• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you shave with?

unrated

Reaction score
Yeah I've watched all of mantic's videos and other threads about preshaving, I plan on spending like 30 minutes on my first shave
smile.gif
I made sure to buy the styptic, haha.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
smile.gif
it's not too bad just a case of being a little more careful than you would with a Mach 3.

A straight on the other hand
eek.gif
think I had the razor for a week before I could bring myself to try it, now I love using it.

unrated

Reaction score
Is using a moisturizer sufficient as an aftershave? Or should I use an aftershave, let it dry then apply an SPF moisturizer (I use Jack Black double duty spf 20moisturizer)?

stylo 9000

Reaction score
^ go for the classic Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer, moisturizer won't cut it imo

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Timely thread as I just threw out my last cartridge. Never again.

Need some help with the Merkur line.

Is the Merkur HD model number 34C?

Is the 38C Heavy Duty "Barber Pole" Safety Razor more or less the same but with a longer handle and a slightly different grip? Any thoughts on it?

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Timely thread as I just threw out my last cartridge. Never again. Need some help with the Merkur line. Is the Merkur HD model number 34C? Is the 38C Heavy Duty "Barber Pole" Safety Razor more or less the same but with a longer handle and a slightly different grip? Any thoughts on it? lefty
ASFIK, the 34 and 38 are the same except for the larger handle on the 38. I'd say go with the 38 since you're a bigger guy. I found it to be helpful. If anyone needs a Merkur Progress or Feather cartridge straight razor, or a Saville Row shaving brush let me know. I don't feel like listing all this **** over at Badger and Blade and I've finally decided to ditch all my stuff and start from scratch.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Do people buy used shavers?

lefty

P.S. checked out the 34 at Art of Shaving and did find the handle pretty short. I'll pick up the 38 and go from there.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Do people buy used shavers? lefty P.S. checked out the 34 at Art of Shaving and did find the handle pretty short. I'll pick up the 38 and go from there.
Good choice. Where are you planning to buy it from? People buy used razors left and right. Check out eBay auctions for vintage razors.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lefty, art of shaving just re-brands products and charges more. order from here: Classic Shaving

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
ASFIK, the 34 and 38 are the same except for the larger handle on the 38. I'd say go with the 38 since you're a bigger guy. I found it to be helpful.

If anyone needs a Merkur Progress or Feather cartridge straight razor, or a Saville Row shaving brush let me know. I don't feel like listing all this **** over at Badger and Blade and I've finally decided to ditch all my stuff and start from scratch.

Wait - what? What are you going with?

FWIW - I was in London last week and considered stopping in at Trumper's (on Jermyn), Truefitt, and Harris (on St. James), but they had all closed by the time I toodled to their neck of the woods, and it wasn't THAT big a priority. Also walked right by Penhaligon's and didn't stop. ...What is wrong with me?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Good choice. Where are you planning to buy it from?

People buy used razors left and right. Check out eBay auctions for vintage razors.

I guess I can see that if it's a vintage razor and you have access to an autoclave, but the merkurs I'm looking at are under $50 so new it is.

Originally Posted by dv3
lefty,

art of shaving just re-brands products and charges more. order from here:

Classic Shaving

Just popped by AoS to check them out. West Coast has it for $42 so I'll grab it there and support an affiliate.

lefty

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
Gillette Good News

Barbasol

Damn it's ******.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mercur HD.
Delco blades.
Dr. Bronner's Shaving Soap.
Boar Bristle brush.
Shave Secret pre-shave oil.
Aquavelva aftershave.

Smooth as a baby's bottom, everytime!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You HD users don't find the handle too short?

lefty

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You HD users don't find the handle too short?

lefty

when I used the HD I'd grip it with my fingertips and let the weight of the head do the work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads