenever, people are suggesting wearing sweatpants for air travel.

I'm not saying don't, I'm just pointing out the high irony in the information.

11. SpartanUndressed

SpartanUndressed Active Member

:nodding:

I agree, I don't own sweatpants, and don't especially want to own them. Looking for comfortable and fashionable. Something that works in airport lounges, airport passport control lines, and long airplane flights. These are clothes you're going to sleep in, eat in, and work in (during connections). A lot of requirements.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

i wear rick drop crotch and a rick blazer over a cashmere tee so i am warm and comfortable but can still head right to the office upon landing

13. malcb33

malcb33 Well-Known Member

The key is as much merino pieces as possible and compression socks. Ultra comfy, never hot or cold and no heavy legs after the flight.