1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you think is the coolest car ever?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, May 15, 2006.

1. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

OMIGOD! Which one? Obviously must be the STi or Evo, right?

STi. I've done as much improving to the car as I can, cosmetically (removing the excessive amount of badging, taking out the godawful amber reflectors from the headlamps, a little tint, and its black) so I think Ive smoothed it out a bit.. Oh, and its a blast to drive with all the suspension work I've done to it. I love it.

2. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the Top Gear episode with the Bugatti Veyron. Sweet freakin' Jesus! That is a pinnacle of engineering and design that will probably never be matched in my lifetime.

A.

3. briancl

I've thought this was the coolest car ever when I heard about it a few months back, but I was just reminded when I watched Sunday's new Top Gear. It's the platform of Subaru's R2, with the guts of a Prodrive tuned STi. And it could be built and sold for about 70,000 USD or so. Unfortunately, only test cars will be built. But the car exists!

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2653

[​IMG]

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

After all, this thread is about the coolest cars of all time.

[​IMG]

Well, it's probably the heaviest car of all time. LOL. Seriously though, the 6 Royale's are rolling works of art.

Jon.

5. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

More beautiful/cool ugliness [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ugly is not a word I'd think to associate with the Pininfarina Mythos concept. [EDIT] Except for the wheels. They really, really suck. [/EDIT] Certainly, it's better looking than that hapless pimpmobile currently at Ferrari's top price point. (Enzo, right?)

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

For the record, I posted the Toyota 2000 GT like 3 pages back and no one cared. For the record, that's all. EDIT: My bad, I didn't post pictures, I just wrote it out. Whoops [​IMG]

7. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

I've thought this was the coolest car ever when I heard about it a few months back, but I was just reminded when I watched Sunday's new Top Gear. It's the platform of Subaru's R2, with the guts of a Prodrive tuned STi. And it could be built and sold for about 70,000 USD or so. Unfortunately, only test cars will be built. But the car exists!

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2653

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...A-1024x768.jpg

Hey briancl, do you know if Andreas Zapatinas, the former Alfa Romeo designer who is now with Subaru, was involved with this project?

8. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

For the record, I posted the Toyota 2000 GT like 3 pages back and no one cared. For the record, that's all.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't post pictures, I just wrote it out. Whoops [​IMG]

Duly noted.

Did you ever see all the 2000 GTs at Kearny Mesa Toyota? I'm not sure if the little collection of five remain there or not. As I mentioned in my post (#99), five of them sat beneath an awning for several years.

This place is like Playboy Magazine. Nobody reads. They only look at the photos! [​IMG]

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Duly noted.

Did you ever see all the 2000 GTs at Kearny Mesa Toyota? I'm not sure if the little collection of five remain there or not. As I mentioned in my post (#99), five of them sat beneath an awning for several years.

This place is like Playboy Magazine. Nobody reads. They only look at the photos! [​IMG]

No I haven't. I drive by that dealership every day but I rarely ever stop by one to just look around. Are they there in the show room? Perhaps I can make a stop tomorrow on my way up to Mitsuwa.

10. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Well-Known Member

No I haven't. I drive by that dealership every day but I rarely ever stop by one to just look around. Are they there in the show room? Perhaps I can make a stop tomorrow on my way up to Mitsuwa.

The cars were on the side street across from the Veterniary Hospital. They belonged to the dealership owner. A portable awning was erected and the cars sat beneath the canvas shade.

Since the dealership remodeled several years ago, I'm not sure where the cars are located. In fact, I don't even know if the same fellow owns the dealership any longer. But, it was really quite a sight to see them all lined-up there outside, under canvas, and simply behind a chain link fence without any special protection. Of course, few (if any) people knew what they cars were.

11. briancl

Hey briancl, do you know if Andreas Zapatinas, the former Alfa Romeo designer who is now with Subaru, was involved with this project?

No.. it was designed by Peter Stevens..

Peter Steven's is known also for designing the McLaren F1, Lotus Espirit, and Subaru STi (the body style that predates Zapatinas design.. PS = 04/05, AZ = 06)

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

This always worked for me: [​IMG] Regards, Huntsman

13. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

14. imageWIS

It's not possible to sell that car as an everyday car. It utilizes an anti-lag mechanism, which keeps the turbo boost always on, and while it works well and has an awesome sound when it kicks on, it severely degrades the turbo blades and usually runs the engine much harder than normal. This is fine on Rally cars, which oftentimes get their turbo blades replaced every couple of races, but on an everyday car, which doesn't have a support team of mechanics behind it, it wouldn't be too feasible.

However, the AWD split differential system is very cool, and can be applied to other cars.

Jon.

15. briancl

I still think its the coolest car [​IMG]
    It's not possible to sell that car as an everyday car. It utilizes an anti-lag mechanism, which keeps the turbo boost always on, and while it works well and has an awesome sound when it kicks on, it severely degrades the turbo blades and usually runs the engine much harder than normal. This is fine on Rally cars, which oftentimes get their turbo blades replaced every couple of races, but on an everyday car, which doesn't have a support team of mechanics behind it, it wouldn't be too feasible.
    Of course. Reliability aside there's another, taller hurdle. Anti-Lag is generally implemented by retarding the timing to extreme amounts during low boost moments (standing still or off-throttle) to open the exhaust valvles early and let some of the pre-combusted air/fuel mix into the exhaust manifold. This unburned fuel pretty much precludes any possibility of passing cold start factory emissions testing in the States.
    This is pretty much incorrect. Not that you're wrong, but Top Gear is wrong. Just like everyone who quickly glances at the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) on the Subaru STi. Everyone assumes torque ratio can be changed; however torque split is constant and never changes. The locking ratio of the center diff can be changed from fully open to fully locked with 4 or 5 other settings in between. Torque is always 35/65 f/r (41/59 for 06+).

Of course, how torque is transferred between two shafts spinning at different speeds can be controlled instantaneously while driving, but this is definitely not the same as controlling the actual torque split, which is mechanically decided at design time to be 35/65 or whatever.

If you listen carefully to the Prodrive Engineer on Top Gear discussing how the diff works, you can assume he is discussing how the standard DCCD works utilizing steering angle (new on 06+), throttle position, yaw angle, etc etc.. nothing new there. His brief synopsis of the actual workings of the differential describe nothing new with regards to torque split.

This topic has been discussed at great length.. here a couple quotes from people who know what they are talking about..

16. imageWIS

I still think its the coolest car [​IMG]

Of course. Reliability aside there's another, taller hurdle. Anti-Lag is generally implemented by retarding the timing to extreme amounts during low boost moments (standing still or off-throttle) to open the exhaust valvles early and let some of the pre-combusted air/fuel mix into the exhaust manifold. This unburned fuel pretty much precludes any possibility of passing cold start factory emissions testing in the States.

This is pretty much incorrect. Not that you're wrong, but Top Gear is wrong. Just like everyone who quickly glances at the DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) on the Subaru STi. Everyone assumes torque ratio can be changed; however torque split is constant and never changes. The locking ratio of the center diff can be changed from fully open to fully locked with 4 or 5 other settings in between. Torque is always 35/65 f/r (41/59 for 06+).

Of course, how torque is transferred between two shafts spinning at different speeds can be controlled instantaneously while driving, but this is definitely not the same as controlling the actual torque split, which is mechanically decided at design time to be 35/65 or whatever.

If you listen carefully to the Prodrive Engineer on Top Gear discussing how the diff works, you can assume he is discussing how the standard DCCD works utilizing steering angle (new on 06+), throttle position, yaw angle, etc etc.. nothing new there. His brief synopsis of the actual workings of the differential describe nothing new with regards to torque split.

This topic has been discussed at great length.. here a couple quotes from people who know what they are talking about..

Well, I never claimed to be an engineer. [​IMG]

Jon.

17. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

Good looking may be debatable, but definitely cool in my opinion. [​IMG]

18. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Good looking may be debatable, but definitely cool in my opinion. [​IMG]
    Crazy, it has no wheels or engine, instead, the front-load washing machines on the side of the car open and release a hundred overgrown mutant bees that are tethered to the car with dental floss. This is the propulsion system, and is measured in mutant bee power instead of horsepower. It's the future of eco-friendly travel. You have to steer by opening the doors, which act as an air brake, thusly increasing the drag on two sets of bees and making them slower on the turning side of the car.

19. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

Wheels are soooo over rated.

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The Bertone and Pininfarina cars are all nice:

[​IMG]