1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of not wearing a watch?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dapperdoctor, Jun 21, 2012.

1. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

If you are totally well-dressed from head to toe, is it possible to be up to the style forum standards (insert chuckle here) without wearing a watch? I actually prefer not to wear one sometimes, but I wonder if this is a bad idea.

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I don't wear one. I am actually in between watches. I sold my last one a few months ago and have meant to get another one but haven't found the time (or the money). Honestly nothing has caught my eye. So, in the meantime, my wrist remains naked. I'm sure I'll be back in the watch game soon enough. Actually planning on restoring one of my grandfather's pieces in the near future I think.

3. dks202

dks202 Well-Known Member

I usually do not wear a watch. The only jewelry I wear is in my pocket (pen) or wedding ring. Nothing else.

4. Calder

Calder Well-Known Member

I only wear a watch at Weddings, and that's a pocket watch.

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yes, going without a watch is fine nowadays. I wouldn't think less of any gent for not wearing one.

6. dapperdoctor

wow...and I thought I was the only one....

7. shilleck

shilleck Well-Known Member

I feel naked without my watch. I don't know why but I always make sure I never leave the house without putting it on.

1 person likes this.
  8. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Just don't be asking what the time is :lurk:

9. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

I've been wearing a watch for the past 2 years. I am now just on my second day of not warring a watch in a roll. Am I am starting the find it very comfortable. I think I will only wear a watch if it is necessary now. Cheers.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This, exactly.

I wear one daily, and would feel lost without it, but as I mentioned, I wouldn't think less of a gent for not wearing one. However, don't you dare ask me the time. :devil:

11. lroberts208

lroberts208 Member

I feel lost without my watch too. But I'd rather lose the watch sometimes than lose my mobile phone anyday!

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I actually go without my phone often. If say, I'm going out to dinner, I leave it in the car, or if I'm traveling, in the hotel room.

13. dapperdoctor

LOL....good point

14. redtree00

redtree00 Well-Known Member

I gave up wearing a watch years ago. My Zenith and IWC are hidden away at the bottom of my sock drawer, maybe my grandkids will get a kick out of them.
    If I'm carrying a phone that tells time, what's the point of having a watch ?

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

You can choose not to wear a watch, but keep in mind that it's the watch that will identify you into an iGent category.

In light of the fact that everyone is wearing a soft-shouldered, minimally padded, spalla camicaca jacket, paired with a grenadine tie in a FIH configuration, while rocking flat front pants with 2" cuffs and a pair of double monks (unstrapped of course for maximum sprezz), the watch is the only thing to tell us whether you are a wanna-be or a true baller.

So ask yourself, are you satisfied with being a wanna-be?

1 person likes this.
  16. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I've gone watchless for most of the last couple of months and will likely continue to do so for a while. I'm not that into watches to begin with and my shirt cuff will often get caught on it. There's certainly nothing "wrong" with not wearing one, unless you often need to know exactly what time it is and don't carry a cell phone, or find it inconvenient to get it out.

17. opticalserenity

opticalserenity Member

Not wear a watch? That's like wearing flip flops to your wedding.

Sent from my iPad

18. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Well-Known Member

Well, you wouldn't have! *Insert terrible laughter* :lol:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  19. lostron

lostron Well-Known Member

its personal preseference.. i wear one sometimes and sometimes i dont, no set pattern

I would love an omega seamaster though...

20. dirkweems

dirkweems Well-Known Member

There are watch people and there are other people. The fact that you asked, identifies you as being of the latter category. With your computer, your IPad, your iPhone and your blackberry, do you really need a watch? Not really. So if you really don't care about precision engineering, quality craftmanship and elegant design, then you really don't have to waste money for the sake of fashion, custom, or because you appreciate timepieces and collect them. I like good Swiss engineering and my aftertax dollars sponsor schools and other charitable endeavors only because I have a weakness for Swiss watches.

As a watch fanatic, I think you can be very well dressed, and distinguished looking without any watch - on your wrist or in your pocket. A watch won't necessary complete your look, and in fact has a higher likelihood of actually ruining your ensemble. Also, dont forget, people make all kinds of character assessments and often try and judge you simply by the watch you are wearing. If your profession allows it, go watchless, avoid the watch tan, and keep them guessing. Perhaps one day you will actually care enough about owning a particular watch, and you will go buy it.