1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you scrimp on?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Britalian, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Air travel - unless you're over 6-2, anything other than coach is for suckers and elitists.

If you book through Marlin Travel, you can often get business class seats with British Airways for only about $100 - $200 more than coach.

2. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

If you book through Marlin Travel, you can often get business class seats with British Airways for only about $100 - $200 more than coach.

Their coach prices must be really expensive:p

3. modsquad

modsquad Well-Known Member

Lately I've been scrimping on prudence, moderation and restraint. I'm spending money like a drunken sailor. What Modsquad wants, Modsquad gets.

4. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Lately I've been scrimping on prudence, moderation and restraint. I'm spending money like a drunken sailor. What Modsquad wants, Modsquad gets.
    I bet Modsquad would groove for a Thick As Thieves suit from our own Get Smart. What other indulgences have you engaged in?

5. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I've been using the same Mach III razor cartridge for the past year or so, and I shave just about every day.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I've been using the same Mach III razor cartridge for the past year or so, and I shave just about every day.

I'm pretty bad with that too.

Aside from that, there's not much I scrimp on that I can think of... socks and underwear i guess. I never have enough of either.

7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

Yikes!

For me: no bottled water - tap only. Generic EV olive oil for cooking. I try and keep wine in the $9-14 range (taking into account case discounts), and will sometimes cut it w/ water, like the ancients. No organic produce. Sometimes beer on sale. C21 ties. Most books and CDs bought at discount on eBay, Strand bookstore, etc. [​IMG]

8. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I buy the economy-size "Le Chat"-brand laundry detergent.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I go thru about 1 cartridge/yr also without ever cutting myself. I shave about 3x/week so I'm amazed you go that long shaving everyday. Those suckers keep their sharpness hella long time. lotta bang for the buck

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Wow indeed. Unless you feel there's some possibility of inheritance some distant day, I'd have been inclined to tell the cousins to shove their 'invitation'. Or was it a themed party? Still mildly ridiculous by any stretch.

that is how they became rich. no, no chance of any inheritance, and they do the same thing every year.

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

toilet paper

Eef! Don't know how you do it... Nothing but Charmin Ultra for my ass!

13. Mentos

Mentos Well-Known Member

No classy coffees during the workday--company swill only. Also, no eating breakfast outside of the house on weekdays. In general, prepared meals only as events, not just because I'm too lazy to cook (this generally means no ordering in).

These goals are aspirational, not absolute. I'm trying to get a hold on my lunch costs.

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

that is how they became rich. no, no chance of any inheritance, and they do the same thing every year.

Steal their Matisse... The cheap bastards deserve it!

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I don't like to throw out paper so I have paper documents, etc. from many years ago stored.

16. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

I dont buy coffee out. 3-4 pounds for a freakin coffee is absurd. Praticularly when you consider the fact that it is not good for the waistline. Few of those a day adds up

Money and calories better served on beer in the pub

K

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Eef! Don't know how you do it... Nothing but Charmin Ultra for my ass!
    no, i just re-use [​IMG]

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

no, i just re-use [​IMG]

Hmmm... I just limit myself to 3 squares.

19. modsquad

modsquad Well-Known Member

I bet Modsquad would groove for a Thick As Thieves suit from our own Get Smart. What other indulgences have you engaged in?
    He would indeed. In fact, he checks the Buy It link on Thick As Thieves every day to see if it's ready. One button, peak lapel, close cut, right up my street. What else? I got a couple of Alexander McQueen jackets on Yoox for going out (one is straight off the runway from Fall '05), another one at Wooyoungmi in the Marais last time I was in your new home town (that's a great boutique and very reasonably priced), a couple of shirts at Relish for nostalgia's sake because they are putting the men's department out of its misery (and, I assume, disemploying the snotty guy) and I have more overkill in the pipeline. I realize that's a very slow month for some people around here, but for me it's a buying spree.

20. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Well-Known Member

I buy a lot of staple items in bulk, store-brand non-prescription medicine, and very little of anything else that isn't on sale.