• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Deem as Worthy of Paying Full Price For?

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've noticed that SF members have a good know-how to purchase items at a discount. But what are some items that you would pay full price for? What are worthy of your every penny?

1. Suits

2. Shirts

3. Ties

4. Shoes

5. Watches

6. Others

Last edited:

Stiva

Reaction score
Please add watches at No 5 so we can enjoy the full suite of inanity.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh gosh! I'll start...

1. Suit - E. Zegna
6. Others - Hanes boxers and under shirts from Target

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
There are some things that you simply cannot, nor should you expect to, find at discount. This either leads to paying full price or realizing that you cannot afford it. Settling and/or buying just because something is "on sale" is an easy way to find yourself up to your eyeballs in **** you don't want or won't wear.

FWIW, the SF culture of "demanding a deal" that you reference was created during the peak years of the recession when there were tons of luxury and designer goods to be had on the cheap. Sellers here and elsewhere were getting away with highway robbery buying wholesale. Unfortunately, these deals are no longer as common, and so many are forced to chase the same thrill by buying ugly and unnecessary things.

Tread lightly. MSRP is not your enemy.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
In terms of RTW there are a number of limited run or collaboration items that simply won't ever see a reduced price as they are in high demand. Then there are artisan items that are so specialized or hard to find that there's no way you can expect a discount once you do. Trust me, it's easy to find many OTR or RTW things that you won't find discounted. Now, if we're talking about used or thrifted items, I'll bow out, as I have next-to-no experience there.

That said, I have the majority of my purchases made for me these days, so I've also gotten away from the culture of getting a deal. The things I do find on sale are much more by chance and I have to talk myself into needing/wanting them (i.e. I wanted a patch-pocket navy blazer, but this besom-pocket blazer is pretty close, and a great deal). I rarely know exactly what I want and find it on sale in the same foul swoop. By settling I've found I just set myself up for failure as it's only a matter of time before I realize the "replacement" item just isn't exactly what I wanted.

If you're lucky enough to either not be that picky or to find exactly what you want on sale every time, then good on you. You're luckier than me. However, the culture of chasing a deal lends itself much more readily to frivolous expenditure and eventual buyers' remorse than a larger initial expenditure that addresses all expectations.

Owen Meany

Reaction score
Considering I just purchased two staple Canaili suit at full retail - ill say suits....also, don't think I have ever found a pair of Carmina's on sale and I have 4 pair.

I would never pay full retail for a watch and my local AD would not let me do so, which is why he is "my" AD....

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly it is a good watch, Not only good 'quasi-luxury' watch comes with a heavy tag, but they do worth every penny since they do outlast you and can be past on to the next generation. Secondly it is shoes, I can say how much more elegant is a pair of bespoke shoes, the upper do last solid 10 years or above, and except the normal creasing, sole can always be reattached. I have a sting on buying fabrics, bespoke tailor and shirts on the budget.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy everything full price. If it happens to be on sale great. I don't haggle with people either. Being thrifty is not an attractive quality in a man.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've noticed that SF members have a good know-how to purchase items at a discount. But what are some items that you would pay full price for? What are worthy of your every penny?

1. Suits 

I will pay full retail for a suit that is for a special occasion (such as my wedding).

I'm assuming you are considering outlet stores to be "not full price." If I just needed suits for work, I would get them at Off Saks, Neiman Marcus Last Call, etc. With the abundance of nice suits at the Last Call near me, I can't imagine paying 2 or 3 times the price when I can find them brand new at a steep discount.

2. Shirts

I have less leeway here because I am a hard fit - but most of the brands I wear go on sale frequently, so most of the time I purchase them during sales.

3. Ties

Virtually never pay full retail. The quality ties I own retail for 3 times what I usually pay for them. I have, however, paid full price for items like Chipp grenadines, but they're only $49, and I plan to buy a J Press grenadine at full retail sometime in the future, assuming they don't have a sale in the meantime.

4. Shoes

I have paid full retail for maybe 50% of my shoes, but my collection is small.

5. Watches

My first good watch will be a wedding gift from my fiance's parents, so n/a for me.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
When Jesus comes back he'll be wearing AE seconds. Hope you boys are ready.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Firstly it is a good watch, Not only good 'quasi-luxury' watch comes with a heavy tag, but they do worth every penny since they do outlast you and can be past on to the next generation. Secondly it is shoes, I can say how much more elegant is a pair of bespoke shoes, the upper do last solid 10 years or above, and except the normal creasing, sole can always be reattached. I have a sting on buying fabrics, bespoke tailor and shirts on the budget.
I have implemented a process that will elongate the lives of my shoes even further. I wear my "nice" shoes only inside the office and wear my "cr@ppy" shoes outside from work to home.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that reminds me...I gotta go visit the Last Call that just opened up in my area for suits cus I think I have enough of "premium" suits...but that will change sooner than I can reply to your post

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I buy everything full price. If it happens to be on sale great. I don't haggle with people either. Being thrifty is not an attractive quality in a man.
+1. Most of all my clothing is at full price except for a few shirts and ties that I happen to find on discount. I've found that most of the items I like and in my size are rarely on discount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads