1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you think: new E92 BMW 3-series coupe:

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, Apr 21, 2006.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

If I had a 6 series, I'd be pissed regardless. Thing is ass ugly. The E92 is similar but better. Less of the Bungled "look at how much I 'stand out'"!
    i like the exterior of the current 6 series.

2. Pink22m

Pink22m Well-Known Member

While not being a fan of the exterior, I do like the interior somewhat. At least they didn't omit the shifter. One thing I don't understand is this trend towards omitting the shifter, which unfortunately, seems to evoke the insipidly designed interiors of minivans.

3. drake

drake Well-Known Member

*sigh* BMW used to make such nice looking cars, just look at the 5 and 7 series pre-Bangle. :/

Regardless I think it's less cocked up than the 3 and 5 sedans are.

4. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

I really like it! More than the 330i, 4 door sedan. I didn't know they were coming out with a 335 coupe. I own a 2001 330ci and really like it a lot. So, I woldn't want to nor do I need to buy a new Beemer. But, if I was in the market, I'd definitely have this at the top of my list.

BTW, I was really amazed at how BMW increased the size and power of this recent 3 series yet it gets better mpg. That's great.

5. countdemoney

countdemoney Well-Known Member

The interior looks mid 80's Cadillac El Dorado. Way too much going on in there. That car has no soul.

6. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

I like the new one better by far. It makes the previous gen just look stale in comparison. I don't know if I could ever buy a coupe as a primary driver but if I could force myself to forgo rear doors I'd definetely look at this and (depending on the final version) the next g35.

My reasons for liking this gen more.

- The taller doors and smaller vertical side windows gives it a sleeker appearance and makes it more mean looking.

- I like the flat edges along the wheel wells, gives it a nice chisel detail instead of going to a soft round edge.

- The single deep crease in the new one looks much more high end than the previous gen. The previous door lines look cheap in comparison, and is something that is found on many lower end cars.

- The front bumper now appears to be a single piece with the front (ala audi) rather than a separate element. Creates a much more seamless appearance. the same is true with the shortened rear trunk and the transition to the rear bumper.

- I like how the new car has lowered side sills and an elongated door to make the car appear to sit lower and be more sporty.

- The side mirrors now appear to flow with the shape of the car rather than being an extraneous element

7. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

yes, it's real wood...
    Highly doubtful, given that the "wood" in the outgoing 3ers that were so equipped was either "grown" in Saudi Arabia or under the North Sea and that the quality of BMW interiors over every line (Including E46 -> E92 sedan) has gone down from the previous generation to this one. Except arguably Z3 -> Z4, but that one also moved up in price quite a bit from the original Z3 1.9.) As for the rest of the car, it's still far too busy and Bangled for me to like, but it's not as hideous as his other designs. I guess. But BMW doesn't care what I think anyway, because their cars have been skidding away from the things I value for the last two generations. A pair of Alfa 1750 GTV's and a retainer for a good mechanic sounds like a much better use of $40k to me...

8. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Highly doubtful, given that the "wood" in the outgoing 3ers that were so equipped was either "grown" in Saudi Arabia or under the North Sea

E46 interiors used real wood.

--Andre

9. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

Highly doubtful, given that the "wood" in the outgoing 3ers that were so equipped was either "grown" in Saudi Arabia or under the North Sea and that the quality of BMW interiors over every line (Including E46 -> E92 sedan) has gone down from the previous generation to this one. Except arguably Z3 -> Z4, but that one also moved up in price quite a bit from the original Z3 1.9.)

As for the rest of the car, it's still far too busy and Bangled for me to like, but it's not as hideous as his other designs. I guess. But BMW doesn't care what I think anyway, because their cars have been skidding away from the things I value for the last two generations. A pair of Alfa 1750 GTV's and a retainer for a good mechanic sounds like a much better use of $40k to me...

the question was whether it was real wood and the answer is yes. for crying out loud, try to stop bitching about everything so much

10. SGladwell

E46 interiors used real wood. --Andre
    It's plastic through and through. Ignoring the fact that it looks and feels like plastic to anyone who's been around cars that use real wood, how do you think BMW got real-world burl to magically fit into one of only two or three patterns?

11. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

whatever you say[​IMG]

12. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

It looks like the designer fell asleep after the first quarter of the car.

13. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

visionology: I think you have given a lot of the reasons why I like the car. I didn't know why I like it because I just looked at it and the overall aesthetic appealed to me.

However, I do like my 2001 330ci. It is the best car I've ever owned.

14. UMass

UMass Well-Known Member

I like the overall design. It is more of a evolutionary design than the five and seven series.

The rear does look "Hyundai/KIA-ish" mainly because the Japanese and Koreans have been copying European design for decades.

15. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

It's plastic through and through. Ignoring the fact that it looks and feels like plastic to anyone who's been around cars that use real wood, how do you think BMW got real-world burl to magically fit into one of only two or three patterns?

The trim in my E46 is real wood. I'm not sure how you'd feel it through the thick layer of plastic on top of the wood, nor how you've determined that there are only two or three burl patterns.

--Andre

16. Lamo

Lamo Well-Known Member

well, you know what he thinks about so called 'moderns...'

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

well, you know what he thinks about so called 'moderns...'

Tell me about it! [​IMG]

Jon.

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

The trim in my E46 is real wood. I'm not sure how you'd feel it through the thick layer of plastic on top of the wood, nor how you've determined that there are only two or three burl patterns. --Andre
    Oh, and the wood in the E92 is real. The reason it looks very plasticy is because they put thicker layers of clear coat (not sure what chemical they use?) since most people tend to be animals and a thin layer of clear coat would easily scratch the wood. I have no idea how he came up with the ‘fact’ that they only have 3 patterns of burl. I would like some proof before I take anything more out of this ‘fact’ as merely pure personal conjecture on his part. Older cars had a very thin (if at all) layer of clear / top coat on the wood trim, and at the same time the wood was a lot thicker. Jon.

19. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Oh, and the wood in the E92 is real. The reason it looks very plasticy is because they put thicker layers of clear coat (not sure what chemical they use?) since most people tend to be animals and a thin layer of clear coat would easily scratch the wood.

I like the matte finish intro'ed with the E65 7 series. The glossy finish on the older BMW wood trim show swirl marks which show up especially well under strong sunlight. I've been too lazy to take my 3M swirl remover to it yet.

--Andre

20. SGladwell

The trim in my E46 is real wood. I'm not sure how you'd feel it through the thick layer of plastic on top of the wood, nor how you've determined that there are only two or three burl patterns.

I don't know exactly how many patterns there are, but it is only a few. I once saw four E36's with the woodgrain package at a dealer. Three had the exact same "burl" pattern. One had a different pattern. I wish I had a picture, but that shut down the salesdroid's comments about "real wood" real bloody fast! That simply does not happen in real life. For example, look at old pictures of cars with real burl veneer inside, like vintage Rovers, or even real veneers covered in thick layers of lacquer so that they look plastic, like old Royces. There is considerable variation in real life burl veneers.

Though I suppose if you want to get technical it could be wood with a stock
    "burl" pattern painted on it, though that's hardly less dumb than straight-up petrochemical trim.

And Lamo/Jon, I'm quite sorry if someone having automotive taste not shaped by marketers offends you.