• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear on long flights?

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

last long haul flight these people were walking barefoot. barefoot! and they're going in the toilet!

during transpacific flights I bring along a pair of walking shorts and wear them before takeoff and wear my pants again before landing. yeah, I admit it.

Intriguing.

How and where are you changing into your pants aboard the plane? It has to be the lavatory, right? You're not wearing your shoes whilst you change, are you?

Last edited:

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't mention this the first time around but since someone bought up flip flops...

Toe socks are excellent for long flights. My feet tend to get cold but I hate wearing socks because they don't give my toes enough wiggle room. I've been doing the toe socks + flip flops thing for a few flights now. It does look pretty stupid but I don't care that much.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's no excuse for wearing sweatpants. Have some dignity.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's no excuse for wearing sweatpants. Have some dignity.

I don't ever wear sweatpants except when I am getting ready for bed or making my kids French Toast on Sunday morning. Jeans are not that uncomfortable. I don't take as many 10+ hour fights as does Globe, but I take some, and I definitely take a lot of coast to coast flights. I mean, you can sit in jeans or big boy pants all day. What makes a flight so different?

Artking3

Reaction score

Not sure if statistically significant, but dressing well has gotten me better service

I find this to be true. I always wear dark jeans, oxford or chambray shirt, blazer or sport coat, and easily removable shoes (for security checkpoints). Even for 10+ hour flights.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans and a polo for me. Comfort is a priority especially if I am trying to sleep. I can usually find an arrivals lounge, gym, or something if I want to shower and change after the flight.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are nerds, I do 10+ hour flights twice a month and I wear nothing but sweatpants, sneakers, and fleeces. I change into a suit and brush my teeth at the airport.
do you guys sleep in stiff jeans, button-downs, and blazers?

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

last long haul flight these people were walking barefoot. barefoot! and they're going in the toilet!

I've seen that as well, gross!! Seems to me that flip-flops or slippers are the ideal thing to be wearing on a long haul flight. That's what I do, put them in carry-on and change during the flight. After all one doesn't normally sleep wearing formal shoes.

How To Help Prevent DVT
http://www.tellmehowto.net/howto/help_prevent_dvt_4099
Second, consider wearing flight socks to help aid circulation of the blood during the flight. Ensure that any shoes that you may have on are not too tight as this can make circulation a little harder. Consider taking shoes off.

BTW on long distance sleeper buses, that have bunks not seats, they make you take your shoes off when boarding the bus and provide disposable paper slippers on request.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sneakers, jeans, heavy knit and earplug

I often see people wearing sunglasses inside planes at night wtf?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sneakers, jeans, heavy knit and earplug
I often see people wearing sunglasses inside planes at night wtf?

I wear my sunglasses at night because the sun never sets on being badass.

You guys are nerds, I do 10+ hour flights twice a month and I wear nothing but sweatpants, sneakers, and fleeces. I change into a suit and brush my teeth at the airport.
do you guys sleep in stiff jeans, button-downs, and blazers?

I'll admit most of my flights aren't 10+ hours, but I have no problem with a 6 hour flight in clothing a man can wear in public without being ridiculed. If your regular clothing is so uncomfortable then that's probably because it doesn't fit properly, not because of any inherent uncomfortability in those items you mention.

I've seen that as well, gross!! Seems to me that flip-flops or slippers are the ideal thing to be wearing on a long haul flight. That's what I do, put them in carry-on and change during the flight. After all one doesn't normally sleep wearing formal shoes.
How To Help Prevent DVT
http://www.tellmehowto.net/howto/help_prevent_dvt_4099
Second, consider wearing flight socks to help aid circulation of the blood during the flight. Ensure that any shoes that you may have on are not too tight as this can make circulation a little harder. Consider taking shoes off.
BTW on long distance sleeper buses, that have bunks not seats, they make you take your shoes off when boarding the bus and provide disposable paper slippers on request.

I've seen this a few times. It's almost always giant fat people with poor circulation who require that they take their shoes off. Of course, since they are giant whales their feet stink to high heaven. I've been successful in moving to an empty seat the few times I've been stuck next to one. I fear the day I'm on a booked flight and some leviathan decides to free up his toesies on a long flight. You might see me on the news that day.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my dior 19cm when I flew to Europe and didn't have an issue with them at all. Jeans really aren't as uncomfortable as some make it out to be. Sure, sweats would be more comfortable, but those stay at home. If anything's going to be uncomfortable, it's going to be having to sit next to some butterball gent with a foul BO.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Provided I'm not flying for business, I just wear the same thing I always wear: jeans, t-shirt/henley, sneakers (that slip or have zippers) or boots (side-zip or pull-on). I have a five-hour flight tomorrow, and it'll probably be an AA henley over an Alt A v-neck, Diesel jeans (still trying to see what I can get out of the turbo denim), MMM GATs (laces in, but loosely tied).

If the waistband on "real" pants is such an issue, you can always discreetly unbutton the top button while you're seated.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear lounge pants and a t-shirt + sweater. I love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads